• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

has anyone had to repair your 3DS?

King Dorado

you can do anything
Bells
Rebel Gnome
Fossil Easter Egg
Ladybug Easter Egg
Paradise Planning Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Fossil Easter Egg
Classic Easter Egg
Togepi Easter Egg
Waluigi Easter Egg
Yoshi Easter Egg
I posted this at Nintendo Treehouse board but nobody answered. (let me know if i overlooked another board where these issues get discussed).

anybody had any 3DS repair issues? just wondering if mine are even repairable:

for 2DS, fell on floor on side (not on screen), now when turning it on makes normal sounds but display looks like lightning. there are not any visible cracks on screen, but the display looks as though a layer of lcd is broken or something.

for 3DS, was shutting off sometimes when top screen rotated backwards all the way. now, when turning it on it makes a sounds like lightbulb popping or an overloaded electrical outlet popping and nothing else happens.

Anybody had any of these issues, and managed to have them repaired? if so- where and for how much?

thanks!

I have never repaired my 3DS, but I should since there is a giant black mark across my screen.

i dropped my 3DS it was charged and everything. So my grandpa took it apart couldn't find anything wrong with it. Then I dropped it and it turned back on

I never had to repair it, but something happened to my 3DS where it prevented me from charging it, and I ended up having to get a Universal Charger. It sucks. I have to plan when I play on my 3DS and when I go on Wifi based on my battery life (if it's been charging for hours, I can use Wifi, if I've been playing on my 3DS for hours, I can't go on Wifi.) It also sucks that I can't play and charge at the same time, but at least it helps me not play on my 3DS for hours with no breaks.

I was using my 3DS charging it against the wall and sitting near the outlet. My brother came running through and tripped on the cable, knocking the 3DS from my hands. The place where you put the charger in was bent up and I couldn't charge it without leaning it up against a book or something.

I didn't need a new one or a repair, I just kept using it like that until the New 3DS came out.

Last edited:
I've never had to have my ds repaired. I've had it for over two years, and it's held up just fine. My L and R buttons still work, I don't have any wifi problems, and my screen isn't scratched. The back panel on the bottom half of my ds comes loose on one side sometimes, but clicks back in place without any problems.

Nope and I'm glad
You shouldn't make multiple threads on the same topic btw

i haven't but mine broke in half because my little brother threw it to the cold, hard floor because he was "mad"

yea there was a huge crack near the R button and it would open wider every time i closed the 3ds, but my brother fixed it with Q-bond, it has recently reopened but i dont care because i hav my new 3ds!

I need to find a place that fixes consoles and handhelds cause my original 3ds thumstick broke. And also the shoulder buttons are feeling kinda stiff and loose so its about time I fix my 3ds , but I am having troubles finding places that fixes those type of system.

Last edited:
My original Red x Black 3DS XL has a significant crack right hinge that progressively worsen as I use it more and more, along with a malfunctioning right speaker after being slammed hard enough. I once called a Nintendo rep about these issues despite its expired hardware warranty, and it costed almost as much as purchasing another 3DS XL. I did the latter instead and kept the "broken" one.

My Japanese 3DS LL also suffered from the same hinge-cracking problem, albeit barely visible in naked eyes.

Aside of a couple of the 3DS systems, pretty much every system I owned never had any issue that was significant enough to warrant a replace/repair.

sounds like nobody has dealt with Nintendo for repairs.

i'm gonna check locally first before i price it thru Nintendo.

nintendo usually asks for a bunch of money in order to solve your problem. the right hinge of my 3DS is broken and i looked it up, finding out that anyone who asked nintendo for a fix would cost around the price of a brand new 2DS.

it's not fixed yet, but i have the part i need to do it and my uncle might fix it himself for me. if not, i guess it'll be some work for the weekend :p

I posted this at Nintendo Treehouse board but nobody answered. (let me know if i overlooked another board where these issues get discussed).

anybody had any 3DS repair issues? just wondering if mine are even repairable:

for 2DS, fell on floor on side (not on screen), now when turning it on makes normal sounds but display looks like lightning. there are not any visible cracks on screen, but the display looks as though a layer of lcd is broken or something.

for 3DS, was shutting off sometimes when top screen rotated backwards all the way. now, when turning it on it makes a sounds like lightbulb popping or an overloaded electrical outlet popping and nothing else happens.

Anybody had any of these issues, and managed to have them repaired? if so- where and for how much?

thanks!

Would you mind posting a picture? Just curious to know if there's any external damage to the console.

I've never had to repair any of my consoles, however I have noticed a tiny crack on my 3DS XL. It's so small that you can barely notice it, however I am concerned. People I've spoken to have experienced this same crack before and have informed me that it got worse, so worse that it prevented the console from actually working. I haven't a clue what the cause might be. Am I alone on this?

IMG_1125.jpg

i've never needed to get my 3ds repaired, and honestly i'm surprised that it still works completely fine after three and a half years, because none of my handhelds have lasted more than three years without breaking. though to be fair, i'm a lot older now than when i was back when i had my first two ds lites, so of course i'm more careful with my 3ds now. still, i am surprised at the fact that the only problem with it at the moment is the grey thing on the circle pad being loose, and even then that's easily fixable.

The mouse pad didn't work well when I bought a used copy and I went to Gamestop to see if they could repair it. However, in exchange, they just gave me a brand new one that was refurbished from the warehouse.

Would you mind posting a picture? Just curious to know if there's any external damage to the console.

I've never had to repair any of my consoles, however I have noticed a tiny crack on my 3DS XL. It's so small that you can barely notice it, however I am concerned. People I've spoken to have experienced this same crack before and have informed me that it got worse, so worse that it prevented the console from actually working. I haven't a clue what the cause might be. Am I alone on this?

View attachment 177994

I have an even worse crack that that on literally the exact same 3DS, and it's fine. It just means you shouldn't fiddle with it too much.

Umm, no. I wish someone did. My old 3DS XL has a hinge break. But i'm living with it.

Back