• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Period Talk!

just a Little question: Before having your first period, did you know about it? My sister is 10 years old and I'm worried about her not knowing what is...

Wait what the hell is a cup and where can I get one

I try to only use tampons because I hate the feeling of just.. bleeding out. The first few days I'll use both, just in case I leak, especially during school.

just a Little question: Before having your first period, did you know about it? My sister is 10 years old and I'm worried about her not knowing what is...

There is often side effects that come before having a period, such as mood swings and cramps. Sometimes vomiting and altogether feeling uncomfortable.
Sometimes these side effects don't happen though, but it's not very common.

In my opinion - something has gone wrong if any 10 year old has not been educated on the basics of these normal bodily functions by the time they're 10 years of age. Unless parents worked very very hard to prevent their child learning such things, it wouldn't happen in my country. Or, I suppose, if the child chose to ignore all health and human development info given in every year...

I've known a couple of people who had no idea about menstruation before it happened to them, but these people have been either migrants or else are quite old and had a very different education than we receive now.

If I were you, I'd be talking with her parents and making sure they've prepared her for the normal changes that will happen to her over time. These bodily functions don't have to be scary or particularly embarrassing; being prepared in advance will go a long way to helping her be okay with what happens.

Last edited:
I was 11 when I got it in the summer. I woke up and went to pee. Looked at my bottoms and I thought I pooped my pants when I was sleeping. I told my mom and she saw and she congratulated me for getting my first period! First period was symbolically the day I became a woman. I was a bit nervous but mostly calm about it because I learned about it before in sex ed.

i didn't even think about it or know about it all too well - I just thought "wtf is wrong with me"

Yeah, I knew what it was, but I didn't fully understand how it worked. My school did a terrible job at explaining periods. All I knew was that you would one day start bleeding. I thought that it would never stop. I thought you would bleed forever nonstop until you reached menopause. Thank God that's not how it really works.

ye i did, i guess my mom told me stuff or i learned by myself can't remember...

I got my first period a month after my 12th birthday. I was incredibly lucky, it happened during spring break so I didn't have to go back to school until it was already over. At first I thought I ****ted myself without knowing and had no idea that could happen xD Then after I changed my underwear it happened again and I was like.... "OH YEAH I FORGOT PERIODS EXISTED" My mom wasn't home at the time, but I knew where she put them, so I just put one on and went back to my game like nothing happened until I told her the news when she got home. x)

I pretty much use both tampons and pads. I normally use both if I'm going out of the house for a long time just in case. I've never tried using a cup, I think I'm too paranoid to do so, but maybe one day I'll give it a go. I've been using birth control for almost 3 years now, but I recently stopped taking them. I didn't stop because I wanted to get pregnant or anything like that. I just want to take a break from it for a bit, since my body has been on it for so long.

Last edited:
I first got my period when I was at the age of 13. About the same time when my body began to change too. It's rare that I suffer with them badly, but last night I couldn't even stand up. The cramps put me in such severe pain and it was too hot for water bottles. A few painkillers were useless. I curled up in a ball on my bed and watched a film to distract myself. Sometimes you just gotta take the pain!

I was 9 when I first got mine.
I use pads, but honestly when it's that time of the month, I can't do anything.
The cramps are extremely bad, and it probably doesn't help that I have an ovarian cyst.
No amount of medication helps, and I usually wind up locked up in my room all day, bent over and absolutely miserable.

I was 9 when I first got mine.
I use pads, but honestly when it's that time of the month, I can't do anything.
The cramps are extremely bad, and it probably doesn't help that I have an ovarian cyst.
No amount of medication helps, and I usually wind up locked up in my room all day, bent over and absolutely miserable.

holy crap that sucks. is there anything to do about it? like, can you remove the cryst or something aaaa ;w;

Hell
I first got mine when I was 9. Already knew what it was, and I had a bag of pads already. Didn't get my period in 2-month incriments for awhile. Been using pads but I wanna use tampons, my flow if too heaaavvyy. Cramps aren't too bad.

holy crap that sucks. is there anything to do about it? like, can you remove the cryst or something aaaa ;w;

I'm not even sure, honestly; I've never seen a doctor about it, and the only reason I actually know it's there is because it was found during an ultrasound that I had almost 2 years ago for something else

The cyst could probably be removed if I went to see someone about it, but the thought of that and having surgery honestly terrifies me ;-;

I'm not even sure, honestly; I've never seen a doctor about it, and the only reason I actually know it's there is because it was found during an ultrasound that I had almost 2 years ago for something else

The cyst could probably be removed if I went to see someone about it, but the thought of that and having surgery honestly terrifies me ;-;

hmm yeah but maybe you should go to a doctor about it? it really sounds horrible for you to have to suffer for like a week each month. it might be wort it?

Haha this is funny omg

why

i got my first on july 4th 2015

my back always hurts terribly when i get my period.. i can only lay down. i use pads, but they irritate me. i want to use tampons but i doubt my mom would let me because she thinks i'll get tss.

hmm yeah but maybe you should go to a doctor about it? it really sounds horrible for you to have to suffer for like a week each month. it might be wort it?

Maybe...I thought I had found a solution a couple years ago; there apparently was some sort of injection I could get once a month that would stop my periods, but my mom wouldn't allow me to get it since it could wind up with me never being able to get pregnant (which was definitely fine with me, since I don't want children), but she wouldn't budge.

Maybe if I can muster up the courage to actually go and see a doctor about this, I'll do it...until then, I guess I just have to suffer.

5UxtCBq.jpg

My favorite period is Picasso's Blue Period.

Back