• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

death penalty

those punishments could also be making ppl eat spiders and go around naked on their knees in public with underwear on their head. not a good punishment that djould be used tho, just like death penalty

The death penalty is a permanent solution to an individuals tendency to commit horrific violent crimes, though. Humiliating them is not.

And the people saying "but rapists/murderers/etc are people too" and "I don't think anyone deserves to die" aren't basing that on how they feel? Ok.
Well in a way some are, but they're not wrong are they? I mean surely you don't think that every rapist/murderer is a cartoon villain and has no humanity or background to them? Although ''deserves to die'' is quite based on personal opinion and morals, I agree

It is kind of hypocritical, and I acknowledge that, but for some people who have committed certain crimes, it may very well be a better option than paying for them to live in prison for the rest of their lives. Again, I don't think the death penalty should be considered for most crimes; only the worst. If someone completely disregards the life of another person, and kills them in a horrible manner (like stabbing them to death), then I don't think they should get to live after that. They won't feel bad like you would; you're a normal human being that doesn't have violent intentions. How you would feel about it can't be applied to someone that has shown that they're capable and willing to murder people.

if you won't give someone the chance to repent then they can't, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to repent but that's the only way humankind can begin to learn imo. and let them repent in prison i'm not saying let them out that's another discussion that i don't know the answer to

- - - Post Merge - - -

The death penalty is a permanent solution to an individuals tendency to commit horrific violent crimes, though. Humiliating them is not.

a permanent solution that has many cases of the person being innocent. are you willing to risk one person's life for someone elses? if so then u live with the moral consequences as i don't want to

Last edited:
Well in a way some are, but they're not wrong are they? I mean surely you don't think that every rapist/murderer is a cartoon villain and has no humanity or background to them? Although ''deserves to die'' is quite based on personal opinion and morals, I agree

I think every rapist is infinitely worse than a cartoon villain and has no humanity to them tbh.

Murderers is where it gets cloudy 'cause I don't know if you're counting people who had to kill as self-defense or to protect someone else and whatnot as murderers too.

By agreeing with the death penalty you too are "okay with murder".

Yes, I'm okay with ending the life of someone that has willingly ended the life of someone else. I'll admit that. What separates me from the kind of person that deserves the death penalty is my actions. I have no intention of harming someone else, even if it could immensely benefit me, because I value the lives of people that also have no desire to unnecessarily harm others. I've never stabbed someone, never raped someone, never harmed a child, or anything of that nature.

I'm am honestly scared that so many people are ok with killing other people. Killing is wrong under all circumstances.

Last edited:
A question to people who agree with the death penalty, if someone kills the person who killed their mother, should they be sentenced to death? If someone kills an intruder in their home, should they be sentenced to death? If someone kills the person who abused them, should they be sentenced to death?...

If we start to excuse some motives for murder, where do we draw the line? The lines are blurred, that's not something we should mess with.

Last edited:
A question to people who agree with the death penalty, if someone kills the person who killed their mother, should they be sentenced to death? If someone kills an intruder in their home, should they be sentenced to death? If someone kills the person who abused them, should they be sentenced to death?...

If we start to excuse some motives for murder, where do we draw the line? The lines are blurred, that's not something we should mess with.

Id say most of the people agree with psychopaths THAT HAVE COMMITED MURDER getting killed

Last edited:
I think every rapist is infinitely worse than a cartoon villain and has no humanity to them tbh.

Murderers is where it gets cloudy 'cause I don't know if you're counting people who had to kill as self-defense or to protect someone else and whatnot as murderers too.
You're just proving my point you know.. Anyway even if I was counting only those who murder for the sake of murdering, those are humans too and have human qualities, such as emotions, a past, personalities, reasonings and things you can probably pity them for.

I personally think it's rather dangerous to forget that even bad people are human beings and not just monsters, since it just gives an excuse to forget empathy and to think in a very black and white way. Whether you like it or not, Hitler was a human being with all these human qualities. Him killing quite a few people doesn't change that.

Every rapist? So even those that are forced to rape others? Don't forget that rape has been used as a weapon of war as well, and there are cases of people being forced to rape others in order to protect themselves and/or their loved ones. These rapists are in turn victims themselves.

Your thinking is shallow and dangerous.

Hi all, please remember to respect the opinions of others even if you strongly disagree with them. There is no need to attack someone for having a different opinion and there are always perfectly calm ways to discuss topics like this. Furthermore, please do not post things like "where are the mods," "this thread should be closed," etc. If you see a post that breaks the rules, please simply report it and we will look into it. Thank you.

most psychopaths don't commit murder...

8sS1Rrj.jpg

Every rapist? So even those that are forced to rape others? Don't forget that rape has been used as a weapon of war as well, and there are cases of people being forced to rape others in order to protect themselves and/or their loved ones. These rapists are in turn victims themselves.

Your thinking is shallow and dangerous.

If the person was held at gunpoint and forced to rape someone obviously I'm not talking about them good lord. In that case the person doing the forcing should be called the rapist.

I don't know what you're talking about with the bolded

Honestly, I'm against the death penalty. The costs of the death penalty are ridiculous. There are automatic appeals that happen, there are habeas corpus petitions to the state, there are habeas corpus petitions to the federal government, and throughout all of this, you have to pay for incarceration.

I live in Maryland. It cost Maryland $186 million for the five executions it did between 1976 and 2005. It cost Maryland an addition $71 million for cases that sought the death penalty but did not actually get it.

This money could have gone elsewhere, it could have gone to crime prevention programs, to education, to literally anything else that might have stopped someone from becoming a murderer.

I don't think we should have the death penalty. It's not an effective deterrent for crime. It doesn't scare off potential criminals by making them think "hey if I do this they might kill me." That's not the case at all.

America has had issues with the death penalty. Black people get sentenced to death more often than white people, poor people get sentenced to death almost exclusively over the upper class, we've executed the mentally ill despite knowing that they were mentally ill, and we've executed people based on shoddy testimony (Look at the Troy Davis case, that was a massive miscarriage of justice).

When it comes to killing, I don't think we should put people murderers to death, with the exception of those who commit mass shootings or other terror acts.

I think it's far easier for us to lock away a rapist or a murderer and just let them suffer in prison.

I don't know what you're talking about with the bolded
Basically, people that were told "rape this girl or your family dies".

My point is that there's always a story behind why and how things happened. Like your example of people that might kill out of self-defense, people could also have involuntary circumstances where they end up raping a person, even if it's something they don't agree with (I believe someone earlier in the thread mentioned peer pressure). Yet with what you said, you don't appear to see these nuances, but in black and white when it comes to sexual violence.
That's also what makes it so dangerous. At which point, to you and others that support the death penalty for rapists, are such people not rapists and victims of others instead?

Last edited:
Back