• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Thoughts on Brexit (Britain leaving the EU)?

Should Britain leave the EU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm honestly glad Cameron is leaving. I can't stand the man and his efforts to convince the British public to remain is literally the only thing he's ever done for my country that I have been able to support and agree with him on.

But I feel like we've just pushed ourselves into something we know nothing about. I feel like the old have decided for the young, and the old have based their votes around specific issues, specifically migration. Which is a legitimate issue here, but it's something that could have been solved without leaving the EU and doing this.

Last edited:
Well, I don't live in the UK but I do live in the EU, so there was, is and will be quite some media coverage here.

From what I've seen until know, it seems like most people that voted to leave had a very low amount of knowledge about the EU, were elderly or lived in a remote/rural area or a combination of those. Honestly, that's not very suprising as that is basically what is the case during any kind of voting that has the subject of governmental influences in any country. It always saddens me that people with a twisted image of reality are able to influence these kind of major choices, regardless of what they vote.

Personally, I think by leaving the EU, they won't solve the problems such as those with immigration and will only gain more problems such as those regarding their economical state. Outside of the UK, there are of course also the needed consequences. Economical but also people who would need to leave the UK to return to the country where they were born regardless of the amount of life they built up in the UK.

I guess only time will tell what the real outcome will be. If the UK ends up leaving the EU, I hope any negative consequences will be a wake-up call for more people who think not working together is the best solution to solving global problems. Our lovely populistic far-right party in the Netherlands, PVV, already is working on their campaign for a Nexit. Luckily, the other parties are aware that the leader and only official member of the PVV, Geert Wilders, is Donald Trump 2.0.

A lot of people in the UK seemed to be heavily emotionally affected by this decision of the nation, so all I can say is stay strong and be true to yourself.

Last edited:
yea I think it's good that they left, the EU was controlling them a lot in terms of laws and regulations, not to mention their economy will eventually crash along with all of the other EU ones so they might as well get it done and over with already so all of the countries can finally stabilize

Last edited:
Honestly, people are being pathetic over this whole thing. We are leaving, we can't change that, get over it. I'm just getting sick of everything about this.

you wouldn't be sick of it if it affected yours, your colleagues and friends entire livelihoods.

- - - Post Merge - - -

yea I think it's good that they left, the EU was controlling them a lot in terms of laws and regulations, not to mention their economy will eventually crash along with all of the other EU ones so they might as well get it done and over with already so all of the countries can finally stabilize

this is just a temporary 'solution' to a long term problem and won't iron things out for us in the end. We've basically given up our rights to free movement within the EU and artists and musicians and others who travel throughout Europe as part of their jobs will now be limited and losing money - once article 50 is triggered.
There will be an immense change in the UK from this point forward and it honestly terrifies me.

I don't think the sky will fall for the U.K. (I know the value of their currency took a big hit, but I think it's just a temporary knee-jerk reaction). It's not like the U.K. is now at war with the rest of Europe. They will just have to follow the same rules in other European countries as people from North America, Asia, Australia, etc. have to follow when they visit France or Spain or some other EU country. Brexit is an opportunity for the U.K. to form stronger relationships with other countries outside Europe now that it's not tied to EU regulations and can negotiate on their own terms. It basically comes down to how the U.K. manages this transition. If it goes full isolationist mode, the country will probably be in trouble, but if it can work out new trade deals and sensible immigration policies, then it will probably be fine. But the luxury of free movement within Europe is gone which is a bummer.

Last edited:
If Scotland decides to leave, I can't honestly blame them. I was all for them staying back in 2014, but with what they're doing, and with Scotland voting to remain, I would support that.

Last edited:
I saw reference today to a poll just taken of respondents in other EU nations (perhaps it was the ten largest); of those, only France and Italy had a majority of respondents who thought their own nations should have referendums on whether to leave the EU. very surprised it was France and Italy that polled this way. even more surprising, was that of those polled in France and Italy, a majority said they would vote against exiting the EU. so i guess a number of people in those countries see a referendum as a way to solidify their nations' commitment to the EU...

Yikes. I literally said yikes when I read the news. I do not live in England, but I have many friends who do. I think there might be an event similar to the Great Depression. All the stocks will go down, etc.

Well, I don't live in the UK but I do live in the EU, so there was, is and will be quite some media coverage here.

From what I've seen until know, it seems like most people that voted to leave had a very low amount of knowledge about the EU, were elderly or lived in a remote/rural area or a combination of those. Honestly, that's not very suprising as that is basically what is the case during any kind of voting that has the subject of governmental influences in any country. It always saddens me that people with a twisted image of reality are able to influence these kind of major choices, regardless of what they vote.

Personally, I think by leaving the EU, they won't solve the problems such as those with immigration and will only gain more problems such as those regarding their economical state. Outside of the UK, there are of course also the needed consequences. Economical but also people who would need to leave the UK to return to the country where they were born regardless of the amount of life they built up in the UK.

I guess only time will tell what the real outcome will be. If the UK ends up leaving the EU, I hope any negative consequences will be a wake-up call for more people who think not working together is the best solution to solving global problems. Our lovely populistic far-right party in the Netherlands, PVV, already is working on their campaign for a Nexit. Luckily, the other parties are aware that the leader and only official member of the PVV, Geert Wilders, is Donald Trump 2.0.

