• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

is it worth it?

AvengerOfHyrule

Professional Cat Bed
Bells
I have been thinking about getting HHD but is it as fun as NL? I'm not sure I could stay interested in designing homes... plus the cards seem like a hassle...

Tell me your opinions/experiences :D

I rented it from the library a few months ago. I thought it would be boring but I actually enjoyed it. I was laid up after major surgery so I spent a lot of time playing it. Basically you design one home, go home for the day and start over with a new character. I found designing the town to be fun, but you only do a few shops. You can also unlock new things like windows for the houses by using those play coins I believe. I kind of want to buy it but the price is way too high for a game like that.

I like designing houses, and I only played it for 2 weeks...
If your into that kind of thing, get it.
If your'e not, Don't get it.
It's not very good in my opinion.

I rented it from the library a few months ago. I thought it would be boring but I actually enjoyed it. I was laid up after major surgery so I spent a lot of time playing it. Basically you design one home, go home for the day and start over with a new character. I found designing the town to be fun, but you only do a few shops. You can also unlock new things like windows for the houses by using those play coins I believe. I kind of want to buy it but the price is way too high for a game like that.
man that would be crappy for me cause my step counter is broken on my 3DS. no play coins for me...
yeah i can see the appeal of designing but man.. the cost. plus they added in the character cards which would cost even more. but i would like to make pretty homes for the fur babies. i was sort of disappointed with the limited amount of what we can do on new leaf, but still a bit better than the older games lol.

that's cool that you can rent a game like that from the library. mine just has a bunch of out dated DVDs that are scratched to heck and back and some CDs that are from the late 90s and early 2000s when they still had some funding. /sigh

Last edited:
I bought it off ebay for $25 - came sealed in the box with an amiibo card that I can't use (no New 3DS and reader not included). I thought I wouldn't play it much, but I find it competing with ACNL, Pokemon, and my other games. If you really like designing and the challenge it can be (you get furniture pieces/sets in increments with each house and town location you complete [bugs, gyroids, ceiling items, fish, and paintings need to be unlocked with play coins unfortunately]; usually have 2-3 items that's required by the villager to incorporate; it's not always as simple as throw all of this or that series into a room and call it a day), then you may find some enjoyment out of it as well as far as an NL diversion goes. That said... If you don't like designing your house in ACNL, then you probably won't care for designing for various villagers that randomly pop up everyday.

I will agree that the price being asked is ludicrous for what you get (full price when you're nothing more than an interior designer for others, you don't get your own house or a town to customize and build from scratch, so it's not like NL). I would encourage getting the game from ebay or another cheap online alternative that's not full price (Be careful where/who you buy from, though. IDK the likelihood that it's been bootlegged, but Chinese sellers tend to be the highest offenders; check buyer reviews - positive and negative - and try to buy within US/your country's borders). Other than some NPCs that you can't design for by default (the Able sisters, Nook, K.K, Isabelle, Digby, etc.), you don't need the cards and the reader to enjoy the game. You get all 325(?) villagers as you play.

EDIT: If you have no way of getting play coins, then you may just want to sit this game out since the large majority of options [bugs, gyroids, ceiling items, fish, and paintings, 2nd room, more flooring options than the default size, patterns] are only available through their use. Not necessarily game breaking, but definitely limits your options.

Last edited:
I bought it off ebay for $25 - came sealed in the box with an amiibo card that I can't use (no New 3DS and reader not included). I thought I wouldn't play it much, but I find it competing with ACNL, Pokemon, and my other games. If you really like designing and the challenge it can be (you get furniture pieces/sets in increments with each house and town location you complete [bugs, gyroids, ceiling items, fish, and paintings need to be unlocked with play coins unfortunately]; usually have 2-3 items that's required by the villager to incorporate; it's not always as simple as throw all of this or that series into a room and call it a day), then you may find some enjoyment out of it as well as far as an NL diversion goes. That said... If you don't like designing your house in ACNL, then you probably won't care for designing for various villagers that randomly pop up everyday.

