Robbers breaking into your house

Someone (or people) have broken into my townhouse when I was very young. I remember coming home from school and my grandma who always takes care of me on Mondays rushing towards me about the door being wide open. I was too young to really get the details, and to have anything of value stolen from me. I had a locked box of maybe $20-50 stashed that was stolen. Not sure what was stolen from my family other than my sis's consoles. I was pretty mad about my money. They broke in by throwing a rock through the window of the basement door. It was a little scary how they also broke down my mom's room door, which was always kept locked, and threw over the mattress, etc. No idea if they were found but we have a security system now in a nicer neighborhood. If it were to happen again I'd be pretty sad about my computer getting stolen and other valuables that are sentimental to me like the ring from grandma or the necklace from bf. I also have a lot of cash around, but I wouldn't be as devastated if they only stole those.

i'm really sentimental, so everything i own is worth crying over for me. it's hard to pick just one thing i'd want to keep, but i have this box of papers with my name on them. for as long as i can remember and still today, my mom would leave food on the table before she leaves for work, tears a piece of a paper towel and writes my name on it so we know which dish belongs to who. she doesnt do this as often anymore because i cook my own dinner most the time, but idk i just think its really sweet. i initially collected them for no reason, but now im kind of glad that i did

That's actually extremely sweet!

I've never had an uninvited guest break into my home and steal things, but some of my mom's precious jewelry went missing because of someone we knew. My mom thinks it was one of my ex close friends and usually her instincts are right. She acted sketchy when she was over, so it makes sense. But Idk for sure. Me and my "friend" were really close then, but she wasn't that close with my mom.

Anyways, I learned the hard way and don't really get attached to objects anymore. But some things hold a sentimental value and it's the memories that comes with it that can't be replaced. So I would be upset if someone took my ds, stuffed animal, and USB. My ds was like another world I could go to/best friend- me being an only child all my life. Also, I put all my important pictures/songs/ memories, etc in my USB. I would say phone, but I barely talk to anyone or go on social media lol.

Last edited:
ive never been robbed (not that I can remember at least) but I think what I'd be most afraid of is the safety of my pets. one of my dogs is old (she'll be 13 in September) and seems to think she's younger and bigger than she is, so I'd be terrified they'd hurt her as well as my younger dog. the younger one isn't even two yet, but although she loves everyone I'd be equally worried about them hurting her, just because shes so *****y. both my cats are still babies as well, and I'm always thinking about how I'd just scoop them into a backpack or something and run if I had to.

other than living things, I'd be really upset to lose my laptop since it cost me half my savings at the time, and some other small sentimental stuff. :c​

It'd be the violation that bothered me the most. The fact someone came into my home. That my safe place isn't safe.

When I went to Florida, our rental home got broken into and all of my video games were stolen. Literally the most heartbreaking moment of my life.

A few years back my dad let the pizza guy into our apartment to show him his music. My dad had his credit card on the table, and it got stolen. My dad checked his bank account and around 400$ was spent at the gas station on random sh**. He got the money back and the dude was fired, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't arrested. That's the only time we were ever really "robbed". If it happened again I'd be the most upset if my notebooks with drawings, consoles, or pets were taken..

Our house was robbed a few years back, maybe like 5 years ago? The extensions to our house were just built so my room and my parents' room were a bit new and the windows to my parents' new room didn't have grills yet, just sliding doors big enough for a person to pass. Anyway, we were robbed by two people in the middle of the night. Can't remember how much money was stolen (if there was any), but I knew that what was stolen were my parents' cellphones (thankfully they were like old-school phones so it wasn't a huge loss) and my PSP. They only broke into my parents' room; my room was locked at that time.

Funny actually that my PSP got wound up in this mess, because before I slept that night I was charging my PSP in my room. At some point during the night my mom took my PSP from my bedside, saying she wanted to play with it and promised to return it in the morning. That's why when my PSP was stolen, as a little kid, I blamed my mom for borrowing it and leaving it out in the open in their room. I ended up crying because of my lost PSP but my parents told me I should be thankful no one got hurt.

The police came in the morning and I snooped along with them and there were visible footprints on my parents' dusty floor (the room was just made so it was still kinda full of saw dust and cement dust), signs that there was indeed a robber. They speculated that there were two, actually, because my parents' room was on the second floor and the only way someone could get to their room via the window was by standing on my dad's car below the window (which also had visible footprints). The roof of the car was slightly far from the window in terms of height so two people working together to reach the second-floor windows seemed like a more possible idea.

I was hoping the police would find whoever broke into our house but eventually no news came to us. I was so sad because I thought they could find my PSP but I guess it's better to let replaceable things go than to see innocent people get hurt.

