• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Who has actually read the Bible?

Have you read the Bible?/ You're opinion on its teachings.

• Total voters
There is actually good evidence from ancient manuscripts that 1 Corinthians 14:34 were not written by Paul, but added later by scholars who shouldn't have been meddling with the manuscripts. This is known as an interpolation.

There is actually good evidence from ancient manuscripts that 1 Corinthians 14:34 were not written by Paul, but added later by scholars who shouldn't have been meddling with the manuscripts. This is known as an interpolation.

yea !! as i was reading the passage and i saw that in the footnote and was including it in my thing and looking up more info about it.

Since this thread has proven to be capable of some intelligent discussion, I'm going to reopen it here. Please make sure you remember what's in the first post:

Please do not bash religions and keep it calm.

If any further rules are violated in future posts, expect an easy warning/infraction as well as this thread being closed for good. I also highly suggest that if you're about to reply to somebody else's post, stop for a moment to read over what you've written. Only post it if it engages in positive discussion. Otherwise, please stick to posting about your own experiences and do not resurface arguments from previous pages.

Thanks

yea !! as i was reading the passage and i saw that in the footnote and was including it in my thing and looking up more info about it.

It's pretty tricky because the Bible was in fact written by humans and it is humans reaction to God or things that happened. If an Old Testament has verses recounting the same event but with a few years apart it is obviously just human error. Translating from such old languages over time to different and different languages is obviously going to leave some error. Retaining original meaning is hard even from translating something from French to English.

This is a stupid question but for Greek Mythology, is there a bible or an equivalent piece of writing?

This is a stupid question but for Greek Mythology, is there a bible or an equivalent piece of writing?

I mean... Not really. They have their gods and various pieces of writing. Greek Mythology was never really organized very well.

I've never read any for pure enjoyment/studying purposes. The only verses I've ever heard are the ones they preach on in church & the only reason I go to church is because my parents go. I don't agree with the teachings of the Bible & I'd much rather be elsewhere on Sundays.

I really don't want to start an argument, but I do have a quick question for the Christians here since I don't get the chance to talk to Christians very often. What are your feelings on 1Corinthians 14:34 and 1Corinthians 1:3-6? In particular I'm interested in the female Christians' opinions but certainly I'd love to hear from anyone.

As one of you guys mentioned Christians tend not to follow any of the laws or rules in the Old Testament since they believe that Jesus's death removed that obligation (although he said he came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it? maybe someone could clear up that statement if it's not meant to apply to Old Testament law?). So anyways I'm curious why there are so few Christians (women in particular) who follow these New Testament laws. Just looking for friendly clarification on what most Christians believe. Thanks!

For the first verse, I personally believe it was an interpolation and actually never written by Paul himself: it may have been added by someone who was tampering with the manuscripts. this site attempts to translate the context and meaning if it actually was written by Paul, however: http://fuller.edu/about/women-in-ministry/women-in-ministry--1-corinthians-14-34–35/

as for the second verse (putting it here):

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 6 If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.

Okay, so breaking this down it basically says that we as Christians are meant to go through hardship. As a Christian, I'm often thought of as inferior, and a lot of people I know don't respect me at all. Christians get so much backlash, and that's here in a country like the US where we supposedly don't have religious persecution. Over in many third world countries, people are dying for our faith. But, the verse also reminds us that God will reward us in the end, and that God is always with us and that we can rely on him.

Last edited:
For the first verse, I personally believe it was an interpolation and actually never written by Paul himself: it may have been added by someone who was tampering with the manuscripts. this site attempts to translate the context and meaning if it actually was written by Paul, however: http://fuller.edu/about/women-in-ministry/women-in-ministry--1-corinthians-14-34–35/

as for the second verse (putting it here):

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 6 If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.

Okay, so breaking this down it basically says that we as Christians are meant to go through hardship. As a Christian, I'm often thought of as inferior, and a lot of people I know don't respect me at all. Christians get so much backlash, and that's here in a country like the US where we supposedly don't have religious persecution. Over in many third world countries, people are dying for our faith. But, the verse also reminds us that God will reward us in the end, and that God is always with us and that we can rely on him.

Shoot! That was a typo I meant 1Corinthians 11:3-6. But thanks so much to everyone who replied! I know there are movements to follow these verses in some churches and I was interested to hear your opinions on it.

As a Christian, I'm often thought of as inferior, and a lot of people I know don't respect me at all. Christians get so much backlash, and that's here in a country like the US where we supposedly don't have religious persecution.
Christians are definitely NOT treated as inferior in the U.S, though.

when i was younger i almost finished a kid version of the bible. it was huge and a lot of it didn't make sense but o well

lmao which reminds i used to attend a kid's bible study / program where you'd have to memorize verses from the bible for like fake money then use that fake money to buy cool things and like every wednesday i'd come in with like 15+ verses memorized, i was gettin dat $$$$

as a kid i was forced to go to church so yea ive read it but now im not religious or anything

I'm surprised this hasn't turned into an all out flame war already

- - - Post Merge - - -

when i was younger i almost finished a kid version of the bible. it was huge and a lot of it didn't make sense but o well

lmao which reminds i used to attend a kid's bible study / program where you'd have to memorize verses from the bible for like fake money then use that fake money to buy cool things and like every wednesday i'd come in with like 15+ verses memorized, i was gettin dat $$$$

I used to be in something similar to that when I was a little kid.

im a christian but i dont read the bible at all. couldnt be bothered. maybe sometime in the future when i decided i wanna be more committed to my religion.

I read the Bible cover to cover when I was young but I'm agnostic. I've actually explored many different religions because that's something me and my grandmother used to do together. She was quite a free spirit and loved religion, all kinds, and would always invite me to study the different ones she was researching that month/year lol

Don't U.S. schools have religion periods? Here religion was a regular period, in elementary school we always read an excerpt and discussed it. After elementary school it became a period where we'd learn about other world religions and moral in general, how to respect different beliefs and how different yet identical they are for us, while also learning how to write an essay about theorizing bible excerpts.

- - - Post Merge - - -

In the end religion turned more into a writing essay/theories class based on the bible and other religious excerpts.

Well i am mostly a scientologist (A religion where you believe in god although you do believe in events such at the Big Bang and Theory Of Evolution)/atheist person, but i have indeed read the Bible.

To be honest, some parts can be somewhat hypocritical in my opinion (Not trying to go on a tirade). Most notably in one part it says to not respect Crooks, Gays, Bisexuals, Thiefs, etc. but then later says to respect everyone in your life.

Last edited:
I went to a Christian boarding school, but I don't remember if I've read it all before, and I'm agnostic.

Last edited:
Back