A lot of people in the UK seemed to be heavily emotionally affected by this decision of the nation, so all I can say is stay strong and be true to yourself.

I find that first bit very insulting. My whole family had full knowledge of the EU, thank you very much.

I find that first bit very insulting. My whole family had full knowledge of the EU, thank you very much.

''From what I've seen until know, it seems like most people that voted to leave had a very low amount of knowledge about the EU, were elderly or lived in a remote/rural area or a combination of those.''

I'm in no way insulting your family or saying anything directly towards you and/or your family. There's no reason for you to feel insulted unless you actually associate these aspects with your family.

Last edited:
Don't wanna start anything, but if DHMIS taught me anything, is that the media controls everything. I think Brexit won because of the fact that everyone is just listening to the media, and the media tends to be right wing. The right wing options benefit the rich/people that have a lot. Therefore the media chose to side with the Brexit. Even Nigel admitted to faking some NHS claims.
They just stick labels on things and hope we buy it. I'm not old enough to vote, but my whole family, and I would of to, voted to stay.
EU is corrupt in some places, but we don't leave something when it gets too hard. We go through it and change it, adapt it.

''From what I've seen until know, it seems like most people that voted to leave had a very low amount of knowledge about the EU, were elderly or lived in a remote/rural area or a combination of those.''

I'm in no way insulting your family or saying anything directly towards you and/or your family. There's no reason for you to feel insulted unless you actually associate these aspects with your family.

That's still insulting. It's like saying that the leave campaign was load of rubbish.

That's still insulting. It's like saying that the leave campaign was load of rubbish.

Ehh, It's not insulting as such. It's a personal opinion on a debate thread, that most people are elderly. Which I have seen some evidence of myself. They didn't say "all people that leave the EU know nothing!". We all have our own reasons why we voted. If you decide to get personally hurt by someones opinion, that's your choice. I for one don't understand how somebody saying someone knew little about the EU or lived in a rural area could offend you, but London mostly voted to remain in the EU which proves the rural point in some way.
EDIT:
If you want further proof, just look at this poll. Most people voted "no". This could also prove that they live in a rural area or just read newspapers. But the people online that have another perspective are saying that remaining is the best idea. Once again not trying to say anything bad about your family, there opinion could be for a number of factors.

Last edited:
I'm not super informed but I feel like I've heard that Europe had a lot of LGBT protection policies as a whole that may no longer apply to Britain if they leave and may set back LGBT rights for British people a lot?? I'm not sure if that's true or not but if it is then I think it's a bad idea.

Ehh, It's not insulting as such. It's a personal opinion on a debate thread, that most people are elderly. Which I have seen some evidence of myself. They didn't say "all people that leave the EU know nothing!". We all have our own reasons why we voted. If you decide to get personally hurt by someones opinion, that's your choice. I for one don't understand how somebody saying someone knew little about the EU or lived in a rural area could offend you, but London mostly voted to remain in the EU which proves the rural point in some way.
EDIT:
If you want further proof, just look at this poll. Most people voted "no". This could also prove that they live in a rural area or just read newspapers. But the people online that have another perspective are saying that remaining is the best idea. Once again not trying to say anything bad about your family, there opinion could be for a number of factors.

Oh I know that 60% of people who voted leave are elderly. People are just making it out to be a bad thing.

Oh I know that 60% of people who voted leave are elderly. People are just making it out to be a bad thing.

Oh... I don't see how you could perceive that as being a bad thing, I don't see it as a bad thing myself. Even thought I'm team remain, I respect your families opinion. But I didn't write the original post so I don't get a say.
But whatever, I guess.

Last edited:
I'm not super informed but I feel like I've heard that Europe had a lot of LGBT protection policies as a whole that may no longer apply to Britain if they leave and may set back LGBT rights for British people a lot?? I'm not sure if that's true or not but if it is then I think it's a bad idea.

I don't think so at all, the UK really is at the forefront for lgbt+ issues (along with a few other countries) in the EU (EU =/= Europe). The EU has enforced rights and protections for lgbt+ people, along with adding gender identity into the anti-discrimination act, and protection for same-sex couples. However, the UK is now so forward with lgbt+ issues that I don't, at all, see it going backwards just because these laws were enforced by the EU and not the UK. The UK even played a massive part in these laws coming into place in the EU, we won't backtrack on that now, just because we have the power to.

However, this decision will have an affect on many lgbt+ people, not just those in the UK. There's a guy in an lgbt group I'm a part of and basically he is a French trans guy, currently in the UK for university, he's been here for two years. Not only is he here for university, but he also hopes to gain citizenship as in France you can't change your legal gender or name until you have "fully transitioned" (at least top surgery and hysto) however, in the uk, the laws on name changes are different (nothing needed to change name and gender), so he hoped being here would help further his transition, in a much easier and humane way. Not being from the UK, he is now faced with the fact he cannot transition as a UK citizen and will have to live many, many years, through transition as a legal female. I'm sure there's many other trans people facing this type of issue as well.

I personally don't think that leaving the EU will have a great negative affect British lgbt+ people, but I get where the worry comes from.

Last edited:
Apparently at 10 o'clock on the 23rd the 2nd highest search in the UK was 'what is the EU?'

wtf

Back