• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Splatoon Run speed v. swim speed

Artistra

♥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Tasty Cake
Simple question: I'm sure we all have lots of gear in Splatoon. But if you had to pick run speed gear over swim speed gear, which helps you better? Does swim speed help you escape an enemy? Does run speed help you move quicker? I also read on Inkipedia that it supposedly helps you fire ink faster. I'm asking because I'm not sure which to go for for my red hi-tops.

It depends on your playstyle and weapons you use. If you engage in firefight a lot and use weapons such as N-Zap, Splattershot or Aerospray, I advise to prioritize Run Speed more. They're probably okay if you're using Gals, but personally I don't think it would make a lot of difference unless you put Run Speed on all of your slots, but it'll prevent you from using other useful abilities like Special Charge, Ink Saver Main, Ink Resistance etc. But if you like sneaking up or heavily relies on Kraken, Swim Speed will be a little more useful. The increase speed could help when randomly surprising people for kills and when you're caught in a bind and need to escape. I'm not sure if Run Speed helps fire ink faster though, I didn't see any difference apart from movement and you can strafe a bit faster.

Last edited:
I like Run Speed Up more but that's because I almost exclusively use Splatlings and RSU is the most important ability for a Splatling to have. I could also see it being good for the short-range chargers, but Swim Speed Up is better on almost every other weapon.

- - - Post Merge - - -

RSU does not make you shoot faster, that is complete nonsense.

- - - Post Merge - - -

(Another post sorry) Inkpedia says that you move faster while shooting, not that it makes you shoot faster. You do move faster while shooting so it is correct.

Last edited:
It depends on the weapon, but I prefer swim speed. I usually play with rollers and blasters which don't really benefit at all from run speed.

I like Run Speed Up more but that's because I almost exclusively use Splatlings and RSU is the most important ability for a Splatling to have. I could also see it being good for the short-range chargers, but Swim Speed Up is better on almost every other weapon.

- - - Post Merge - - -

RSU does not make you shoot faster, that is complete nonsense.

- - - Post Merge - - -

(Another post sorry) Inkpedia says that you move faster while shooting, not that it makes you shoot faster. You do move faster while shooting so it is correct.

Oh, I must've misunderstood ; - ;

I agree, though, I main the Heavy Splatling Deco when I'm not using the Squiffers, and while a lot of SSU has gotten me out of a bind, I'm still thinking about re-rolling. I could probably benefit more from RSU.

Unless you're hacking your gear, red hi tops are krak-on brand so they'll have a 5x chance to roll swim speed, so it's not worth going for run speed on them at all. Blue Biker boots are the equivalent for a 5x run speed chance.

In terms of the question overall, you can't really go wrong with either - both are just generally really powerful abilities. Kraken does get boosted by swim speed so that's something to consider. If you used a splatling that didn't have the kraken, I would 100% recommend run speed, but with the kraken, you can consider swim speed (although with this weapon, if you don't have these abilities on any of your other gear I would take any of special charge up, tenacity, ink recovery up, ink saver main, swim speed).

^^ Splatlings get 0 benefit from Damage Up, it's completely useless on them.

That IS good to know. Won't be wasting time with that when using the Deco.

I see what you're saying, Murray. I have more swim speed than anything atm, and I do have the blue moto boots (blue biker boots for you). I tend to wear a lot of Krak-On gear, simply because a lot of it is stylish and the SSU hasn't steered me wrong yet. I guess I just wanted to know if run speed was a better bet considering I've seen Splatlings in ranked battle with perfect run speed.

i guess it depends on what weapons you use, really.

run speed up is useless if you use chargers like me, because your running speed is usually really slow while you're charging your weapon up, especially if you use any of the e-litres. if you do use chargers, then swim speed up would be better to have imo, as it can improve your chances of getting away without getting splatted if somebody gets too close. it's even more useful if you use any of the chargers that have the kraken as a special ability, because then it can help you catch up to other people to splat them while you're using it.

i think rsu would probably be more useful if you use any of the rollers because then it'd help you ink the ground quicker. but i don't use any of the rollers, so i'm not sure.

I use Swim speed up but that's mostly because I often use the White Anchor shirt which has Ninja Squid and that really cuts into your swim speed.

i guess it depends on what weapons you use, really.

run speed up is useless if you use chargers like me, because your running speed is usually really slow while you're charging your weapon up, especially if you use any of the e-litres. if you do use chargers, then swim speed up would be better to have imo, as it can improve your chances of getting away without getting splatted if somebody gets too close. it's even more useful if you use any of the chargers that have the kraken as a special ability, because then it can help you catch up to other people to splat them while you're using it.

i think rsu would probably be more useful if you use any of the rollers because then it'd help you ink the ground quicker. but i don't use any of the rollers, so i'm not sure.

Rollers' rolling speed isn't affected by run speed up--however, I think it affects how fast you fling your ink (not sure if this applies to Dynamos). Typically a Carbon Roller piles on the run speed, I'm assuming it makes them 'smash' enemies faster. But I'm not sure.

Lots of swim speed hasn't yet failed to get me out of trouble, and even assists me when coming in for a quick kill with the Carbon.

But, as it was stated before, red hi-tops are Krak-On gear, so it isn't worth wasting time re-rolling for run speed when it has a 5x chance of swim speed. I can just wear the blue moto boots or punk cherries/whites (despite the lack of ink resist) or cherry/white kicks (these too), 'cause the punks and kicks look cooler imo.

Swim Speed since swimming is normally faster than running anyway, once you get good at 'swim strafing' you don't really need run speed. However on Splatlings Run speed is definitely needed and for short range shooters it helps.

Back