• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Pokémon Anime Discussion

Holla

Easter Moon
Cherry 🍒
Persimmon 🍅
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Easter Egg
Not sure if one of these exists yet or not, but I couldn't find anything. Anyways, come on in here to chat about the Pok?mon Anime anywhere from the very first season to the most current season and beyond.

I myself used to watch some of the Johto era seasons as a kid and about two years ago I decided to give watching the series from the beginning a go and man it's a long one.

I'm currently just about the Start the 13th season Sinnoh League Victors. It's the last Sinnoh season. I took a long break from watching the anime around the time I got to the Battle Frontier Season (last season of Hoenn) as that's when the voice actors changed for the dub. To this day I'm still not a fan of the change but I've gotten used to it enough to put up with it I guess.

As time goes on I am definitely finding the anime getting extremely repetitive and boring at times, but I guess as a huge Pokemon fan I just keep coming back to it. :)

Last edited:
Glad somebody made this thread. I've been rewatching the entire first anime and am currently on episode 192 of the Johto league. I don't know if I'll continue afterwards though because the new voices kind of suck.

Glad somebody made this thread. I've been rewatching the entire first anime and am currently on episode 192 of the Johto league. I don't know if I'll continue afterwards though because the new voices kind of suck.

Yeah I was surprised there wasn't a thread on the anime in here. And I hear ya on the voices the first episode I watched with the new voices made me want to throw up by the end of the episode. I took a long break before going back to it, and even when I did the voices still bothered me.

I guess I've just told myself there's nothing to do about them and they've been using those voices for awhile now so might as well just get used to it. Even today the voices still sound dumb to me but I've grown some sort of tolerance for them I guess. They still suck though...

I've always attempted to watch the entire series, but there is so many episodes! I recently restarted a couple days ago and I only made it to like Episode 3-5.

I enjoy the anime a lot since back in my childhood and I still enjoy them now and then as, in my opinion, the voiceover is not that bad. Imagine how weird I think he sounds in my main language which is Spanish. Although I only saw the first season in Spanish so, who knows how drastic the voice changes in the Spanish dub. But right now, in my childhood days, I like english dub more than Spanish and Japanese dub. From when the changes on his voice started to change my thoughts, I believe in Diamond and Pearl, I liked the Japanese one more than the English one. Cannot say much for Spanish as again, I stopped listening to it in Spanish.

Now what I get a bit frustrated about is not really the voices. I am fine with the English and Japanese voices, and I mean all of them. Even the current ones. But what I am not fine about is how they never explained a few strange logic that works differently. Like in one of the Hoenn episode, Pikachu using an electric type move on top of Swellow. Like what? Swellow would have fainted! They wouldn't have turned golden! Or the fact that Spoinks in a lot of episodes appears standing still when the pokedex says "If it stops bouncing, it will die". But we all know they will not make the poor Spoink die in the anime. So that logic passes my mind.

Kanto to Johto of the anime is my jam, though I recently rewatched those seasons and a lot of Johto is pretty weak, admittedly. As a kid I stopped watching at Hoenn because I was so annoyed at what they were doing to Team Rocket's characters/the removal of Brock and Misty and as an adult rewatching I stopped at the same point for the same reason hahaha I'd like to see more series based off the games sometime, that don't include Ash, like Pok?mon Origins (I haven't watched that yet actually pff)

Even though the anime is really formulaic and has some questionable logic at points, I still appreciate it for a lot of things really.

The music had some great remixes of the themes from the games along with some great original pieces, before Pokemon Origins I love what they did with the locations from the games, and although the main character himself is not really interesting the side and villain characters are great.

I stopped at different points of the anime, I haven't watched the anime since the Black and White seasons.
I do like how they handled that season, but really the only reason I was watching the anime at that point was for Oshawott.

Last edited:
I saw in BW the quality went way down and it became a very redundant annoying anime. XY had a little hope but I got bored of it after a while, Sinnoh and the original have some of the highest quality to me

Started season 13 finally! It's weird it honestly doesn't feel like a new season as everything is still the exact same style (like the screen where it shows the episode name). Only real difference is the opening theme of course.

Can't wait to finally finish off Sinnoh.

Last edited:
Been an on and off watcher for a while, missed chunks of the Orange Islands and Johto, but stuck with it up until DP where I fell off because I felt like Ash was too whiny. I got back on around the final B/W season (GOD I HATED IRIS) and have mostly kept up since. Missed a few episodes that apparently aired during the holiday season when I was busiest, but I'm loving X/Y and X/Y/Z.

Recommend watching the XY and Z series! Much better than the XY series! Only under 30 episodes in and lots of things have happened!

