Is animal crossing new leaf Liked by hardcore gamers?

Marc Franks

Animal crosser
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Animal crossing is very unique game, Do you personally see this game appealing to hardcore gamers, or is it more appealing to just casual gamers?

I think it's more popular with casual gamers. Granted, some people spend an insane amount of time working on their towns, but I usually think of "hardcore" gamers as people who spend a lot of time playing competitive games to get extremely good at those games whereas Animal Crossing is not really a game which you can be good or bad at. You just do whatever you want in ACNL.

I don't think you can be seriously into Animal Crossing without being a hardcore gamer of sorts because it's that kind of game.It can take a great deal of time to play,be completely engrossing and most importantly,it's a lot of fun.Everyone has a different interpretation of what a "hardcore" gamer is but I don't think it appeals to just casual gamers.

I def am a hardcore gamer and i'm obsessed with animal crossing. I used to be a die hard poke'mon and zelda girl and i still am but animal crossing definitely takes priority now. I love it and i love how customizable everything is

Last edited:
Depends on how you define "hardcore gamer" really.

At it's core, a "hardcore gamer" is one who plays, and spends a lot of time playing, games and be "better" at it - no matter the genre. It's not just restricted to "competitive" gaming - where there is prizes and money involved.

AC can be "hardcore" as you see there is a big community of players and players spend a lot of time "perfecting" their towns/dreamies/badges/records etc. Heck, they even trade "bells" online.

That's my 2 cents, sorry for the long rant.

I have friends who are "hardcore gamers" meaning its their main hobby and how they choose to spend most of their time, as well as these friends of mine also play allll sorts of games and genres. But they play animal crossing and really enjoy it. Thats why I love this game so much because it really is a game for everyone. I consider myself more of a casual gamer, and Im also more picky about what I play but have always loved Animal crossing

I guess it really just depends on who you consider a hardcore gamer and what games a hardcore gamer would play.
I know some people who spent little time working on their town, and instead made it a goal to own all items in-game, letting their town develop as they slowly get the items. So... to some hardcore gamers, collecting everything might seem appealing.
Although most people just play Animal Crossing for its freedom of customization, which is usually something that casual players do. So it depends mostly on why you play the game and the basic goals as a player you set when you first play.

Yes and no? Yes, due to the collection aspect. I have a friend who considers himself hardcore and has slaved over this game to find all the bugs, fossils, fish; get a perfect town; etc. and did it all within a year's time. No, because the game isn't action based, there's no flashing lights, nothing really to strive for besides the previously mentioned goals.

Personally, I think it appeals to more casual gamers because of the fact you can play the game at your own pace and there isn't a specific goal for each day that passes in game. Also, personally when I think of hardcore gamers, I think of games where you need to gain levels to progress and such, or be certain levels to compete against other players and people get pretty hardcore with those, because they need to train to unlock better weapons or to be more overpowered in game. So they put a lot of time into it, and play often. Whereas in new leaf there is no levels and you can play at your own pace, any time and anywhere because there is no real goals. So I think ACNL appeals more to casual gamers in my opinion.

I'm kind of a casual gamer. I play stuff like Pokemon and Animal Crossing, maybe a bit of Legend of Zelda, but not competitively. I feel like it appeals more to people like me because it's a fun, (mostly) relaxing game with different things to do. There's no complicated story, and you don't have to work really hard on your town unless you want to. You sort of play any time you want, at your own pace. But a hardcore gamer could play it too.

I spend a lot of time on zelda/Pokemon X/sapphire/Ruby/super dungeon/ACNL/etc etc ;)
I'd still consider myself a fairly casual gamer, but I have spent a lot of time getting my ACNL villagers, getting all my items (almost every unorderable) getting every single pwp available, getting every shop open. That is just the style I like to play in, I enjoy making it a bit competitive, even though the game isn't actually meant to be played that way.
So from that side of it I would say it can very much appeal to a hardcore gamer

My husband is a hardcore gamer and he doesnt like animal crossing at all lol, he likes RPGs tho, but this game isnt very challenging for him

I personally play ACNL to relieve stress. It's pleasant, there's always things to tweak around, patterns to make, neighbors to chat with, etc.

I stay away from true competitive games because it's too much a stress to be perfect when in reality, it's not worth the time spent. So things like Pokemon, I am largely "in-game" only. That said, I train and breed all my pokemon to be respectable in competitive play. Why? Because on the rare occasion I do play against a competitive player, I can say I don't battle competitively and then give 'em a nightmare of a fight. Because they think just because I don't battle competitively, then that means I don't TRAIN competitively. >8D
But I find it nicer to battle with what I like rather then that stupid self-policed tier nonsense. If it's not recognized by actual tournament rules, then I don't recognize it. XD So I'm a weird kind of "hard-core" I guess.

Last edited:
Back