• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Sexualization in videogames

I usually don't mind it.

It's only when it really 'stands out' within the game itself that it becomes an issue for me. Like 'Dead or Alive' or 'Lollipop Chainsaw' I'm fine with because it doesn't stand out as a 'thing' within the game itself. If Ayane appeared from nowhere wearing nothing but gauntlets and a tiny bikini, you would be more concerned that she's actually wearing gauntlets than that her bikini top doesn't look strong enough to hold those massive jiggly boobs.
If I played an Elder Scrolls game or Zelda though and there was a character walking around with obscene jiggle physics wearing what can only be described as dental floss, yano...There's some obvious pandering going on at that point.

The moment anything to do with a male or female that's illogical, but is made for the sole purpose of showing off a character is crossing the line for me.

For instance, females wearing armor that's revealing, yet it's purpose is to protect you? Illogical. Sadly, I'm unsure on any kind of male over sexualizing at the moment. I haven't seen any of it just yet. But I'm sure it's out there.

Whilst it's not 'sexualized', a majority of male armor in games is just as impractical if for any reason than it would be realistically impossible to actually move in, something a surprising amount of people don't realize. A set of 'Wizard Armor of Ultimate Defense' which is a thong and nipple tassels for female characters somehow becomes 50,000kg of metal with tanks for pauldrons on a male character. Neither are very practical. Even if sheer weight isn't an issue, there's usually so many impractical additions to male armor that range from gauntlet decorations that would prevent movement to pauldrons that would deflect blows in to your face.

As for 'revealing armor', that also exists for males, it's just not viewed as 'sexy' at this point. All the arguments for sexualisation of women exist for men too like impractical/lack of armor to show off their body to the unrealistic and unobtainable physiques. It's just they're not viewed as 'sexy' in the same way. You could have Link sensually laid across a throw rug with only a well placed pot covering his otherwise naked body and nobody would question it at this point. You essentially can't make a sexualized male character, at least by the same standards as women.

Just look at the Soul Calibur roster. Sure, Ivy is the obvious target for anybody looking to complain about impractical armor, but why is it never questioned that so many male combatants have turned up to these battles involving extremely dangerous weapons yet thought a shirt and some shorts would be okay for defending against a 20 foot axe? Does Xiba really think showing off his chest with a nice little vest is a good idea when fighting a woman with a whip sword? Why did Cervantes bother putting on shin guards with his trench coat? Even Siegfried, the only guy with enough brains to put some actual armor on for some reason doesn't care very much about head protection, arguably the part of the body you want to protect the most.
The most well equipped character is Hilde, a girl...The only character who got up that morning and saw fit to wear an actual full set of armor.

What if it's parody? Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw is basically what you described, a ditzy big-breasted blonde with no realistic characteristics. The game is parodying a lot of American pop culture though, with Juliet Starling being a parody on the blonde ditzy cheerleader stereotype found in many TV shows and films.

Sorry I forgot about this thread. I absolutely love this. If the character is supposed to be the embodiment of something else, more so than a character herself from the ground up, then that's fantastic. There's tons of characters that are just "living" metaphors of ideas, and that's rad as hell. Like the character you mentioned, another character that comes to mind that is a symbol of sexual desires is Maria in Silent Hill 2. She's sexualized in the game, but for huge plot reasons.

- - - Post Merge - - -

You essentially can't make a sexualized male character, at least by the same standards as women.
Male Lara Croft disagrees.

Last edited:
In my opinion, although I'm not LethalLulu who you directed the question to, it's a big difference.

By making her a "parody" character, they've already given her more life and personality indirectly than the one's who are actually there to be sexualized as a serious thing. When they made her, they must of thought "We'll make her the cookie-cutter busty blonde for comedic effect.." or any other purpose beyond "BAM!!! BREASTS! SEXUAL BREASTS!!!! LOOK AT 'DEM BREASTS!!!!!!!!!"