My favorite season was the orange league
Because his team was good and it's when charizard finally learn and because he a beat the league :O

Yeah I was surprised there wasn't a thread on the anime in here. And I hear ya on the voices the first episode I watched with the new voices made me want to throw up by the end of the episode. I took a long break before going back to it, and even when I did the voices still bothered me.

I guess I've just told myself there's nothing to do about them and they've been using those voices for awhile now so might as well just get used to it. Even today the voices still sound dumb to me but I've grown some sort of tolerance for them I guess. They still suck though...

Yeah, once they switched studios it was like they cut the budget of voice acting to zero. I may give the new seasons a go still. I read on a forum post the voices don't actually change until season 9 (Battle Frontier) if that's correct. If the new voices are that bad I'll give the Japanese subs a try. I'm actually kind of excited watching the anime over again because as a kid I didn't get to make it all the way through Johto. Currently on episode 196 now where Ash and his Snorlax somehow won a wrestling Pokemon tournament.

Pokemon XY&Z Official Anime Discussion

NOTE: This is a discussion for the anime, not the game.

pokemon_xyz_poster.jpg

The journey of Satoshi and his friends through the Kalos region continues! After Satoshi obtains his seventh gym badge, the group is moving toward the next town when Eureka discovers a mysterious Pokemon resting in her pochette. Soon given the name Puni-chan, it is one that even Satoshi and Serena's new Pokemon Zukan cannot identify. However, it quickly becomes apparent that Puni-chan is the target of a mysterious group clad in bright red suits known as Team Flare, aiming to capture the new Pokemon to further their agenda. But when Satoshi and the gang realize that the enigmatic organization has no intention of treating Puni-chan with any decency, they take a stand in opposition to Team Flare's plans, daring to fight back.

Source: MyAnimeList

Most Current Episode Released

Japanese: Episode #27
Released every Thursday
7:00pm Japan Standard Time
(US 5:00am Central Standard Time)
English: Episode #14
Released every Saturday
6:00am East - 7:00am West

Hello!
I have always been a huge fan of the Pokemon anime, and I've been watching it pretty much all the time since I was little. Now we are at this season of XY, which honestly has brought back the spark of Pokemon for a lot of us who have been watching for awhile.
XY has been a great season so far, and XYZ has been even better. I have been watching it on and off until recently, when XYZ came out. I have talked to a few people here on the forums who keep up with it every week, but I would love to meet some more fans.​

In this thread, discuss the recent release of Pokemon XY&Z episodes, or other Pokemon episodes in the XY series. This thread is for both the English and the Japanese release of Pokemon, so please use spoilers when discussing the Japanese version of the anime.

Well, friend there are many ways to begin your journey watching the anime! I'll split this up into three separate categories to make things a little easier.

• [*=left]If you watch Pokemon in English and want more...
Consider watching the Japanese version! The Japanese version is about 10 to 15 episodes ahead of the regular English weekly release. If you don't mind reading subtitles, I highly recommend it! The Japanese version doesn't sound cheesy and "little kid"-ish like the English version does, imo. A lot of the reasoning for that has to do with the Japanese voice cast has been the same for the past 20 years, versus the English one has changed a few times. The music is spectacular, as well!

• [*=left]If you have never watched before, but want to start somewhere...
I think you should start at XY. XY is a great season to pick up on for someone wanting to get in on the hype! Right now, there are around 90 episodes of XY and 27 episodes of XY&Z. Sounds a little overwhelming, but don't worry! I have made a list of all the "required" episodes for my friend who recently got super into Pokemon. Please check out the spoiler for more info!
Note: This is a list of all the Pokemon episodes that add to the development of the story. I have compiled it so that it leaves out the filler episodes that don't really add much substance to the journey.

What makes an episode a filler?
If the episode introduces a character that doesn't reoccur, it is a filler. If the episode only involves Team Rocket trying to catch Pikachu, then it is a filler. Any other episodes that don't really have much for the story, is a filler.

Some of the fillers, however, are actually good episodes, so I have left a few of the good fillers in the list.

What doesn't make an episode a filler?
If Ash or one of his friends catches a Pokemon during the episode, then it is not a filler. If the episode is a battle, then it is not a filler.

With all that being said, here is the list!

