• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What is the story behind your town's name?

[sub]i was into a certain anime when i got the game, so my town's name is "eoten," which means "titan." i really wish i could change it to either mariwell, or myosotis (the genus of my favourite flower, the forget-me-not)[/sub]

Lunavila is a slightly shortened version of Lunavilla, which is the name of my Tomodachi Life island. It just sounded pretty tbh.

I named my town Oceanica because I live in Hawaii and I love the ocean <3

Greens is just another way of saying greenery, which is what my town will be filled with when I finish working on it. My second town, Memento, is a graveyard themed town with a dreary feel to it. I came up with 9 different names for it, but Memento seemed to fit with the theme the best.

I wanted to name my town after a kind of tea, but I couldn't decide between Chai and Matcha, so I asked my mother to pick for me.

My town name is Koremiri

I named it after one of the villages in my old storybook... In the village... Many were trained killers and soldiers to defend themselves from neighboring villages...

My first two GCN towns were called Maple and Midtown simply because I couldn't think of anything else at the time I named them. My New Leaf town is called Animalia and is a reference the kingdom of most animals. Ever since New Leaf, my towns will be named after animal biography so the next town will be called Mammalia, which is the class of most animals. Here's an example of an animal's biography (in this case it is cats):

Domain = Eukarya
Kingdom = Animalia
Phylum = Chordata
Class = Mammalia
Order = Carnivora
Family = Felidae
Genus = Felis
Species = F. catus
Conservation status = Domesticated

Maybe when I get a new copy of City Folk/Let's Go to the City, I will name the town Eukarya, as it comes before Animalia. Of course it would then make more sense to call the next town Chordata, but Mammalia sounds much better in my opinion and would be a nod to New Leaf's Animalia as it sounds similar.

Last edited:
I originally wanted my town to be a bit of a Pokemon themed (basically I just wanted a Bulbasaur flag) so I decided I needed a town name to match that. The first person I thought of was Ash from the anime, who I honestly now hate and I really wish they would switch up the main protagonist like they do with practically everyone else every season to get better character development but that's a rant for another time. I then needed a suffix to make it a "town" name and thought of "ville" so I just combined the two naming my town "Ashville," and tbh I still like the name and wouldn't really wanna change it.

Last edited:
I came up with my town name when I was pretty little. I wanted to name my town "Treehouse" for some reason. I'm guessing it's because I liked trees and my town in real life had lots of trees and forests around it. I thought Treehouse wasn't an appropriate name for a town, so I swapped the "house" for "hut", probably to make it more rustic. So Treehut it was! I've kept with the same name over the years for nostalgia's sake, I guess.

I thought Treehouse wasn't an appropriate name for a town, so I swapped the "house" for "hut", probably to make it more rustic. So Treehut it was!

That's kinda funny, considering that Treehut is an implied location in Wild World and City Folk (all of the default designs that initially are at the Able Sisters from the start are from people that reside in Treehut and villagers, when talking about clothes, will usually mention Treehut and its residents).

I honestly hate my town name and wish I could change it... I called it 26 Land because I was bored and uninspired... and my ACWW town was Metown because of a book I was writing at the time... I was still in elementary school back then omg

My town's name is Idris!

If anyone has read The Mortal Instrument books, yes, that's were I got it from :) I loved all of the books (i obsess over them, actually), so i wanted to name my town that. I almost regret not naming my mayor Clary ):

Mainly cause many people name there town "Kawaii" so I upped my game my town is "KawaiiYa" . lol

(I literally forgot the name of my town for a second there and had to stop and think about it smh)

I've restarted my town a million times. This one's name is ?lourish (yesss with the fancy little ? character, I thought it was cute and suited the word itself). I used to agonize over town names but this is the first one where it just kinda popped into my head and I rolled with it. Happy that I did.

Mines Brights since I was only half awake when I named it. :/

i'm legit trash and i wish i could change my town's name. :^)

Mine is R. O. P. My brother when he saw it back when I made it asked, "Why is your town name RIP with an O?" and then when he saw it for the first time in like two years he was really quiet and goes, "So... Rest Out Of Peace?".

It's Republic of Padokia. That a place in my favorite anime, called Hunter X Hunter. It is also where the home of where my favorite character, Killua, is. I wasn't really sure what to call it and back then, EVERYTHING had to be HxH related. Therefore, instead of Whale Island, I made it R. O. P. for Killua's sake. I don't quite regret it.

And then my mayor's name is Chantily as a reference to a fanfiction I wrote for HxH a while ago because I guessed my town fruit would be apples (and it was) and her story's name was Bitter Apples.

Yeah sorry long explanation bye.

Mine is called pupspace, referring to the state my head goes into when I regress!

Back