Basically as long as it's backed up, in my eyes it's a HUGE difference.
Sorry I forgot about this thread. I absolutely love this. If the character is supposed to be the embodiment of something else, more so than a character herself from the ground up, then that's fantastic. There's tons of characters that are just "living" metaphors of ideas, and that's rad as hell. Like the character you mentioned, another character that comes to mind that is a symbol of sexual desires is Maria in Silent Hill 2. She's sexualized in the game, but for huge plot reasons.
The reason I asked specifically about Juliet is because I've seen her receive the same amount of scrutiny as Bayonetta from people that complain about sexualization. I think they're both strong characters in their own right, though for different reasons.
Juliet as a character alone would be super-unlikeable, but it's because of her being a parody that I can just laugh off the fact that she's a dumb blonde with big boobs.
Bayonetta is a great character because of the amount of confidence she shows. This translates not only into confidence in her abilities and beliefs, but also sexual confidence. Bayonetta radiates this confidence all over, and it's strengthened by suggestive (and a lot of not-so-suggestive) shots of her body parts. But what's wrong with her sexuality? It's part of what makes her such a fun and interesting character.
That's also why I find it hard to agree with a lot of the complaints of sexualization in video games. People look at it as it is on the surface, rather than actually taking a good look at what the character is like and framing the sexualization of the character in that sense. That, and the fact that it's always about the sexualization of women.

You essentially can't make a sexualized male character, at least by the same standards as women.
You'd have to use a specific analog. The things women find sexy about men is different from what men find sexy about women. Using Bayonetta as an example again, there's a good comparison for her - Dante from DMC3. The guy is good-looking, shows off his muscles, has a fair bulge in his pants, shows confidence (both physical and sexual)... The guy is sexualized just as much. Just because people care less about a male character being sexualized doesn't mean that they aren't or can't be sexualized.

I think the issue with this line of thought is actually putting that into practice means effectively locking yourself away from a large portion of gaming, which sounds like an acceptable reason to be annoyed about it.
Does it though? Recently I've seen a few complaints about Overwatch, but why would that stop anyone from playing the game? If you're that hypersensitive that you can't play a game, I don't think that's the developers' problem. If people are bothered by how women (and men btw) are sexualized in Overwatch, go play TF2 and stop whining.
And even outside a simple Overwatch-TF2 comparison this works. Very rarely nowadays is there a game that isn't very similar to what you want to play. If sexualization bothers a person that much, they should just play the alternative instead of whining.
Or grow thicker skin.

If I know beforehand that there's something in a game that I won't like enough that I won't enjoy the game itself, I just don't play the game. It's not worsening my quality of life, because there isn't any reason that I need to play a specific game.

Does it though? Recently I've seen a few complaints about Overwatch, but why would that stop anyone from playing the game? If you're that hypersensitive that you can't play a game, I don't think that's the developers' problem. If people are bothered by how women (and men btw) are sexualized in Overwatch, go play TF2 and stop whining.
And even outside a simple Overwatch-TF2 comparison this works. Very rarely nowadays is there a game that isn't very similar to what you want to play. If sexualization bothers a person that much, they should just play the alternative instead of whining.
Or grow thicker skin.

If I know beforehand that there's something in a game that I won't like enough that I won't enjoy the game itself, I just don't play the game. It's not worsening my quality of life, because there isn't any reason that I need to play a specific game.

You've literally only reinforced my claim. If people are finding offense with even Overwatch, which has for the most part had the potential sexualization of their characters in mind after certain criticisms, then you would be in fact barring yourself from a large portion of the gaming market - like I said.

Keep in mind what I said was putting it into practice would be a bad idea - you seem to be reading it as though I'm encouraging it.

Last edited:
Like - legitimately couldn't care less as long as it's literally not Stare at ****: Game of the Year edition. (As in it has qualities past it (i.e Good story, fun gameplay, etc.))

