How has your view of the LGBT community changed over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Society + parents raised me to be a bigot and i didn't grow out of it until i realized i was gay myself when I was 14 and then I realized it's actually completely stupid to discriminate because of one little difference that does no harm to other human beings.

(So new parents please for the love of humanity stop putting racism/homophobia/etc. into your children because that is exactly what's happening. Children learn a lot from their parents.)

As for people that flaunt their sexuality I think there's a reason behind it other than wanting to be special but I haven't thought about it too much.

Last edited:
im not saying it is weird that it is the norm lmao. but being lgbtq+ shouldnt be seen as abnormal. everyone should just understand that they cant know someone elses sexuality and gender identity w/o them telling them

but if its not the norm, then it's not normal, lol

The other thing is that ppl see not being norm like a bad thing??

and anyway, how is people going to know tho if you don't say them? I mean families often ask if you got a gf/bf so they can confirm if you're straight or not

As for people that flaunt their sexuality I think there's a reason behind it other than wanting to be special but I haven't thought about it too much.

Someone probably addressed this already but I'm sure there's a huge underlying desire for validation and acceptance below flaunting it, so as annoying as it might be I can't really be mad at people like that and hate them for it you know

So I just avoid them usually

- - - Post Merge - - -

and anyway, how is people going to know tho if you don't say them? I mean families often ask if you got a gf/bf so they can confirm if you're straight or not

"The norm" in this context is not synonymous with "the majority"

Also families ask about relationships because they're curious and nosy, it's not some straight test lmao

ok so basically the whole thing w normal is a ****ing mess and idec abotu it but it shouldnt be seen as weird to be lgbtq+. that's it.

and a lot of ppl do think that not being normal is bad. not fitting it can hurt a lot and ppl who dont fit in are often bullied.

well they aren't going to knwo?? that's the point?? that's exactly what i wrote?? your sexuality and gender will be UNKNOWN until you tell them. they won't assume you're cishet just because you havent come out as gay or trans or anything else.

and when relatives ask that they arent rly asking if youre straight ................, theyre assuming youre straight and they want 2 know if you are in a relationship. if u say "u h no i dont have a gf" your aunt will b like ":) u will get one in the future, dw" not ask if u have a bf... at least in my experience lmaooo

Someone probably addressed this already but I'm sure there's a huge underlying desire for validation and acceptance below flaunting it, so as annoying as it might be I can't really be mad at people like that and hate them for it you know

So I just avoid them usually

- - - Post Merge - - -

"The norm" in this context is not synonymous with "the majority"

Also families ask about relationships because they're curious and nosy, it's not some straight test lmao

I didnt mean it as a test lol

but nvm I just can't explain myself

I grew up in a really conservative, religious area. As such, the LGBTQ* community was never really mentioned, neither was sex at all for that matter. As a teenager, sex became slightly more acceptable to mention, but it was always meant in a heterosexual relationship, (because that's what God intended, according to the Bible). Through my use of the internet from 2009 onwards I grew more accepting of LGBTQ*, starting with knowing people on deviantART that came out as gay, trans, etc. Now, I would say I am very accepting of the LGBTQ* community, and perhaps am questioning sexuality myself, but I know that it would be very difficult to come out to my family and the community, being from such a conservative community. (As an example, churches and school groups were lobbying against an anti-bullying bill, because it allowed students to create LGBTQ* groups in schools) I am determined to leave this area within the next year or two, and leave behind my high school 'friends' that I've been growing away from. There is slight progress being made (the first Pride parade is supposed to happen this year, but I know there will be major resistance), but I can't see significant change happening here for 50+ years.

hey anyways
im glad a lot of people are accepting of lgbtq+ despite having grown up in homophobic and transphobic families. u r great keep doing what u do

It hasn't changed at all. I wanted to be transgender at a young age. I'm a girl and I never felt like a girl. I've forced myself to be feminine because I'm naturally "cute" but sometimes it feels like I'm failing myself... I'm happiest dressing like a boy and acting like a boy. I was pansexual, asexual, and gender fluid. Now I'm just a wifey with a kid. I don't really know what to consider myself anymore. But I don't have an issue with LGBT, obviously.

When I was a kid, which lets be honest wasnt that long ago, being gay wasnt something I was exposed to. I didn't really understand what it was, because I really didnt understand romance and love in general. Other kids used to make fun of people for acting gay, so for a long time, being gay was just another insult. It wasnt till I met my older sisters best friend, a lesbian, did I begin to understand. It was still an insult to me to be called gay, but I didnt see it as an insult in general. A few years later, I realized the reason I never understood romance and crushes was because Im actually a lesbian. The lgbt community as a whole is pretty good; but the younger group (tumblr sjw age group) really just makes everything difficult. All in all im really accepting of everybody. Gay? Straight? Pan? Whatever gets you through the day.

My opinion is sorta similar to my views on feminism. I try my best to partake but I tend to just sit in the sidelines. Kinda like how you watch a show and put a fence up between you and the fandom. I got involve with the community when I was questioning my sexuality base off me liking a childhood friend, my lovely aunt who came out as trans and is currently still transitioning, a few of my cousins coming out gay, and also my twin who's gay. I came across this as normal as my family preserve it as normal. I was more concerned about them than others and I later pick up on the community to help not only help them feel comfortable but also for myself as well.

