• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What is the story behind your town's name?

i named my first town an abbrevation of my real life town which was dumb. my town was going nowhere and my friend convinced me to reset after i made her hold all my items.
now i got a town named eden and i hate it pretty badly. i couldnt come up with a good name so i decided to name it eden because guns n roses has song called garden of eden.... im probably gonna hack if i can. im not even religious and have been an atheist all my life. i seriously dont know which one of the 2 is dumber ._. i should hack it to a cool japanese sounding name :(

People always ask me about my New Leaf town name (New Mii), so I'm happy there's a thread where I can explain myself haha :) The first Animal Crossing game I owned was Wild World, which I started playing at a moderately young age. Thus, Young Me decided at the time that a completely original and brilliant name for my town would be Metown. Eventually I got City Folk and in order to keep the tradition going I called it Miitown, which seemed like a genius idea at the time. I got New Leaf as soon as it came out and for nostalgic reasons I wanted to name it New Miitown in order to pay homage to my previous towns. It turned that this exceeded the maximum number of characters allowed, so I ended up shortening it to New Mii. I do wish that I had come up with a cuter and more original name that doesn't sound like it was invented by a ten year old, but it was so ?\_(ツ)_/?

i named my first town an abbrevation of my real life town which was dumb. my town was going nowhere and my friend convinced me to reset after i made her hold all my items.
now i got a town named eden and i hate it pretty badly. i couldnt come up with a good name so i decided to name it eden because guns n roses has song called garden of eden.... im probably gonna hack if i can. im not even religious and have been an atheist all my life. i seriously dont know which one of the 2 is dumber ._. i should hack it to a cool japanese sounding name :(

You can hack to change the town name on both New Leaf and GCN, but I fear that in some areas it will still show the old town name.

My friend found this game called ACNL at the mall. He just found it lying around the mall so he took it lel. He doesn't have a DS tho so he gave it to me. Lucky me right? So anyway, it was a used game and its name was like umm uh hmmm. Ah its name was Nutleaf. I walked in thinking I was the mayor but not right away and I had to prove myself to be the mayor. Then I found out you were just an ordinary villager. Bleh. So I restarted my game after learning this and was asked what my town should be named as. I thought I should use "nut" in the town name so I named it Star (cuz of my username) and naut (as in nut but also like astronaut) Lel

My town's name is Fortree because I'm a pokemon loving dork

Well Lumiouse is a town from the Gen 6 Pokemon games, which at the time were two games that really brought my spirits up when I was at a low point in my life. It left a special impression on my heart and the name is dear to me.

I'm working on a new town now called "Oranvale" and I chose it because... well, it's supposed to be a giant orange orchard, and "vale" is a town's name suffix that means valley and sounded pretty nice... and it's always a hassle to come up with decent town names that fit within the ridiculously low character limit :p

I like to paint with crayons or aquarel, and I lkke france and french sounding names... so there you go, how Creyal was born!

My current New Leaf town, Palm Bay, is named after a track from Burnout 2, since it's one of my favourite racing games and I was in a Burnout mood when thinking of a name, lol.

I have three towns.

Main town Owl City: After the singer - you guessed it - Owl City.
Cycling town Beforus: It's from Homestuck. It's one of the planets.
Second town Oricorio: My favourite gen 7 Pokemon.

Novis is the name of a planet from one of my stories (back then I was planning on it being a winter town, things changed).

And my second town, Pura is named after the tiger in crash bandicoot.

My first town is called Laverre. It's a town name from the Kalos region in Pokemon, it has a fairy type gym, is surrounded my a forest, looks very nostalgic and most importantly has a very big tree in it! It all added up so quickly haha

As for my second town, Blueveil, no clue. The whole town is blue themed so I guess there is that, quite straightforward

Last edited:
mowville was literally only because i wanted a town with all cats lol i hate myself

My town is named new bark, I really enjoy the gen 3 Pokemon games, so I named my town after new bark.

mine is actually a misheard lyric..
i was listening to Summersong by the Decemberists and mistook the line "lips parted like a flag'll unfurl" for "lips parted like a bag of linfurls". i assumed that linfurls were some sort of candy and never questioned it. a couple of years later my mom pointed out my mistake, laughing at me and saying it was really cute anyway.. so mine is the town of Linfurl ^^

Last edited:
Back