• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How many of you cheat when working at the Roost?

Yes, I do cheat.
There aren't many opportunities in game where you can find even one of a villagers preferred ways to have coffee, and there's no way to find villagers preferences who don't live in the town unless you use a guide.
Having working at the Roost just a be a guessing game can be very frustrating.

Like just about everyone else, I use Thonky's guide.

Sorry about bumping - just found this thread interesting whilst looking for 2017 easter eggs.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Like just about everyone else, I use Thonky's guide.

Sorry about bumping - just found this thread interesting whilst looking for 2017 easter eggs.

I look up the answers. And I wouldn't call it CHEATING... More like, "leveling the playing field"... Yeah.. That.. Lol that is, when I do work. The real question is, "Do you actually even go to the coffee shop on a regular basis?" XD I don't!:cool:

- - - Post Merge - - -

And yes, I do use Thonky's guide. I would be so lost without Thonky! XD

i think the first time i did it by guessing because i had no idea what was going on lol, but afterwards i figured out there was a guide and went by that until i could remember what my villagers would order :p

i think the first time i did it by guessing because i had no idea what was going on lol, but afterwards i figured out there was a guide and went by that until i could remember what my villagers would order :p

Yup, this...and I don't feel guilty!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I look up the answers. And I wouldn't call it CHEATING... More like, "leveling the playing field"... Yeah.. That.. Lol that is, when I do work. The real question is, "Do you actually even go to the coffee shop on a regular basis?" XD I don't!:cool:

- - - Post Merge - - -

And yes, I do use Thonky's guide. I would be so lost without Thonky! XD

And this...thanks for bumping this! Good thread!

Last edited:
Before I got the roost in my first file, I was planning to cheat but I never got it because I was always too poor tbh. But in my other town before my current, I didn't use cheats while working at the roost because I wanted to do everything properly. I felt like if I did cheat, it would've been way easier to do but I always made sure to take notes whenever i'd make my animals would tell me that I had a coffee preference wrong and then use process of elimination to figure it out. In my opinion, it felt more fufilling, and how things would actually work if I worked in a coffee shop setting.

I totally use Thonky for everything! Coffee, art, birthday gifts, April Fools, etc.

A friend made a comment about this the other day, suggesting that looking all this stuff up online is ruining the way we play games these days. I disagreed and reminded her that we've always done this... in the 90's we'd buy gaming magazines for the Mortal Kombat fatality combos, circulate Pokemon walk-through printouts at school, etc.

As games become more intricate and detailed, there's no way to naturally learn everything needed to make the most out of the experience.

Nope. I feel lazy to look up so I just go by based from what I remember. You'll get the coffee items and brewstoid eventually.

I used to do trial and error, but then after my year and a half hiatus from the game and losing my notes from before, I decided to just look at a guide.. I barely even work there now anyway, maybe twice since returning. So I've only used the guide twice :)

Back