• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Theory about Coco

tom.

heya.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Silver Mailbox
Mailbox
I was thinking, you know how in the GCN game if you don't save while in somebody else's town, your face becomes that of a Gyroid? well, I realized, Coco's face looks almost identical to the player's when they reset in another person's town!

Since Coco has been around since the GCN, perhaps she was once an Ordinary Rabbit, who forgot to save in a town she visited, and thus Lost her face for the rest of the games to come? The Villagers obviously know about, and presumably save. And KK Dirge playing if you give her a Music Player adds on to this whole thing!

TL;DR Coco forgot to save while visiting another town in GCN

See, I always thought she was a Gyroid-type. Gyroids are based off of clay figurines that the Japanese buried with their dead. Which is why it's easier to dig them up when it rains; their "spirits" have sort of been awakened. I would think this is why her song is K.K. Dirge, as well. She's essentially a sort of homunculus.

See, I always thought she was a Gyroid-type. Gyroids are based off of clay figurines that the Japanese buried with their dead. Which is why it's easier to dig them up when it rains; their "spirits" have sort of been awakened. I would think this is why her song is K.K. Dirge, as well. She's essentially a sort of homunculus.

That's pretty cool, too! :)

Woah. This is some pretty deep stuff.

I always considered her to be a gyroid, before I started playing any AC games.

Omg you might be right. I thought she was a kokopelli (name Coco like souund at beginning). Kokopelli are from the southwest Hopi culture.

Last edited:
coco is based off the "haniwa" figures from ancient japan, which were buried with the dead, and the gyroids are based off that too, which is the reason you can find them underground

a4a4f94e3fe07bd245d996ec78e3d493.jpg

Last edited:
coco is based off the "haniwa" figures from ancient japan, which were buried with the dead, and the gyroids are based off that too, which is the reason you can find them underground

Makes way more sense! Thanks for this. But what's with her name? Because she's brown colored? Her Japanese name is Yayoi- not sure what that means if anyone knows? Thanks. :)
So fascinating. Never heard of this. Now I like the gyroids more too!

Last edited:
Makes way more sense! Thanks for this. But what's with her name? Because she's brown colored? Her Japanese name is Yayoi- not sure what that means if anyone knows? Thanks. :)
So fascinating. Never heard of this. Now I like the gyroids more too!

her name is most likely because her face looks like the 3 holes on a coconut

it still makes me question things though. if the gyroid a are originally buried with the dead, does coco have to do with death is some way?

it still makes me question things though. if the gyroid a are originally buried with the dead, does coco have to do with death is some way?

Maybe Coco was buried with the previous mayor before Tortimer - if there ever was one, and then unearthed by Tortimer himself wow things went to 0-100 real quick OR maybe Coco is used as foreshadowing? she could be a symbol to foreshadow the death of the player or villagers im just gonna leave this here

Last edited:
In my opinion i think coco is just a coconut themed bunny tho thats a pretty awesome theory

Last edited:
Idk they designed her house like that for a reason. It's less tropical/coconut and more spiritual/ominous with the gyroids, japanese furnishing, and 2 big bonfires.

Hmm...

Pretty good theory. Wonder what she looked like before tho.
Gasp maybe she was super beautiful, and a snooty character was really jealous, and told her not to save in her town, and she turned into a gyroid :(

Not saying she's not beautiful as a gyroid tho.

"Her Japanese name comes from the historical era known as the Yayoi Period. During this time, small figures known as Haniwa were produced, which is what Coco and the gyroids take their appearance from." (nookipedia.com)

so her japanese name comes from the time period the gyroid things were from. interesting...

Back