• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

has anyone had to repair your 3DS?

I currently have an original 3DS with cartridge reading issues, but after getting a quote from Nintendo Support for the repair, (Around $100) I decided to spend that money toward a New 3DS XL as it would have been a better investment.

I consider myself knowledgeable in repairing my electronics myself as long as the warranty expired on them. I haven't looked into the cost of a replacement cartridge slot for the 3DS yet, but I assume there are under $50!

I am surprised people are managing to break their 3DS... I have 3 3DSs... None of them is broken in any way shape or form.

Not really. My first DS Lite console (from 2007) eventually broke but then it was like.. 4+ years and it was pretty much destroyed all over so I just got a new one back then.

I have an even worse crack that that on literally the exact same 3DS, and it's fine. It just means you shouldn't fiddle with it too much.

Okay, I take that back. It isn't fine. I've just had to buy a new one because the crack got so big the hinge broke. I'd consult Nintendo if I were you. It is your 3DS though, so do what you like. I have no idea what the cause is.

Okay, I take that back. It isn't fine. I've just had to buy a new one because the crack got so big the hinge broke. I'd consult Nintendo if I were you. It is your 3DS though, so do what you like. I have no idea what the cause is.

That's very odd. How often did you use the console? I've stuck with my original 3DS for now because the crack has gotten worse. May have to inquire about it!

I don't remmber that happen to my 3ds but I sent to Nintendo and it came back really good

Last edited:
i've been pretty good about not having my things die in a fire
my friend, on the other hand, got his 3ds run over by a car multiple times

I've never had to repair any of mine yet, my first silver 3DS XL I've had since 2013 is still perfect as is my N3DS Zelda one. I did have one issue with my Yoshi 3DS XL where occasionally while playing it will tell me the game cart was removed or something (it hadn't been) or it wouldn't recognise a cart was in the machine. That hasn't happened for a while though.

No, all three of my 3DSes are still in perfect working order. Sure, there's some slight cosmetic wear and tear, but that tends to come with age. And not confining them to a case.

The only issues I ever had with a Nintendo handheld was the DS Lite. I got the polar white and the onyx models basically at launch, and they had that cracking hinge problem. But Nintendo was awesome and replaced both of them when that happened.

I've had my 3DS repaired twice. It was because everytime it was tapped or put down on a surface (even gently), it would shut down immediately which was frustrating. I lost a lot of saves and pokemon trades because of that... *sigh*
But, the tech service was good. They gave me an extension on my warranty both times, and it was perfectly fixed the final time.

I've had my XL since it's initial release, it's honestly survived so much compared to my phone (of which I scratch and drop on a regular basis!) I'm a really clumsy person, and although my ds is a little scratched due to it being fairly old, and frequently bumped, the only time I have had to send it to the nintendo-repair thingy was when my circle pad kept getting stuck. (which surprisingly wasn't result of my clumsiness?) They fixed it within two days and everything's good now, although I am eyeing up a New 3ds as they're just more aesthetically pleasing, I guess! (Was kinda going through a phase when I chose my Blue x Black one over the pink)

Not 3ds, but ds phat. I lost a battle in pokemon ruby and went ham on my top screen and broke the **** out of it. Dad bought a screen replacement on ebay and fixed it himself. Still have the broken screen in my box of goodies to remind me that I'm an idiot and not to lose it over stupid things that don't really matter.

thanks dad.

I suspect that my battery might be swelling and in need of replacement. I think that's a pretty good track record for my 3DS though, since I've had it since they first came out and have had no previous problems with it. :)

Original aqua 3DS, still holding up fine!

When I bought it, the WiFi light didn't work. It still doesn't work, but the WiFi itself is fine so I'm not too bothered to be honest. Only thing since then is that the circle pad has been getting a bit stuck and making gritty noises, though using it somewhat regularly seems to put an end to it, lol.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I should add that it was second-hand. No idea if the previous owner had anything to do with it but I don't see how you could just break an LED so probably not.

I suspect that my battery might be swelling and in need of replacement. I think that's a pretty good track record for my 3DS though, since I've had it since they first came out and have had no previous problems with it. :)

My old one could be having this problem, but I'm not sure.

Surprisingly,no. I thought it would by now because of how fragile-ish DS lites were (broken screens and broken L/R buttons etc.).

My original blue 3DS did have a couple problems though. The charging port didn't quite work and I had to use the 3DS charging cradle to get it to charge. But that wasn't really a problem. Then with my 3DSXL I haven't had any problems apart from the charging cable being a little loose. But that really is a minor annoyance and not anything I need to send it in to repairs for.

I'm a little protective of my 3ds and put it in a case whenever I take it out somewhere so I'm glad it managed to last. :)

Back