• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Coelacanth is evil

nerdatheart9490

Pokemon Professor
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Seriously. It's a rainy day in my town. I've been fishing for nearly 3 hours. Nothing. The biggest shadow I get is from the sea bass. I've been catching them just in case they're the ancient fish in disguise. Nothing. WHYYYYYYYY.

I've even looked up cheats and rumors and have tried them. Still nothing!

Feel free to share your own story on catching this elusive fish, or other fish or bugs. We can all be frustrated together.

They are bigger than sea bass. They have longer and narrower shadows like tuna, oarfish, and blue marlins. They aren't that hard to find if you can tell the difference and scare the sea bass away without wasting your time catching them.

3 hours of nonstop fishing? Ouch... I know coelancanth shadows are typically bigger and longer than the sea bass, though you probably already know that. Good luck finding one, though!

I remember one time I wasn't even trying to catch it, and I saw the coelacanth's shadow... but it was too late 'cause I was running.... and... it got scared. I was quite upset over that. lol

I think they're quite rare so they dont spawn often. Just keep trying, you'll get one.

Looking at this and giving Grizzly one at the same time... my cycle town has non stop rain if anyone wants to come, pm me

I've seen the coelacanth's shadow a few times. Caught it... it was a sea bass. This has happened twice. I think there's a glitch in the Matrix.

- - - Post Merge - - -

OMFG. IT TOOK 4 HOURS, BUT I GOT ONE!!!!

I've seen the coelacanth's shadow a few times. Caught it... it was a sea bass. This has happened twice. I think there's a glitch in the Matrix.

- - - Post Merge - - -

OMFG. IT TOOK 4 HOURS, BUT I GOT ONE!!!!

congrats! 4 hours though?? I've caught one a few times...

When I first started my town, I was fishing one day and I caught it randomly. I sold it and didn't realize how rare it was... I hate my past noob self...

yeah, 4 hours is a long time-- i run towards a fish shadow to scare it off if i know its not coelecanth/shark/whatever im trying to catch; that usually speeds up the process.

i was going through some screen shots last nite and i have a bunch where i posed all over town with a coelacanth. i guess i'd call that-- coelacanthing? :rolleyes: maybe i'll post some pix later...

Last edited:
It took me a lot of time to get my first coelacanth, but the other day I went to another town in which it was raining and I happened to go down the slope towards the beach to see what there was and there was a huge shadow, so I reeled it in and it was a coelacanth, lol. If only it had been this easy to get it for the first time...

Congrats on getting a Coelacanth! I'm not sure if i've caught one yet, since i've just been donating whatever I have to the museum without really paying attention but if I have donated it i'll know I got pretty lucky then, LOL. Edit: Looked it up on google and noticed I haven't caught one. Although i'm not really all that in a rush though since I usually don't complete my museum all that quickly (or have attempted to complete it once I get the cafe.)

Some posted that it helps to walk the full length of the river or ocean. I caught fish along the way and released them at the waterfall. Found just trying to catch large fish only didn't work Going inside a building helps to spawn new ones. Also did the save/continue a lot when I was fishing in another town.
Noticed when the clock change to a new hour the fish change.
I've caught large fish that looked like it was the coelacanth but it was only the sea bass. Kept fishing until the game gave one up.
After the mayor got her golden fishing rod the side players borrowed it to make fishing easier.

After 4 hours of fishing Mr. Badge Guy should be arriving to give you a badge.

I wish it rained more later in the day in my towns. I'd catch more fishies. And a snail. I need one of those too.

Back