• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How has your view of the LGBT community changed over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerolin

ああああああああああああ
Apple 🍎
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Red Tulip
White Tulip
I'm going to start off by saying I have no intention whatsoever of creating a flame war thread, so please just share your story and comment nicely on each other's posts if you wish.

So, how has your view changed? For me, greatly. Growing up with my dad, he's always told me gay is bad, gay is gross, etc, so I grew accustomed to those opinions and was against everything LGBT. He has told me several times, however, he is much more tolerable of lesbians over gays, as "girls are pretty, so I could understand them. But gay guys? Whaat?". For many years, up until I was 8, I had been that way. Then, I had my own source of internet browsing. Discovered some stuff, LGBT stuff, and my opinion slowly began to change. I eventually became bi, as I am now. With my dad, I still act the same way toward the LGBT community as I did when I was younger. Now, I'm just neutral. I don't support it, I'm not against it, just in the middle.

I used to hate gays/lesbians, but I started to form my own opinion on it and I am mostly neutral on it, but I do not like when people in the LGBT community feel they need to make a show of themselves when they show affection in public...

I used to think people were faking it to be different and special. Looooool what an idiot I was wow.

I grew up in northern England so I had a pretty typical view on homosexuality for a northerner. They made me feel uncomfortable and I thought that it was really odd.

Then I moved to a city in England which is known as the "gay capital" of the country, and thus my views on it changed as I grew up here. I don't see anything wrong with homosexuality at all.

I am indifferent towards the LGBT community. I don't love them or hate them. I do however dislike it when radical members of the LGBT community complain about random minor issues about being LGBT or how they have to express themselves so openly. The world isn't just made up of the LGBT community and every one regardless of their sexual orientation has problems.

I used to hate gays/lesbians, but I started to form my own opinion on it and I am mostly neutral on it, but I do not like when people in the LGBT community feel they need to make a show of themselves when they show affection in public...

How so? Do you care to explain?

I think any sort of affection that's too intimate in public makes me feel uncomfortable, regardless of people's genders or sexualities.

Do you dislike LGBT people showing affection because of the fact that they're LGBT?

I try to be accepting of everyone whether or not they have differences from me. We are all just people. What bothers me is people who think they are entitled to things because of race, gender, sexuality, etc. It's the type of thinking that perpetuates division and hate rather than solves it.

i dont think i was even exposed to the idea of other sexuality coming into play until i was maybe twelve? it was never a topic that was brought up in school, tv shows (at least the shows ive seen), and i know my parents look down upon anyone who isn't straight. i didnt hate them to begin with, and i dont hate them now

I didn't know it was a thing until I was around nine, and I didn't have a positive or negative opinion about it. Around 12/13 I first noticed I was attracted to girls and came out as a lesbian at 15. At first I was overexcited about the community, but after spending time online and in my school's GSA, I find a lot of people really embarrassing and irritating.

I'm going to start off by saying I have no intention whatsoever of creating a flame war thread.
Thats gonna happen and you know it

Seriously, my dad grew me up with saying stuff, not super bad stuff, but things like "gays shouldnt marry" and "being gay is weird" and ect, but when I grew up and knew it is more normal now, and my dad opinion is bad.
I'm completely straight but I have some gay friends and I feel like thats more normal, but when I was younger I thought more like him (like younger kids do).

I used to be homophobic honestly, but I have homophobic parents.
Now I have gay friends and I support them.

Gay people disgust me...jk I've never been a homophobe/transphobe and never will be. I was raised with by my siblings and parents who always taught me open mindedness.

The community IS ironically very biphobic ans transphobic.

It's not unusual for me to hear something along the lines of...
"Bisexuals are greedy and need to pick a side."
"Bisexuals have so many to choose from so they're naturally unfaithful."
"Lesbian trans women are just men trying to invade lesbian spaces."

It's very disgusting. We as a community have a long way to go ourselves first if we expect others to follow.

Last edited:
LGBT IS BAD!!!111

obviously kidding...
Ever since i was raised my parents didn't ever told me things like "Men should marry Women" and stuff like that
They always had been teaching me to respect everyone around
Through, everyone in school and many other places they like calling them "F*gs" "Homosexuals/Gay*even through those aren't insults" :s

At first I didn't really care, but then I met my Physics teacher. I didn't know that he was gay until he got married over summer break. I was really excited for him because he was one of those really funny, cool teachers (I almost confused him for a student on the first day of class because he looked young and was wearing a hoodie). I couldn't really imagine him being tied down to a woman and now I know why.

It hasn't really changed much. I used to think gay people were really weird and then as I grew up, I learned that they are just like the rest of us. I've never been against same-sex marriage though; people can do whatever the hell they want.

I was raised by religious parents who weren't necessarily a fan of anything LGBT. But as I grew up, I realized I had gay friends (aND WHOA they weren't bad) and I accepted them for who they were. I realized it wasn't a choice and it's not anything I should have looked at from a negative standpoint. Eventually I stopped being such a homophobe and now I'm a homo what are the odds.

It hasn't really changed much. I used to think gay people were really weird and then as I grew up, I learned that they are just like the rest of us. I've never been against same-sex marriage though; people can do whatever the hell they want.

Ironically the one gay teacher in my school is really annoying and irresponsible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back