Personally my experiences came with my relatives. How they describe their experiences is how I came to a better understanding of sexuality/gender. But as the years went by, I ended up learning news terms I couldn't grasp(still can't). It's kinda like that one old Pokemon player who stopped at gen 1 and have no idea wtf is going on past gen 2-current but sure as hell know who pikachu is. I do enjoy learning the perspectives of others so I can form my own in a more efficient matter but even I know when something is coming off as bullsht.

I have no problems with gay, bi, lesbian or transgender people, that is all fine with me. Maybe because i am gay myself but whatever. I am really uncomfortable talking about it irl though because for some reason i still haven't accepted the fact that i'm gay. It is weird...

Last edited:
Hey guys, please refrain from making comments like "this thread will be closed" or "people are fighting". I'm actually impressed that this thread contains a reasonable discussion rather than just constantly cussing out one another and it's comments like that which cause the thread to be derailed and will lead to it's closure. And, I'll just add in here, that if I see anyone doing this on purpose I won't hesitate to infract you for rude behaviour. Keep it calm and if you get angry take a step back from the computer for a few minutes before you try composing a reply. Any issues, hit the report button.

As you were. :)

When I was much younger, my parents weren't very accepting of it. As such, my views were this way when I was a kid. However, when I was in my weeb phase, I got into things like yaoi and yuri??? And yeah, that's not the best way to start but it made me more open to homosexual relationships in general. However, my parents disapproved of it at the time when they found me reading manga with those things. Then, my cousin came out as gay. (he's only three years older than me)

Being that my cousin was like a brother to me, and my parents thought of him as their son, they changed their views and became more open. However, they still have trouble understanding stuff sometimes. With time, I realized that I was a person of pansexual nature They don't understand it at all no matter how much I explain it to them.

"Do you like guys or girls? You keep changing your mind!"
This comment comes about because I'll say oh he/she is hot! Then I'll say the same thing about the opposite gender. I use a more black and white answer because when I try to explain different genders to my parents, they just tell me to straight up stop making things more complicated.

As you all can figure out now, I love and support the LGBT+ community. I accept everyone :)

Last edited:
This is a great question.

I was against it as a kid even though I grew up in a very liberal and accepting family. Somehow even without hearing it from home I thought that being gay or trans was wrong. Then I ended up identifying as LGBT for quite a few years, so my opinions obviously changed to being passionately pro gay rights. Now, while I am still very much for equality, I've distanced myself a lot from the LGBT rights movement because I feel that they don't represent regular gay and trans people well. Sadly the "LGBT community" is often pretty discriminatory within itself.

I used to feel like a part of the LGBT community, or well, I used to think it was cool and awesome and great. Until I started actually going to events and stuff. Now I really, really don't like the community. Sure, people seperately can be okay, but the bunches of people i've seen were flamboyant gay people screaming and being annoying, or lesbian girls basically having intercourse in public. Nowadays, it's mostly a bunch of people, and a lot of feminists, who will get 'triggered' by anything. Check out some groups or forums, or go to an event, and try to talk. It's like walking over thin glass, one tiny little thing and half of them will be 'triggered' lol. I think a lot of the stereotypes about LGB people are true, from what i've witnessed, and I don't consider myself a part of the community. Before anyone rages: Yes I do accept people being gay and all, as i'm sort-of bisexual myself, but I seem to always meet some of the worst clich? LGBT stereotypes, sadly.

Oh, an edit, I've also found out the LGBT community is a bunch of *****es when it comes to anything that is not what they identify as. A lot of gay people discriminate against trans guys, more so then lesbians against trans girls, sadly. Or with bisexuality being 'erased' as they say. I just don't know what to think of it all.

Last edited:
Honestly, I am indifferent to the whole thing. People are people. We all live, we all die. The End.

I used to feel like a part of the LGBT community, or well, I used to think it was cool and awesome and great. Until I started actually going to events and stuff. Now I really, really don't like the community. Sure, people seperately can be okay, but the bunches of people i've seen were flamboyant gay people screaming and being annoying, or lesbian girls basically having intercourse in public. Nowadays, it's mostly a bunch of people, and a lot of feminists, who will get 'triggered' by anything. Check out some groups or forums, or go to an event, and try to talk. It's like walking over thin glass, one tiny little thing and half of them will be 'triggered' lol. I think a lot of the stereotypes about LGB people are true, from what i've witnessed, and I don't consider myself a part of the community. Before anyone rages: Yes I do accept people being gay and all, as i'm sort-of bisexual myself, but I seem to always meet some of the worst clich? LGBT stereotypes, sadly.

Oh, an edit, I've also found out the LGBT community is a bunch of *****es when it comes to anything that is not what they identify as. A lot of gay people discriminate against trans guys, more so then lesbians against trans girls, sadly. Or with bisexuality being 'erased' as they say. I just don't know what to think of it all.

Wait I'm confused, how are you sort of bisexual. I don't mean this in like, a patronizing way, I'm legitimately curious.

Usually when people say they're bisexual, it means they like another gender somewhere between equally and almost not at all, and anything in that range would qualify, so why do you identify as sort of? Are you questioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back