New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo Update General Discussion

The WA update introduced the ability to shake trees when holding one-handed tools. The "A" button controls both sneaking (for bug hunting) and shaking trees. Before the WA update, holding a net whilst pressing "A" could not shake a tree... now it can. And it sucks.

Hadn't noticed this thread before (I know, unobservant doesn't cover it), but just looked at this, the last page and seen what you said about now being able to shake trees - oh I so much agree with this, the number of times I've shaken trees while trying to do something else is now way too many - before I was safe so long as I had net/rod in hand, now, I've lost many perfect fruit from this ... I know, I need to change how I have my trees - at least not to have flowers/tiles around them.
I don't have them totally surrounded, but enough to lose at least one fruit from an accidental shaking. But as a lot of my trees front paths interspersed with flowers it means a major overhaul.
Most definitely an addition I could do without. The times it is useful are far outweighed by the issues.

Last edited:
someone help me!! where do i find my new dream address?

when the game updates, your old dream address is erased. make sure to lay on the couch in the dream suite first. then check your tpc. it should stay there as long as you keep updating the dream and/or the dream keeps getting visitors.

I haven't played since February. Has anything change post-update in regards to villagers moving out? I know it has for villagers you got through amiibo cards, but I'm talking about ones you got that randomly moved in or from another town.

I'm pretty tempted to changed the date on my 3DS back to February and just slowly TT forward day-by-day so I don't lose anybody. :(

Last edited:
I haven't played since February. Has anything change post-update in regards to villagers moving out? I know it has for villagers you got through amiibo cards, but I'm talking about ones you got that randomly moved in or from another town.

I'm pretty tempted to changed the date on my 3DS back to February and just slowly TT forward day-by-day so I don't lose anybody. :(

it has changed for amiibo card villagers? how so?

I don't think so. If you want to keep your villagers, I'd recommend doing what you said: TTing one day at a time.

Well idk if this was fixed by the update so it may be risky, but there was a trick at some point (that worked for me multiple times) where you could stop someone from moving on any given day, and you could TT from that day however far into the future you wanted without losing anybody. Though I haven't tested this since the update, so I would try to find out if it still works before attempting it.

I too need to know if somehing's changed about villagers moving out but because of a different situation!

It's my first time playing in a few months (I was playing HHD more) and also the first time I'm trying to move someone out since the update. I'm using the method I always used to use before but somehow NONE of my villagers have been pinging me to move. I've reintroduced myself to all of them and I've double-checked so that's not the problem. Help?

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't think it's changed in that regard. If you want to be 100% safe without TTing, use a brand new character to see if anyone's moved. If everyone's still there, just quit and load the game normally. That's what I did today to go back to playing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't think it's changed in that regard. If you want to be 100% safe without TTing, use a brand new character to see if anyone's moved. If everyone's still there, just quit and load the game normally. That's what I did today to go back to playing after a couple of weeks away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that since the update, villagers won't move on custom paths. I saw a thread where a villager did move on a custom path. They left enough room for the home and the extra door space. Is it just less likely that they'll plot on paths?

Is it also true that the 10th villager can now move out? Can someone who's had this happen confirm? I heard that Amiibo card move-ins are harder to move out. Can someone who's successfully moved one out also confirm that it can happen? What would you say the odds are compared to a normal move-in?

Also, I noticed that my villagers tell me they're moving a lot further away into the future than they normally would. If I can catch them on the first day of when they think about moving, they tell me they're moving in 5 days. However, I noticed now it's more like 8-10 days. Was this part of the Welcome Amiibo update or is it because my friendship level isn't at the max anymore? My friendship level shouldn't have dropped too drastically since I TTed to the last day that I played.

Sorry for all the questions! I'd really appreciate any insight, even if it's for just some of these questions.

I was under the impression that since the update, villagers won't move on custom paths. I saw a thread where a villager did move on a custom path. They left enough room for the home and the extra door space. Is it just less likely that they'll plot on paths?

Is it also true that the 10th villager can now move out? Can someone who's had this happen confirm? I heard that Amiibo card move-ins are harder to move out. Can someone who's successfully moved one out also confirm that it can happen? What would you say the odds are compared to a normal move-in?

Also, I noticed that my villagers tell me they're moving a lot further away into the future than they normally would. If I can catch them on the first day of when they think about moving, they tell me they're moving in 5 days. However, I noticed now it's more like 8-10 days. Was this part of the Welcome Amiibo update or is it because my friendship level isn't at the max anymore? My friendship level shouldn't have dropped too drastically since I TTed to the last day that I played.

Sorry for all the questions! I'd really appreciate any insight, even if it's for just some of these questions.

That may have been my post you saw, I'm not entirely sure.

In any case, a villager will still move onto a path if a certain "acre" in the game is too crowded. Too many PWPs, other houses, other important buildings, rocks, that sort of thing. So far, I've only had it happen with voided villagers from people who visited me, and villagers scanned through amiibo cards, since they seem to forcefully set a date to move in. If there's no adequate space for them to move in (even if it looks adequate to you, meeting house spacing requirements), they will then pick a random spot, ignoring paths entirely.

For this reason, I recommend having more than one ideal residential area, and try to arrange them in a way that isn't too crowded by other things, like rocks and PWPs.

I never once successfully moved out an amiibo villager, though I hear that other people have. Some claim you have to have every villager be moved in through an amiibo card for one to finally want to move out, and others say that they only had two villagers scanned in via amiibo, and they still chose to move out. So either I have the worst luck ever, or maybe they actually got that villager from someone ELSE who scanned that villager in?

Last edited:
I have 7 scanned villagers, and 3 normal.
After 5 months only the non scanned in villagers ping to move.

They even do it in order.
I never would have scanned them in had I known I'd be stuck with them forever.

I've grown to detest them.

What a horrible mistake, Nintendo. :-|

I started playing again today. I've only played a month after the update and then stopped playing.

-The Wi-Fi option in Harvey's camp, were there any special campers that I missed out on?
-Are the Welcome Amiibo cards already out of print? Why can't I find them anywhere at a normal price?

I have 7 scanned villagers, and 3 normal.
After 5 months only the non scanned in villagers ping to move.

They even do it in order.
I never would have scanned them in had I known I'd be stuck with them forever.

I've grown to detest them.

What a horrible mistake, Nintendo. :-|

My amiibo villager asked to move out after a week lmao

I'm talking about scanned in villagers like Wolfgang. Not these new villagers.

Today, as I predicted, Eunice pinged to move. Only my 3 non scanned villagers ping. In order, for FIVE MONTHS!

I can't stand being around them anymore. Knowing they're here FOREVER.

I HATE them! :(

Last edited:
I'm talking about scanned in villagers like Wolfgang. Not these new villagers.

Today, as I predicted, Eunice pinged to move. Only my 3 non scanned villagers ping. In order, for FIVE MONTHS!

I can't stand being around them anymore. Knowing they're here FOREVER.

I HATE them! :(

Have you considered letting one of your 3 normal ones move out? After they actually leave, there's a chance one of the amiibos will ping.
People sell villagers scanned with cards here all the time, and they're all scanned in and ping to move, otherwise it'd be impossible to sell them. So maybe the thing is you need to get someone out before. Or maybe scan 3 more and with an all amiibo village you'll get pings normally.

Good luck!

No. I won't risk only having 2 normal and 7 amiibo scans.
I want the 3 that keep pinging to move.

WHY did Nintendo do this?
Force us to be stuck forever like this! :(

Back