• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

amiibo Festival Top Reasons why Animal crossing Amiibo Festival Failed?

Marc Franks

Animal crosser
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I was very disappointed.. Not at the game, No! never, I was disappointed at how most of the animal crossing community sees this game as a failure! :(

Sure, It's fairly different from he traditional Animal crossing games we've played and loved, I can understand where Nintendo was trying to go with this, they wanted a game that would fully utilize the amiibos to sell there toys while making profit off animal crossing. It wasn't in there intentions to make a bad game, they wanted to expand there animal crossing franchise seeing as its been very successful. The game is compared to Mario party but that doesn't make them the same game, Like how monopoly(console version) isn't the same as Mario party.

I just wish people were more open minded and more accepting of new things, I'm actually glad Nintendo is trying to deliver NEW and exciting things for the fans instead of creating the same franchises over and over again with better graphics.

Animal crossing amiibo festival is not a bad game, Its just misunderstood as a Mario party try hard.

So about the thread title, What are your personal top reasons why you think the game failed to appeal the animal crossing community as a whole?

Last edited:
I was very disappointed.. Not at the game, No! never, I was disappointed at how most of the animal crossing community sees this game as a failure! :(

Sure, It's fairly different from he traditional Animal crossing games we've played and loved, I can understand where Nintendo was trying to go with this, they wanted a game that would fully utilize the amiibos to sell there toys while making profit off animal crossing. It wasn't in there intentions to make a bad game, they wanted to expand there animal crossing franchise seeing as its been very successful. The game is compared to Mario party but that doesn't make them the same game, Like how monopoly(console version) isn't the same as Mario party.

I just wish people were more open minded and more accepting of new things, I'm actually glad Nintendo is trying to deliver NEW and exciting things for the fans instead of creating the same franchises over and over again with better graphics.

Animal crossing Amiibo festival is not a bad game, Its just misunderstood as a Mario party try hard.

So about the thread title, What are your personal top reasons why you think the game failed to appeal the animal crossing community as a whole?
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I purchased Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival because I thought it looked like a good game to play with friends. I also like the fact that you get two Animal Crossing amiibo and three Animal Crossing amiibo Cards as part of the bundle.

Its price
How you NEED amiibo to play it
Mario Party clone

Basically my issues with it. I also don't have a Wii U, and not a lot of people seem to so that might be a factor too.

Its price
How you NEED amiibo to play it
Mario Party clone

Basically my issues with it. I also don't have a Wii U, and not a lot of people seem to so that might be a factor too.
With Happy Home Designer, at least the Amiibo are not absolutely necessary. And HHD seems to have more thought and development put into it than AF.

Isn't Animal crossing amiibo festival 14.99 on amazon? or was that another animal crossing game, I cannot remember, Its a one time deal though.

1. Like you said, it's basically a Mario Party tryhard.
2. They wasted all of that time modeling things in HD... for the Wii U... for a party game. Ever since Animal Crossing was represented in Nintendo Land, people have been wanting a traditional Animal Crossing game on the Wii U. This would also fall into tradition of having an Animal Crossing game on home console since the 64DD.
3. All you do is tap your amiibo then watch the game play. They basically replaced the functionality of a button with a plastic figure.

Although I never played it, just from looking at it I can tell it's already a flop.
It's just some huge money grab. You need amiibos to play this darn game, and the fact that it's a tryhard Mario Party game makes it stale and unorignal.

HHD was a step in the right direction, If Nintendo wanted to expand Animal Crossing as a Franchise, they did it there. HHD is different, but still conveys the charm that the main games have. However, the problem with amiibo Festival is in the name. Amiibo. The fact you need amiibo to play is just a money grabbing ploy. They wanted to make ac amiibo but couldn't figure out a way so they just copied mario party. It isn't even a good mario party copy. You scan the amiibo and then watch. I don't even think there's playable mini games, which is what makes Mario Party such a hit.

~edited out after seeing young me make a cringe comment~

Last edited:
I don't like it since is basically a Mario Party "rip off" I put rip off in "" since both are made by Nintendo O_e should have made Animal Crossing character DLC for Mario Party like they did for Mario Kart, but that's just my opinion :3

The traditional game was already super awesome. It's not a bad idea to follow the previous games since that's what most buyers liked and enjoyed! But yeah it's nice that Nintendo tried to incorporate new features to make a profit and for people who played animal crossing, but is money more important than the wants of the people? If people don't like it the money might not be all that profitable. I'm not even disappointed in the festival game, I'm more concerned that from all the complaints about festivale the game that they might not continue with the animal crossing series or become less of a priority.. Yeh just a thought though, hope it contributed to the question xD and if anything the amiibos are sweet cx

I think it failed because everyone just really wanted a whole new Animal Crossing game instead of some spin off. I think many people said that about HHD too

Nearly all the nintendo consoles have had an original AC series game for its generation, and it only makes sense the Wii U was going to get one. Seeing AC Festival only added disappointment to what people were anticipating for.

AC:HHD is a good successor to a spin off for 2 reasons:
1. It came out after the ACNL game released, thus it'll be more likely to be appreciated.
2. It's creativity to customize

AC: Festival is yet another party game... There's already way too many party clones for the Wii u... Its like.. come on you couldn't think of anything better for a spin off?

Also, The game requires amiibos, it lacks any competition, and seems rather expensive for lack of content.

I'm pretty sure this game would've been more appreciated if there was an original AC series game that released before it.
People really anticipate new features in the next AC game that ACNL could grow from. And if its on the Wii u, the nice new graphics.

Sigh, well I can only hope this E3 there's a wii u animal crossing for reals :c

I think it ultimately failed because it was a terrible use of a spin-off... think of all the things you COULD do with the animal crossing universe and they pick a pitiful attempt at a Mario Party type game and slap the ACNL people on it

My biggest gripe is you don't really DO anything with this game... all you do is slap your amiibo down to roll a dice and BAM! gameplay.... not really

I guess I can't really talk, I don't own this game, but Ive watched game plays on Youtube and thats what I got from that.

1) Cash grab with poorly selling Amiibo that stores can't even get rid of
2) A literal game about nothing
3) A party game that should have been FREE

/thread

While I do agree with others that the need for amiibos and the price are iffy, as a giant amiibo fan, it wasn't a big deal to me.

I actually really like the game quite a bit, I think that the best thing that they could have done would be to just have slightly more strategy. My suggestion would be to combine the mini games as part of the board game, so that you have some variety and challenge. Other than that though, I actually like the game a fair bit!! It also would have been nice to have slightly more villager interaction, like maybe being able to pick a top ten of the villagers you've entered into the plaza-y area to be your villagers on the board, that could be fun too!!

But overall, it's a little laidback, but it's pretty fun in my opinion.

I have the game and can enjoy playing it for a while, but I do think that it was not what people wanted.

It's fairly pricey for what it is. At $70 CAD (?) it felt like a lot (but then again, you also get 2 amiibos and 3 cards, so almost half the price is the accessories). Still, the game requires little to no effort.

I think it really failed because it's viewed as a money-grab and Nintendo's efforts at selling amiibos and cards as necessary accessories to the game.

People wanted to see a legit AC HD game rather than another board game tbh.....and I think im one of those people honestly.

-Overpriced
-Need the figures + the game price
-No one wanted this game

HHD at least was a bit creative and a fun little 3DS title.

Back