(sorry this was so long, the memory of it is still vivid in my mind ; v; )

WHy do I keep reading that as "rubbers" lol I imagine a buncha people in condom costumes lol.

But no thankfully enough I don't think we had that. Grandma had a few years ago though when she was away on holiday, they only stole like jewelry or something I think but yeah it's annoying for sure.

I would be more concerned with someone stealing my mom's jewelry than mine because i know she has heirlooms in her jewelry boxes and all of my stuff is "newer" styled, plus i don't have many pieces of gold jewelry yet. And my brothers' game consoles just because they've worked so hard to get them and devote hours to their games just like I do.
But disregarding those things I'd lose my cool if they took my siamese kitty Scuba. He's irreplaceable.

Last edited:
my house has never been broken into but i imagine it'd be terrible for some douche to steal my makeup or something aha

hELP THE ROBBER'S STABBING ME RIGHT NOW

no but touch my pop vinyl collection and your hands will be no more

Last edited:
hELP THE ROBBER'S STABBING ME RIGHT NOW

no but touch my pop vinyl collection and your hands will be no more

Yah, I can see old collections being a target, and have insane sentimental value.
If they found my magic the gathering card stash, or pokemon card stash, they'd make a lot more money than if they just stole cash.
We also have really old computers that we've had stashed in our basement for an eternity, but those are way out of the way, too.

When I went to Florida, our rental home got broken into and all of my video games were stolen. Literally the most heartbreaking moment of my life.

Dude what is it about Florida?! When I was on holiday there in 2009 our villa was broken into and they stole my DS, my brother's DS, my grandma's jewellery, and a pair of my grandad's sandals (they were fake designer though so the joke's on the burglar tbh). It was the most awful thing, I remember walking in and noticing something amiss from my room, like someone had tipped all of my stuff out onto my bed from my bag, and they didn't even put anything back, they just left it there, so it was obvious someone had broken in. I noticed my DS was gone and I started crying so much. I know it sounds silly, but it was just one of the worst moments of my life. I got that DS for Christmas when I was 7 and it was literally my favourite thing, I had gone through a lot with my DS and had lots of fond memories from playing games with friends like Nintendogs and Mario Kart and Pictochat. It was like the chunky pink DS Phat I believe?? So it was really really old. I don't think it would have been worth much anyway. My brother was even more distraught they took his DS because it had his copy of Pok?mon Emerald in it. We had spent months and months and months trying to find a copy of that for him (since we were buying it several years after it was released) and when we finally bought it he was so happy but then it had gone again. I'm just glad all I left in my DS was some Club Penguin game and not something like Pok?mon Pearl or Wild World because then I would have personally gone and found that burglar and strangled them with my bare hands. I was 11 though.

Anyway, in all seriousness, if you haven't had your house broken into, then good, and I hope it never happens to you. Having your possessions stolen is probably one of the worst things that can happen to you, especially when they take something which has so much sentimental value attached to it, like my DS did for me, and same with my grandma, because they stole some of her rings and jewellery she had gotten from my grandad. Even when I got a replacement DS it didn't feel the same having it, it just lost that sentimental value and I didn't appreciate it as much. And when your house is broken into it feels like your privacy has been violated and you begin to feel so insecure and unsafe, even though your home should be perhaps the only place in the world where you should feel secure, happy, and comfortable.

Honestly, I don't sympathise with burglars, I don't care what petty motives they may have for stealing things, it's disgusting and greedy. :\

I hate reading these stories, robbers are such low-life people I can't stand it. Luckily, our home has never been broken into before. I would just be so worried about my family/pets getting hurt and then never being able to feel safe in the house again.
I'm also really lucky the apartments I've lived in have never been broken into when at college. College towns have so much crime and I hear about break-ins all the time, I'm just so glad it's never happened to me.

Within the last year, my mom had her car broken into while she was at the dog park. They shattered her window and stole her purse with her wallet and phone in it. I just can't stand people who steal from others. It makes me so mad just thinking about it :(

I've had people try to break into my house once because we bought a house that used to be a party house for all the local kids, so once we moved in they were breaking through our fence in the back yard but my mom scared them off by blinding them with a flashlight and pretending she was a man. XD I was really scared during the fire that we were going to get looted because lots of people were out looting and it was awful, thankfully we didn't get looted but I was scared someone was going to come in and still our our technology like our tvs and consoles and computers, but I was even more concerned the fire was going to beat them to it so... but for sure it really made me think about it and everything and I now have a lot of my valuable memento type stuff in a tub in our garage so I can easily take it if another thing like a fire or flood was to happen.

My tube amplifier & studio headphones. I've partially lost my hearing to this rig and have become very sentimentally attached. I intend to keep it forever even if/when I upgrade someday, it would be devastating to lose it. :(

Back