• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mental Illness Thread

self-dx can be confusing but can give you some reasons/explanations .. no matter how much u think u have tho, u are completely valid, my friend <3
and dissociative oh my loRD i dissociate sometimes but not excessively.. i think i see different colours when dissociating, anyone have an idea if thts normal lol

i have an dissociative disorder which basically means i dissociate pretty mch All The Time and yee i think it's normal? i don't personally experience that, but i know that your sight can get weird when dissociating ("tunnel vision", blurry etc).

and a question for you wo dissociate: how do you feel about grounding? my therapist wanted me to try some groubding techniques over the summer to see what works, but honestly i never really get properly grounded and it just feels worse. like, some of the feeling that my body isn't real disappears, but the "lol nothing is real and i don't exist"-feeling just gets stronger which isn't very nice like.., at all.,,.

I haven't gotten professionally diagnosed but often I feel like people are just being nice to me to be nice. That they don't actually like me. I get that feeling with my college friends and my boyfriend's sisters and I hate it. It gets to the point where my mind convinces me and I need to seek out a real life piece of evidence to prove it isn't true. I also end up avoiding conversation with them to avoid the embarrassment of them pitying me.

Not sure if this is a symptom of something or not.

i have an dissociative disorder which basically means i dissociate pretty mch All The Time and yee i think it's normal? i don't personally experience that, but i know that your sight can get weird when dissociating ("tunnel vision", blurry etc).

and a question for you wo dissociate: how do you feel about grounding? my therapist wanted me to try some groubding techniques over the summer to see what works, but honestly i never really get properly grounded and it just feels worse. like, some of the feeling that my body isn't real disappears, but the "lol nothing is real and i don't exist"-feeling just gets stronger which isn't very nice like.., at all.,,.

hm.. ive been told of grounding techniques before, it's basically like you're trying to get your brain to realise and focus on your surroundings. I sometimes do them when i am experiencing severe anxiety in public but most of the time i forget.. not too sure how its supposed to work when dissociating, but most likely its the same concept. Im quite sure it works for me.. personally.. with practice.. it may sound absurd, but my therapist once told me to imagine that i am a tree, like roots planted in the earth and whole body breathes rather than just my lungs.
maybe all you need is practice? try practicing with your therapist or family.. ik it can be hard to do alone so maybe if you train your mind to focus, you'll be able to do it on your own..

ADHD and autism spectrum

thanks to those "problems" I'll be 4ever alone

I guess idc

Last edited:
hm.. ive been told of grounding techniques before, it's basically like you're trying to get your brain to realise and focus on your surroundings. I sometimes do them when i am experiencing severe anxiety in public but most of the time i forget.. not too sure how its supposed to work when dissociating, but most likely its the same concept. Im quite sure it works for me.. personally.. with practice.. it may sound absurd, but my therapist once told me to imagine that i am a tree, like roots planted in the earth and whole body breathes rather than just my lungs.
maybe all you need is practice? try practicing with your therapist or family.. ik it can be hard to do alone so maybe if you train your mind to focus, you'll be able to do it on your own..

yeah idk. maybe you're right, i'll have to try it a bit more haha

I have anxiety, social anxiety, depression, and PMDD. In high school and towards the end of college, I nearly lost my battle to depression. Now I am 22. I recently graduated university, got a job I love, and I have a boyfriend who helps me so much, and who I love dearly.

To all you who still struggle, remember that no matter how dark it may seem, it WILL get better. Just keep living. Seek help, and keep living. For me, therapy and prozac helped me. Finding someone to talk to was the best thing ever. After a lifetime of not being able to discuss what's on my mind, talking was amazing. Also, writing things down in a private journal or blog (public or private) will help you see and organize your thoughts.

OP I'm actually really curious about your feelings towards your BPD diagnosis. I've found in my experiences in school that patients diagnosed with personality disorders aren't often told about the diagnosis. I've also seen them really over-diagnosed which I think is unfortunate. If you're more comfortable talking by pm feel free!