Last edited:
You've literally only reinforced my claim. If people are finding offense with even Overwatch, which has for the most part had the potential sexualization of their characters in mind after certain criticisms, then you would be in fact barring yourself from a large portion of the gaming market - like I said.

Keep in mind what I said was putting it into practice would be a bad idea - you seem to be reading it as though I'm encouraging it.
I only thought you meant that people have a good right to be annoyed about certain design choices in a game if that's what's keeping them from playing it. That's what I'm disagreeing with, because there's no reason anyone absolutely needs to play a specific game.

If that's not what you meant by your post, then I completely misunderstood.

Last edited:
You'd have to use a specific analog. The things women find sexy about men is different from what men find sexy about women. Using Bayonetta as an example again, there's a good comparison for her - Dante from DMC3. The guy is good-looking, shows off his muscles, has a fair bulge in his pants, shows confidence (both physical and sexual)... The guy is sexualized just as much. Just because people care less about a male character being sexualized doesn't mean that they aren't or can't be sexualized.

That's more what I meant, just not well worded.

Since Overwatch was brought up, Blizzard hasn't really sexualized the characters themselves (aside from perhaps Widowmaker and MAYBE Tracer's butt pose, which I see more as just a fun and playful pose than a "hey look at Tracer's ass, look at it and then buy our game"). The sexualization is 90% done by the fans without any provocation from the game itself.

since its usually female characters that are sexualized i just wanted to say that sometimes they turn out really cute and i dont mind. the only thing that bothers me is when people are gross about those characters.

since its usually female characters that are sexualized i just wanted to say that sometimes they turn out really cute and i dont mind. the only thing that bothers me is when people are gross about those characters.

I also agree with you there. One character that I was surprised that wasn't mentioned is Tifa Lockheart from FFVII. She is a really great character and has a nice back story. She is definitely sexualized though, she goes around fighting monsters in a belly shirt and a mini skirt. I think the outfit they gave her in Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts suits her way better. I think her first outfit could have been more tastefully done and still make her look sexy without just making her look like a slut.

Last edited:
If it's not a sexy game, it doesn't need sexy characters.

Never played Smash, but I think Samus has been sexualised, even if the character is just curvy by design.

main.png

To be fair though, anyone is going to look hot in tight clothing if you're attracted to their gender. Just saying.

Last edited:
I don't mind suggestive outfits for either males or females but I don't want them almost naked. I like a happy medium.

Oh and having specific body parts altered for the sake of sexualization. Ex: bigger boobs or butt or package where it looks rediculous.

Last edited:
Unnecessary sexualization is just par for the course in a medium that's male dominant. I do think that games where characters are unrealistically bare take away from 1. Immersion and 2. Quality. You expect scantily clad females in wrestling? Fair enough. That's hand to hand combat. Take those same women and give them swords or anything that can cut flesh and you expect a character like that to survive long? Nope. Vital organs are exposed. Sexual designs should be consistent with the world and character class.

If it's not a sexy game, it doesn't need sexy characters.

Never played Smash, but I think Samus has been sexualised, even if the character is just curvy by design.

main.png

To be fair though, anyone is going to look hot in tight clothing if you're attracted to their gender. Just saying.

Honestly, the high heels make me more angry than the needlessly tight fitting zero suit. It's basically asking for a twisted ankle! Why?!?

unnecessary sexualization in games is pretty wack. i recently played through the God Eater games, and while they were great, many of the females (Nana, Alisa and Tsubaki in particular) wore extremely sexualized outfits. it made it harder to take the subject matter seriously, especially when they still wear the outfits during battle and serious cutscenes.

when it comes to sexying up characters, it's all about staying appropriate to the setting and plot, and it hurts the game and immersion when developers fail to do so.

I don't really think it's that big of a deal

Last edited:
Everytime a character shows more skin than necessary. Or uncomfortable clothing in a situation that doesn't require fashion.
It sucks especially when a gender is just seen as an accessory, no matter which way it is. Write more compelling characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't mind as long as they're fun to play not just made for or there to, you know.

Back