• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo Update General Discussion

Qwerty111

in spain without the p
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0356-6562-7610
Yellow Cosmos
Mint
January Birthstone (Garnet)
White Rose
White Tulip
White Pansy
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
Tasty Cake
Pear (Fruit)
We will be using this thread as our main thread for discussing the update. New threads for new substantial information and news are still welcome, as well as if you wish to start a separate discussion for specific aspect of the update. But minor news and general discussion belongs in here. - Justin

- - - - - - - - -

This is not a drill!

IMG_20160720_085215.jpg

The amiibo cards intended for Happy Home Designer and amiibo Festival will get functionality in ACNL! From what I can see, you can use the cards to add villagers..? But that's me. What do you think this is all about? Do you like it? Will you be able to invite special characters to live in your town?​

Hi all!

The update has hit and I wanted to add a few useful things to the OP.

This is a post by Temari which explains a few cool things and teaches the basic mechanics.

Here is the Animal Crossing Reddit. This is basically the best place to get new info about the update, as Nintendo doesn't seem to want to write a change log.

Feel free to ask any questions on this thread - someone will hopefully answer!

Last edited:
I was just about to post about this. IM SOOOOOOO EXCITED FOR THIS. I've always thought it was a cool feature from when I knew it was in e+ and I was hoping it would be brought back into future games. I'm so glad they've decided to use the cards for other purposes too rather than just for HHD, since some don't have HHD/don't want HHD otherwise I feel like those cards would've gone to waste. Now that this feature is being added I finally have a use for my NFC reader. I definitely think these cards move villagers into your town - as that's the role the last cards played for animal crossing e+ and it appears to do the same role but in a different way in HHD and judging by the screenshot that's definitely what they do. However, I don't think it means you can invite specials to live in your town but more like they can visit town. I guess this can give nintendo an opportunity to possibly distribute the villagers who weren't given out as DLC in HHD but were found in the games coding, so hopefully that happens! Also it gives them a huge huge opportunity to give special characters who were removed from ACNL but were in previous games a chance to reappear. For example in the screenshot you can see Wisp who was removed. Maybe there'll even be a card for Serena.. hm. I'm way too happy about this - it's beyond belief. I'll probably invite villagers that are really hard to find on here into town, which will probably be an easier method of getting them instead of waiting it out here.

Last edited:
Holy **** literally a game changer

Although I can see why some people feel this is a great update IMO it really isn't, its just adding a few functionality features for the amiibo cards so they can make more money from the cards, simple. it literally adds nothing to the game itself, shame really as I hoped they would add something alot more useful

RIP Villager Trading Plaza

2013-2016

Also holy ****, welcome back Wisp. Missed you

HOLY MOLY OMG I CANT EVEN WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
i need more cards why are you doing this to me. omg.
now you can actually plan your town and just invite the villager via your card i what this is what?????
is it april fools day??? because i cant believe they are actually doing this

O----O

Need to start collecting again!

Last edited:
This is gonna be a huge game changer...

Still, I wonder if it'll include anything else, or it'll be exclusive to Amiibo card users. There is an unique piece of furniture from HHD in that pic with Wisp. So maybe NL will get new furniture?

OMG. I can't believe they are updating a 3 year old game. I'd rather see them working on the next AC game instead of updating ACNL...

Whatever. I don't use anything Amiibo-related, so this update doesn't bring much to me (I don't care about the Splatoon content either)... But at least, I hope this update will bring a few other changes, bug fixes, stability, etc. That would be great! No more corruption maybe? :'D

OH DEAR GOD.
This is coming 3 years too late but it's SO EXCITING. It's a game changer - it'd be so much easier to get dreamies (which, is kinda too bad, as I already have most of mine....)
I can't believe they're updating it this late after release. I never expected a New Leaf update! I hope we get to see more new content. I'm very curious to see what the cards and amiibos will do... And now I need to keep collecting them :D

This is gonna be a huge game changer...

Still, I wonder if it'll include anything else, or it'll be exclusive to Amiibo card users. There is an unique piece of furniture from HHD in that pic with Wisp. So maybe NL will get new furniture?

Oh wow. THIS would be great!

When I saw this news I was just shocked...In a positve way! Because I never thought NL would get
an update after 3 years. I really happy about this!

There is an unique piece of furniture from HHD in that pic with Wisp. So maybe NL will get new furniture?
Do you mean the table? Because that's definitely an item, which you only get in HHD:

View attachment 177915
(At least I think that that's the table we see on the pic which Wisp)

It would be really amazing if we get also a lot of the new items from HHD with this update. D:

Nintendo understands that Amiibo Festival and Happy Home Designer were not as popular as their main series games, especially New Leaf. I am very happy they decided to come back to it after the time it's been out to update it to include amiibo functionality. Scan cards to get villagers? I wonder if this will make it easier to earn dreamies? This is crazy awesome!

I am . . . really not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's great to have the amiibo cards serve some other purpose. (I never bought HHD, so I still don't have any cards at all.) On the other hand, villagers-on-demand does seem to take some of the fun and magic out of the game. I enjoy both the randomness of the original game and the fun of trading with others. If everyone's now going to be obsessively collecting these cards, it seems like the game will be a bit too easy to control. Someone's going to get the Fauna card and just be churning out Faunas for other players. But hey, maybe other people will enjoy that new style?

I would, however, LOVE to see some of the items and customization abilities from HHD appear in NL.

OH MY GOSH I'M SO EXCITED????

Only thing is that it's a really long shot but I wish that maybe they would give like. an extra home slot or two to people with amiibo cards or something? Because I already have more dreamies than I have room for but none of them are in my amiibo card collection yet

- - - Post Merge - - -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...mal-crossing-new-leaf-is-getting-a-big-update Okay so there appears to be a larger version of the same ad in this article, does anyone else see Callie and Marie almost looking like villagers?? I'm sure that can't be it but I would cry if that was it

I can't wait! I've never been into the whole amiibo thing, but it sounds like it could be pretty fun.

Time to stock up on some more cards! I have a lot of dreamies as cards but I need a few more!

Back