• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

amiibo Festival Top Reasons why Animal crossing Amiibo Festival Failed?

I was gonna mention how it's basically a bad version of mario party, but I see that's been said.

The game needs new dialogue.. It can get quite.. Repeatable.. But I like it.. The amiibo's are really nice and very detailed c: The boardgame is pretty cute, but playing it alone.. *sigh*. And the fact that the mini-games aren't on board.. It's odd.. But it is saving alot of time o: Instead you can play the games after the boardgame or before. The game doesn't deserve all the hate :c They tried something new, and that is okay :)

- Everyone wanted AC Wii U, the E3 Trailer was just a massive nope
- Amiibos are required, most people like myself don't have that kind of funding
- Mario Party clone

The game just isn't entertaining and has little to no replay value. The need for amiibo is also a major turn off, to get the full game with all of the characters it would cost someone 241.43 US Dollars (as long as I did my math right) which close to nobody would want to pay for a good game, let alone a boring piece of trash.

A lot of people in this thread have made a lot of good points. I'm somebody that was holding out for an Animal Crossing Wii U... and when I saw the Amiibo Festival trailer at E3 2015 my heart just sunk. I knew the dream was dead. What we were getting was just such a disappointment and it was so obvious to understand why. There are so many small changes they could have made to this game to make it accessible and interesting, but instead it just seemed like a complete cash grab. I hadn't been so disappointed in something related to gaming in a long time...

But in the end, that move drove me towards sucking it up and finally grabbin' a 3DS and games to go with it. Now, New Leaf is my favourite AC game of all time. Let's say they WERE working on a Wii U game that got "modified" into AF... well if Amiibo Festival's existence means that instead we're going to get an NX AC game closer to the NX's launch (rather than having to wait later into it's lifecycle to get a next next level one) that's fine with me. I do feel for all of you veterans though that've had New Leaf since release years ago... probably just can't wait for the next game!

I just wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. I played it on my nephews wii u and wasn't impressed enough to buy the console just to get the game (which I've done before for other games that were only available on a certain console). I just don't feel as much thought has gone into it. I'm not a massive fan of home designer really, but even that is better done. Just my opinion of course. I do feel I gave it a chance. Just isn't for me

I remember summer 2015 looking up new animal crossing, then I found Happy Home Designer (this was before the Japan release)
and I watched the E3 thing about it then I saw the Amiibo Festival for the Wii U on the side thing (on youtube) I watched it then I was like so disappointed.

-Like other people said, it is boring (I haven't played it but I saw videos) it's the same as pressing the A button over and over except it makes you spend more money
-so many people don't have a Wii U (including me)
-no one asked Nintendo for this (Nintendo obviously doesn't pay attention to the fans of the game)

The fact that you need an AC Amiibo to play or else if you got the game without amiibos you're screwed

And the fact the whole game is just putting the Amiibo in the NFC reader

With Happy Home Designer, at least the Amiibo are not absolutely necessary. And HHD seems to have more thought and development put into it than AF.

different development teams. The core Animal Crossing group after Splatoon did this- end credits show similar names to New Leaf, and NDCube did AF. They also did the Mario Party games. Even with the same executive producer, the core group developing HHD and AF weren't the same.

A lot of people in this thread have made a lot of good points. I'm somebody that was holding out for an Animal Crossing Wii U... and when I saw the Amiibo Festival trailer at E3 2015 my heart just sunk. I knew the dream was dead. What we were getting was just such a disappointment and it was so obvious to understand why. There are so many small changes they could have made to this game to make it accessible and interesting, but instead it just seemed like a complete cash grab. I hadn't been so disappointed in something related to gaming in a long time...

But in the end, that move drove me towards sucking it up and finally grabbin' a 3DS and games to go with it. Now, New Leaf is my favourite AC game of all time. Let's say they WERE working on a Wii U game that got "modified" into AF... well if Amiibo Festival's existence means that instead we're going to get an NX AC game closer to the NX's launch (rather than having to wait later into it's lifecycle to get a next next level one) that's fine with me. I do feel for all of you veterans though that've had New Leaf since release years ago... probably just can't wait for the next game!

Gahh I really hope that's true... I will only buy the NX for AC, and the less time I have to wait, the better.

I played it with friends once and it was soooo BORING. AC is too nice and calm of a game to make it into a party game. I've had more excitement and competition with the Island Tour mini games.

Reason 1: using the Animal Crossing label for a game that isn't like Animal Crossing.
Explanation: when you create a significant fanbase they expect new games following the previous one's footsteps after a long silence, not side games. See how the Metroid and Paper Mario fanbases blew up, for instance.

Reason 2: by alienating the above fanbase you are left with a tiny audience of family members who bought a Wii U and want to play party games

Reason 3: Unlike Mario Party an Animal Crossing themed game in this style is new and has not proven itself in the past.

Reason 4: High price AND basically an amiibo necessity.

That's my instinct.

Last edited:
I didn't hate the game, I just found it to be a little dull. It needed something to break up the monotony of going around the board, something like the mini games present in Mario Party. I know there were things like special visitors and holidays, but for some reason it just wasn't enough. I also didn't like having to scan the Amiibo every turn, although the newest Mario Party game requires you to do that at some points.

It replaces the functionality of a button with a $13 figure. That's required to play. Also all you do is tap the figure and watch the game play itself.

There wan't enough to do, i kinda wish the boards could of been towns from other games...

I think the problem with the concept is that it was essentially a means to an end. They created the game to sell Amiibo, and I am not sure how well it did it's job. It is a lot of cards for a franchise, that while popular, is kind of in the Simulation niche. I think they might have been better off with more limited releases of Animal Crossing Amiibo instead of creating a game.

While the fact that amiibo are required to play and that it's very repetitive are obvious reasons, I think it's mainly because people were expecting an actual Animal Crossing for Wii U and they got this instead.

Requires a wii u and the only reason that extra console pack is selling is because of Splatoon... plus the cost of the game plus the cost of the amiibooooss...nah thanks

It's the fact you have to buy little accessories just for a game while getting the game AND the Wii U. And it's not like traditional Animal Crossing games, it's a bit more like a Mario Party game

Back