Edit: Also I have MDD but it's very well controlled now with medication :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I haven't gotten professionally diagnosed but often I feel like people are just being nice to me to be nice. That they don't actually like me. I get that feeling with my college friends and my boyfriend's sisters and I hate it. It gets to the point where my mind convinces me and I need to seek out a real life piece of evidence to prove it isn't true. I also end up avoiding conversation with them to avoid the embarrassment of them pitying me.

Not sure if this is a symptom of something or not.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily a symptom of anything but what you're describing is one of the thought patterns that's commonly treated with Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. If you're not seeing a therapist at all it could be really helpful to learn skills to stop those patterns of thinking!

Last edited:
I have bpd & bipolar 1, it's not a good combination. I also have a lot of anxiety problems & flashbacks/trauma stuff but bpd & bipolar are diagnosed. It's really not a good combination. I was given medication for major depression years ago, and that spiralled me into a really intense/psychotic manic phase, I won't go into my mania because it's honestly horrible and terrifying, I recently found a notebook thing from when I was manic a while back and let's just say... yeah... super delusional and psycothic, honestly. It's scary, literally having 0 concept of reality mixed with delusions, hallucinations and paranoid thoughts is the worst. After that happening they realised I had bipolar and not unipolar depression. I've had a whole lot of issues since I was really really young, it gets hard and stuff but yeah, I'm in a pretty bad depressive phase at the momment but I'm used to it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

yeah I feel the exact same actually, I don't like it. I guess it works for some people and not others but I'm not trying it again because nothing seems to work and I just end up stressed af after it all and its not worth it to me, i just suffer through it instead, lmao. I hope you find something that works for you though!!

So far I've been diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression (which is followed by suicidal tendincies), ocd, paranoia, and mild anorexia. I think I have slight insomnia (it hasn't been diagnosed but it does run in the family). I take medication for my anxiety and depression, but never been hospitalized for anything related to the matter.

So for about a month, though I haven't been diagnosed, I had some form of psychosis. It was during a time in high school when I had a severe lack of sleep, since I had a lot of homework and I had super-confusing teachers who were picky at the same time, thus almost failing their classes. I had severe hallucinations, from seeing things that weren't their to constantly hearing someone calling out my name or for someone else, even though nobody said anything. It was already bad enough I was diagnosed with ADD. It went away when I finally started sleeping right (When I started getting less homework), which is good since a website said that if it lasted more than 6 months, it would be full on schizophrenia.

anxiety is the only thing i have. a lot of people i know have anxiety as well, so idk i just talk to them about it to cope. it doesn't affect me too much, i got used to it.

i have very bad depression/anxiety and listening to jpop, and browsing tbt helps with that a bit <3

I've been diagnosed with severe depression an consequently anxiety decided to come with it. Since my diagnosis, I've gone through counseling, and I am currently on 50 mg of pristiq as well as ativan. I have also started exercising more, watching what I eat, and sleeping.

Thankfully those changes have been working for me. I get to see my doctor again in September and hopefully I can start weening off of my medication.

ADHD, OCD, Anxiety, Tourettes (I don't know if it counts) and depression.
I also have pretty bad sleeping issues but I really don't want to take anymore meds because I'm done with the amount of meds I need. I had them changed recently and I've been feeling drowsy and I hate it.

I have been diagnosed with severe depression, along with anxiety. I don't really talk about it much, due to it makes me feel like people will automatically judge me.

It started at 13, after being released from being hospitalized in Le Bohneur. Since 2, I've had Nephrotic Syndrome. I took prednisone for years, along with a transplant medicine. My case is pretty bad, even though I've never had a kidney transplant.

At 15, I was put in a mental institution for my depression. I tried to kill myself.
It went on for months. I battled with myself for a long time after getting taken off my medicine.
I self harmed up until 17, and it started around 14. I have a thing about crying for small things, and it still gets to me.
I slept for days on end, and it basically took a toll on my health. I took Zoloft for it.

Meh.. Sorry if this post is all over the place.

I'm here for anyone who ever needs help. <3

Back