I will agree that the price being asked is ludicrous for what you get (full price when you're nothing more than an interior designer for others, you don't get your own house or a town to customize and build from scratch, so it's not like NL). I would encourage getting the game from ebay or another cheap online alternative that's not full price (Be careful where/who you buy from, though. IDK the likelihood that it's been bootlegged, but Chinese sellers tend to be the highest offenders; check buyer reviews - positive and negative - and try to buy within US/your country's borders). Other than some NPCs that you can't design for by default (the Able sisters, Nook, K.K, Isabelle, Digby, etc.), you don't need the cards and the reader to enjoy the game. You get all 325(?) villagers as you play.
So you don't need the amino card to get new villagers? One of the reason I didn't play the new animal crossing game was because of the amino card,I heard there are more than 300 villagers, So it would cost me nearly a new Nintendo 3ds if I want to collect everyone.

A friend let me borrow hers and I played it for 30 minutes and was bored out of my mind. That's not what AC is for me. I felt limited and like something was missing.

My gripe with the game is that it doesn't have any lasting appeal. It was fun for a couple of weeks but now I never play it. I just can't force myself to design yet another house. It would have been a nice feature in a mainline Animal Crossing game but on it's own, it's just not worth it.

I'd say get it for a bit cheaper then retail. It's a game not for everyone to enjoy. Btw, if you step counter is broken on your 3ds I may say pass because the features with play coins add a lot more options to the game.

So you don't need the amino card to get new villagers? One of the reason I didn't play the new animal crossing game was because of the amino card,I heard there are more than 300 villagers, So it would cost me nearly a new Nintendo 3ds if I want to collect everyone.

You only need the amiibo cards for the NPCs that are never depicted as regular town residents (Nook, Able Sisters, Blathers and his sister, Resetti, Kappa, Isabelle, etc.). All of your normal villagers are unlocked with each new house you complete where you see a new set of animals (usually 2-3) a day.

Last edited:
I got it the day it came out and I really really regret buying it as quick as I did. It's not worth the price, even now, imho.

I spent maybe a week designing houses, which is something that I love to do. It just felt like doing the same thing over and over, even when I changed themes or designed the shops. It's super SUPER repetitive (more so than doing the normal "Give [item] to [villager]" things in the mainline Animal Crossing games.)

I dont really love it.
I bought it with a Card reader and
A card pack. Little did I even know
that villagers appear on their own and
Cards are normally used for calling npcs
To spawn in a room you decorated and/or collecting.
So To unlock all the features you need play coins which
Makes me have to sit here for a hour and shake my 3ds because im
Crippled and i cannot walk or run yo get play coins. I hate that.
I love the designing and all, now i wish that that format of designing
Was incorporated into acnl however with all those buildings and designs..
Its really all too pointless when there is no real town or interaction
Just simply designing to kill time, view your builds while visiting the villager,
Unlocking features and then resigning houses over again. Gets boring.

it's worth it as long as you don't pay full price, because it's not really a full game. it's fun and it's got some new features that NL doesn't have (designing villager homes is the obvious one, but also more furniture, villagers interacting with furniture, etc) that give a nice feel for how the next main game might be. I do agree with others though, it's the type of game you binge on for a few days and then you don't touch it for months at a time. if you can find it on ebay or on sale somewhere, id say go for it.

Can't tell you if you will enjoy it, people have different opinions, likes and deslikes...
Judging by your first post you don't actually want it you already think it will make you bored therefore don't buy it.

I played it A LOT the first few weeks it was out and I feel like I made no progress. I love decorating houses but like everyone else said it got repetitive and I found myself not caring about houses I didn't want to do, and would fly through them just to get new villagers to pick from. Maybe I'll revisit it but for now I don't really recommend it to anyone.

ACHHD is a game you'll play for 2 weeks then never touch it ever again

I actually enjoyed this game.

Since I liked the interior design feature of the main series a lot, this game wouldn't bum me out. After trying it, I played the hell out of it. I even uploaded several pictures to my site. It just depends on the person.

If you like interior designing a lot, you should get it. If you don't prioritize the interior design feature in Animal Crossing, don't buy it.

You did say that your 3DS step counter is broken, right? It would be better to skip the game or you won't get as many features in the game (such as house renovations).

Right now, the game is already dead. The Happy Home Network challenges give out repeat items, DLC support has ended, no more new amiibo cards for the series are being made since we got to 400, and the Happy Home Designer forums on some sites (including GameFAQs) are becoming ghost towns. However, it did outlive the other Animal Crossing spin-off, which did even more poorly. I found it disappointing, but people want another real Animal Crossing game and not one that goes deeply into focus on one feature.

Back