List of Non-Filler Episodes for Pokemon XYList of Non-Filler Episodes for Pokemon XY&Z
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7

Episode 9

Episode 14

Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 20
Episode 21

Episode 23
Episode 24
Episode 25
Episode 26

Episode 28
Episode 29
Episode 30
Episode 31
Episode 32
Episode 33
Episode 34
Episode 35
Episode 36
Episode 37

Episode 39
Episode 40
Episode 41
Episode 42
Episode 43
Episode 44

Episode 47
Episode 48
Episode 49
Episode 50
Episode 51
Episode 52
Episode 53

Episode 55
Episode 56

Episode 58
Episode 59
Episode 60

Episode 64
Episode 65
Episode 66
Episode 67
Episode 68
Episode 69
Episode 70

Episode 72
Episode 73
Episode 74
Episode 75
Episode 76
Episode 77
Episode 78

Episode 80
Episode 81

Episode 85
Episode 86
Episode 87

Episode 89 to the end (93)
Episode 1

Episode 3

Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10

Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14

Episode 16
Episode 17

Episode 19
Episode 20

Episode 22
Episode 23

Episode 25
Episode 26
Episode 27
Episode 28
Episode 29
...currently airing

• If you just want more in general...
Start from the beginning! It takes awhile, but it is definetly worth it! I made it my summer project in 4th grade, and rewatched everything again in 8th grade, so it is possible! There are over 900 episodes now that XY&Z has come out! (Although to be honest, you could completely skip Black and White and you wouldn't lose anything lol)​

Thank you! I hope there is some good episode discussion that comes out of this!!

I'll start off my bit of discussion with a spoiler~ I watch the Japanese releases, and this is going to be about episode 27.

Ash's 8th gym battle. Dang, I knew something was gonna come out of it, and I wasn't really expecting him to win, but that was hard to watch. Anyone else's thoughts on it? Ash hasn't really lost this badly since DP and Paul (besides the horrors of BW), but this is also one of the first time his character is actually having character development!! I'm excited to see Ash's growth, and I am hoping for the best for him in the league.
I know it hasn't been subbed yet, so there might not be much discussion until then, but if anyone is needing some translations for the episode, let me know haha;;

Last edited:
Yeah, once they switched studios it was like they cut the budget of voice acting to zero. I may give the new seasons a go still. I read on a forum post the voices don't actually change until season 9 (Battle Frontier) if that's correct. If the new voices are that bad I'll give the Japanese subs a try. I'm actually kind of excited watching the anime over again because as a kid I didn't get to make it all the way through Johto. Currently on episode 196 now where Ash and his Snorlax somehow won a wrestling Pokemon tournament.

Yes, you can safely watch the English dub all the way until the final episode of season 8 and you will not run into the cast change. The change only affects the first episode of season 9 and onward I believe. I remember wishing they had at least waited to finish the Hoenn episodes/seasons before changing the voices but oh well. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Honestly so far XY and Z has been so much better than the XY series! Not to mention the development of everyone!

-Eevee evolved into Sylveon! Kinda expecting it but the japanese episode was much better than the english one!
-Ash Greninja VS Mega Gardevoir=AMAZING! If Ash didn't faint, he woulda beat Diantha at the rate he was going!
-Ash lost against Wulfric... Proves how strong Avalugg can be :cool:
-Can't believe Serena made it to the final round in the master class showcase! Can't wait to see the
next master class!

Wild guess but there are two episodes that haven't aired that catch my interest: "Ash Greninja vs Mega Abomasnow! The Giant Water Shruiken Triggers!!" and "Find Carbink! Goodra and Dedenne!!"
- Is Goodra returning back to Ash? Will Goodra aid Ash in his battle against Wulfric?
- Does Mega Abomasnow belong to Wulfric? Did Wulfric discover the abomasite and also had a keystone? If Ash wins would it count towards the last badge he needs?

Last edited:
Very pumped to see where the series is headed! The last episode was beautiful and made me tear up a bit! (But XY/Z has kinda of had a habit of doing that to me haha). Excited to see Reawakened Greninja tomorrow against Wulfric. It's gonna be a battle for the ages, and has the potential to make it atop the top battles, imo, from this series. (vs Diantha, vs Olympia, vs Alain II).

Interested to find out more about Iris as I'm only 10 episodes away from finally starting the Unova episodes. From what I've heard you either quite like her as she's a nice change from May and Dawn who were both similar in the fact that they were both girly and loved contests. Or she absolutely drives you nuts. We'll see I suppose.

Interested to find out more about Iris as I'm only 10 episodes away from finally starting the Unova episodes. From what I've heard you either quite like her as she's a nice change from May and Dawn who were both similar in the fact that they were both girly and loved contests. Or she absolutely drives you nuts. We'll see I suppose.

She will probably drive you nuts. I was not a fan of her character until the final season really because I think they caught on to what made her so goddamned irritating.

I really liked pokemon as a kid, but I stopped watching it before black and white started.

I just grew too bored of the same boring Ash - Pikachu combo and how literally every episode follows the same plot line as every other episode...

"Crew meet some new guys, new pokemon and they befriend them. Then Team rocket appears out of nowhere and captures said pokemon, then ash and the gang defeat team rocket (and the blast off again) and then it's happy ever after until team rocket attacks next episode and so on."

boring.

Back