• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Should I follow my heart or my head?

Heart vs Head

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

otomatoe

need to snack 24/7
Bells
Leif
Spring Shamrock
Sorry but long post ahead :/

Today is my friend's birthday and I'm about to give him his present, right.

He's quite a gamer, the type of any-games are cool kinda guy and I thought I give him a game for his present since at one point he said he wanted a new game for his birthday.

Then I got 2 items with me, said game A and B (I bought 2 different game since next weekend is my sister's birthday and coincidentally she wants either game A and B, and whatever my friend choose today, the rest will be for my sister)

I told him to choose between game A and B and guess what he said.......

"no I don't want those. just give me the cash. or you can buy me poke sun/moon later on when it's released. dang.. you offer me a present I don't even like on my birthday haha"

I don't know, I'm upset for sure. I mean, isn't it awful just to spit out your thought directly after someone offer you a gift? I mean can't you just not accept it and if you don't like it then okay you can keep it or throw it later on, whatever it's not my business anymore (even my AC pixels kept the gift if they don't like it anyway).. gah! Anyway he's 24 this year and I don't think that kind of act/thought is suitable for his age lmao.

He reject my offer ok but later on I think he feels *a little* bad for it bcs only then he brought up conversation like: "but hey, I thought game A is interesting haha"

and there comes the crossing path:

head - screw him. sis got double present yay!
heart- it's his bday. shower him with love woo~​

Now pleaseee tbt help me! hit me with some ideas :) I can't think clearly right now bcs I known him for the past 5 years and he's 60% jerk, 30% meh, and 10% ok. But since we went to uni together, there is a thing called the alumni bound that keep us in tight contact, which is sucks :)

Last edited:
What a douchebag. Seriously. Who says that to someone who buys them a gift, let alone a video game! They can get up to $80 in value!

I would give those two games to your sister. If you are kinda stuck with him, just buy him something cheap like candy. As far as I am concerned, he doesnt sound like he is gracious for your money or time. If it were me, I would get him nothing and if he complains, I would tell him he had his choice earlier but acted really rude so he gets nothing.

he's a douche lmao why are you his friend. just bc it's his bday doesnt mean he gets to be a total butt to you

Your sister should get a double present :3 Birthday or not, he acted really unappreciative after you had already spent the money on him. I think a hard lesson learned will be good for him, and make him appreciate the gifts he gets more.

I accidentally voted heart when I actually meant to vote head. But your friend was just flat-out rude, for no reason. He asked for an unspecific gift, and you did the best you could have. He could have appreciated the fact that you went out of your way to get a gift for him, but he just acted like a spoiled brat and said "You got me bad gifts, I want something else." Also, friends come and go, but you will always know and love your sister. Give her the two gifts and if you really wanted to get the friend a gift, just get him like a 10-20$ Amazon gift card or something, but don't go all out. You shouldn't praise bad behavior. Also, maybe tell him that what he did hurt your feelings, cuz that just sounded harsh.

TL;DR: Give your sister the two gifts, but if you really wanted to, just get him like a 15 dollar gift card, but nothing fancy, since he doesn't deserve it.

Last edited:
that is just horrible. and at 24 years old, he should know better than be rude like that to someone giving him a gift. even if he was just trying to play around with you, I know how hurt I'd feel if someone did that to me.

I'd say give your sister both games, lol. if he can't be grateful, he doesn't deserve anything. but that's just my opinion.

follow ur head. buying him a game was lovely and thoughtful and if he doesn't see that, then that's his loss and he shouldn't get anything at all. since your sister wants one of them, give her both, because you know she won't be a dirtbag about it.

edit: don't give him the cash, and don't buy him sun/moon. when it is released, by a copy for urself and your sister and tell him how much fun it is.

Last edited:
So he's 24 years old yet he's acting like it's his 6th birthday. That's so harsh and rude to you, videogames are NOT cheap, and you were very thoughtful and kind to get two gifts and allow him to pick between them. Honestly if any of my friends got me a videogame for my birthday I would probably be really happy but also really frustrated that they spent so much money on me!

Really, doesn't matter whether it's his birthday or not, you shouldn't accept that sort of treatment. Give the presents to your sister who will probably appreciate them a lot more than he will. And don't bother giving him any presents if he's going to be so unappreciative. :\ He should be grateful for what he gets.

I don't really have a problem with him telling you what he really thinks about your present, as long as he appreciated the thought. You said you think he felt bad about it. Some people don't know how to filter their thoughts and I appreciate brutal honesty. But if you think he's mostly a jerk, I have no idea why you're friends with him. Just because you went to school with him that doesn't really mean anything. Or maybe that's just me.

You do sound really nice though and he does sound like a jerk. Definitely give both games to your sister and don't get him anything. I think it's pretty rude to outright ask for another gift.

Last edited:
Give your sis those if she's a cool lady, I mean unless she acts like a butt as well she should have them. Your friend is just rude especially when he said that AFTER you went out and get those things.

i'd just keep the games to myself and sell them on ebay. but hey, if your sister isn't a brat then go ahead and give her both games woo hoo!

That dude is toxic, bro. You spent money on a very thoughtful gesture, and he basically just ignores it and demands something else. That is super rude! And then he has the audacity to ask for one of the gifts? Nope. That just screams immaturity to me and I couldn't believe it when I found out he was 24. I think you should send him a text saying that you have already given the gifts to your sister as you thought he didn't want one. If he complains or throws a tantrum, I would honestly just tell him that he had a choice and he wasted it.
You sound like a lovely person and nobody deserves to be treated rudely. Even if he didn't like the gift, he could have always pretended and then maybe switched it out for something better or throw it away in private, he didn't have to be so dismissive about it. Sorry about the long answer.

If a friend said that to me I wouldn't give them anything at all. Don't reward ungrateful behaviour. Saying they don't like the game is one thing (hurtful but honest) but asking for cash or another game instead is a bit much.

he's 60% jerk, 30% meh, and 10% ok.

Personally, I wouldn't have even considered buying him a gift in the first place if I felt that way about him, I would have cut him out my life a while back - but that might just be me not wasting my time on people.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't give him anything, but that might be kind of awkward now that you mentioned it to him...

Last edited:
Personally, I would go with my head. Even if he didn't like the gift he should accept it graciously because you went out and bought it with your hard-earned money and took your own time to pick it out for him. At the age of 24 he should already know how to accept a gift in a nice manner and not be such a jerk about it. I would give the two games to your sister. If your heart is telling you to give him something then get him something cheap because he shouldn't be awarded for being a jerk and I honestly wouldn't get him anything for acting like that.

Your friend needs to learn from this kid:

your situation doesnt sound like head v heart, as you havent mentioned any emotional involvement on your part with this friend. you're not dating, are you? sounds more like your question is: should i forgive this guy's rudeness, or not?

btw, are you seeing him in person today, or were these gifts you were going to have shipped to him? :confused:

It is a bit obvious isnt it??? Head. Seriously you just CANT reject a present. That's for douches.

Back