• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Splatoon Maining a Weapon: Does It Make Sense?

Artistra

♥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Tasty Cake
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had a 'main weapon'. I had watched a YouTube video about maining weapons by ThatSRB2Dude, and he had said that the idea of maining weapons came from Smash players who main characters and applied the concept to Splatoon.

I don't entirely disagree with him on that. Smash did get me accustomed to having a go-to character, and a secondary as a fallback of sorts. But in my opinion, I'm okay with mains. Maining a weapon doesn't mean you have to only use that particular weapon only, and that it can't change. It just means that there's one weapon, like a character, that you find particularly favorable and that you have the most experience with as a result.

But what do you think? Does maining a weapon make sense for Splatoon? Should it be one for all or all for all? Do you have a main and secondary weapon? What are they?

I mean, I think that you have to be flexible with weapons if you want to play splatoon on a higher level, and you have to adapt your weapon choice that what your team needs

But I have a few weapons I tend to play alot with, those are the carbon roller, splattershot jr, splash o matic and any blaster

Maining a weapon makes sense, a lot folks do it in other shooting games as well. Generally you'll have a small pool of weapons you're good at, weapons you know in and out like the back of your hand. I think mine in Splatoon would generally be a Splating or Splattershot.

You really should be using a large variety of weapons, not just to getting better at playing with them, but also to get better at playing against them. That being said you can probably get away with sticking to and trying to perfect one weapon, but with the variety of modes and stages that come up, being able to adapt and change will definitely give you an advantage. A strict main only really makes sense when you're in a squad and for example assign the e-litre to the player that is best at it.

I mean, I think that you have to be flexible with weapons if you want to play splatoon on a higher level, and you have to adapt your weapon choice that what your team needs

But I have a few weapons I tend to play alot with, those are the carbon roller, splattershot jr, splash o matic and any blaster

That's true, but there's no way to know what your team will be lacking in when you get randomly put on one side. I was using the Classic Squiffer once and got put with two guys with E-liters.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Maining a weapon makes sense, a lot folks do it in other shooting games as well. Generally you'll have a small pool of weapons you're good at, weapons you know in and out like the back of your hand. I think mine in Splatoon would generally be a Splating or Splattershot.

Mine is definitely the Heavy Splatling Deco.

- - - Post Merge - - -

You really should be using a large variety of weapons, not just to getting better at playing with them, but also to get better at playing against them. That being said you can probably get away with sticking to and trying to perfect one weapon, but with the variety of modes and stages that come up, being able to adapt and change will definitely give you an advantage. A strict main only really makes sense when you're in a squad and for example assign the e-litre to the player that is best at it.

All very good points. But like maining one weapon doesn't mean you have to cut off every other weapon. Trust me, I main the Heavy Splatling Deco and it's more of a ranked battle weapon imo. I really don't use it in turf war unless I really want to. Not every stage is friendly to one class, or even weapon, for example sometimes extra range is a helpful asset, and a Squelcher might be a better bet than an Aerospray.

Different weapons are better on different maps so maining a weapon is not really beneficial. Though maining a category makes sense. Maining sniper weapons would be a good example. Snipers are generally helpful on all maps excluding Ancho or Flounder Heights.

Well I use all kinds of weapons, I have been playing splatoon since day 1, and I'm S+, you can have a main weapon, but you need to adapt to other weapons as well, as time goes on you will learn how to use other weapons :)

And it's always good to take the other weapons to turf war if you're feeling rusty, before you ruin yourself in ranked battle.

only weapon you should "main" exclusively is the E Liter tbh, because it's needed on literally every map if the other team also has an eliter (and you need to be consistent with it which is hard), otherwise you should probably have at least 3 weapons you're comfortable with honestly, learning and using different weapons is fun and I use weapons in many different classes. Plus when you get accustomed to different weapons you get accustomed to what they're weak to. I don't like using the term mains because Splatoon weapons are a lot more alike than fighting game characters.

Personally my favorite weapons are Berry Splattershot Pro, Custom Jet Squelcher, Heavy Splatling Deco, Grim Range Blaster, all of the scoped chargers, and others like Octobrush I'm starting to learn. As a player I feel I'm flexible and can use any weapon a team needs from me.

Last edited:
I can appreciate that. I will say, taking a break from the Splatling to use something new is like a breath of fresh air. I've been having fun with the Splat Charger, but the E-liter still needs work. ^^'

i think it makes sense to main weapons in splatoon. even though it would probably be more beneficial to use a variety of weapons as different stages require different strategies (and as a result it might be better to use certain weapons on some stages, and different ones on others), most people have one or a few weapons that they prefer over all of the others. of course, that doesn't mean you can't try out any new ones.

i have a few mains in splatoon that have changed over time. at the moment, they are the fresh squiffer, the aerospray pg and the custom e-liter scope, but i used to main other weapons like the orange n-zap (i can't remember the name of it) and the dual squelcher.

Last edited:
i think it makes sense to main weapons in splatoon. even though it would probably be more beneficial to use a variety of weapons as different stages require different strategies (and as a result it might be better to use certain weapons on some stages, and different ones on others), most people have one or a few weapons that they prefer over all of the others. of course, that doesn't mean you can't try out any new ones.

i have a few mains in splatoon that have changed over time. at the moment, they are the fresh squiffer, the aerospray pg and the custom e-liter scope, but i used to main other weapons like the orange n-zap (i can't remember the name of it) and the dual squelcher.

I agree with that, tbh I main a few different weapons and try out others sometimes. I pretty much main the Heavy Splatling Deco, but I'm trying to take hold of a charger too, which will probably be the Splat Charger/Splatterscope. I'm also working with the 52 Gal.

And the orange one is the N-ZAP 89. c:

It makes sense to main weapons but adaption is key in splatoon. I use elitre 3k scoped, octoshot, luna blaster and aerospray pretty consistently but I still want to try new weapons.

I used to main Custom Blaster but I got tired of my range limit and slow firing rate. I use it every now and then. Maining an E-liter is hard for me, I commend those who're able to do it

I'm most comfortable with a roller weapon. I've always used a roller weapon since the Testfire demo. I'm terrible at aiming guns.

Surprisingly, I think rollers are my worst weapon. They used to be my favorite.

I used to have a single main weapon (.52 Gal Deco), but now I go to a few mains instead. I still stick to the shooter category, mainly, since my play style fits them best, with some sloshers and a heavy splatling in the mix. I want to be better with chargers, but I'd probably have to make an equipment set for those because of the ink consumption and charge time.

I use multiple weapom "mains", because they usually cover ground better. Mine are the Gold Dynamo Roller, the N' Zap '89, and the Soda Slosher.

Last edited:
I now main the Splatterscope along with my Splatling!

Last edited:
Back