Taking hatred for certain villagers too far?

Sometimes, but i think its usually anger directed more towards them taking up room where a dreamie could be, or the person doesn't find their personality attractive, they landed on paths/hybrids & etc. Personally i hate mostly all of the jock villagers because i hate jocks and all of their designs are ugly as hell to me.
Before i knew that doing all that stuff doesn't really improve the chances of them leaving, i started being nice to them and that made them leave quicker lol. Me and my boyfriend always joke and say nintendo rigged the game to where the villagers you like the most are always the ones quickest to leave

Last edited:
i'd harass annalisa by burring a pitfall right infront of her every single day and when she came out i then bombarded her with net smacks to the face

i do feel kinda sad when people bully some ugly villagers :c
but i do understand that some villagers can be annoying (plotting in all the wrong places and destroying precious hybrids)
and some may look hideous,
but i can't bring myself to bully them,
i feel bad watching them fall into a pitfall and hitting them with nets.
the most that i've done is ignoring them hoping that it will make them move sooner,
but then i'll feel bad when they actually leave :c
this game just makes you feel all sort of things for these pixelated animals

~♚Vickie

Nah.
If someone wants to hate a villager, it's their prerogative. Though, I will say this: Out of the hundreds of villagers that were conceived throughout the Animal Crossing series, Rolf is the only villager I truly despise with an utter passion! Yes, I still have villagers that I kinda hate (e.g. Gaston, Portia, Blaire), but they do not come close to how much I hate Rolf. I would sure my story, but that would make this post too long and boring, so I'll just say I hate Rolf, because personal experience, he has a bad design, he is plain, and I think he is the most overrated villager in the series. I mean, were all entitled to our own opinions, no?

It even makes me more upset when people think people take love for a villager too far. There are TONS of villager that I love (especially the kangaroos), and Astrid is my absolute favorite villager of all time. Why? She has a cute design, she is my favorite species, and she always acts motherly towards me. I defiantly don't love her the same way I love my friends at school, but there is a connection, otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as dreamies.
I've actually read stories about villagers helping players through depression, so to those people, villagers are a lot more than just a bunch of pixels, sound, and data.

My point is: If someone wants to hate/love a villager, they have every right to! We can't judge/comment on some's "Villagers I Hate" list or "Villagers I Love" list, if we don't know their personal experience with them.

Yes and no. I myself have harassed my villagers more than what I should, but considering some of the circumstances, i.e. taking up the plot of a dreamie, being an uggo, smashing and ruining the land, etc., I think a lot of the criticism and hatred is personal but still justifiable. If you had an uggo come in and plot where you were about to place a dreamie, and also smash some hybrids/plants too, wouldn't you be a little upset? Imagine that happening multiple times, along with the difficulty of getting a dreamie plotted in time. People are just stressed, and by punishing the villagers they deem punishable, it makes them feel better. And when you're alone and no one is in your town, it gives you a moving target to bash with a toy hammer.

I think that hatred stems from the villager taking up space. You're stuck with them instead of getting a dreamy. For instance, I seriously dislike Curly. He's one of three jock villagers that had been living in my town up until this week. I hadn't talked to him in a month (until April Fool's unfortunately) and he still won't leave. Instead I lost Bam, who I actually really liked, because I couldn't handle the repetitive letters and conversations. To me, he's just a waste of space, and I can't get him to leave so he's annoying as all get out.

I sometimes hate on cats(because of real life experiences) and the frog trio(Jambette, Gigi, and Diva) but I never save my game when I do so. It never makes them move out.

Last edited:
I pretty much only hate Claudia for destroying my only purple rose and plotting her house RIGHT in front of the cafe, but that's about it. She's not the worst looking villager (pls remove Al from the game)

Last edited:
Sometimes, but i think its usually anger directed more towards them taking up room where a dreamie could be, or the person doesn't find their personality attractive, they landed on paths/hybrids & etc. Personally i hate mostly all of the jock villagers because i hate jocks and all of their designs are ugly as hell to me.
Before i knew that doing all that stuff doesn't really improve the chances of them leaving, i started being nice to them and that made them leave quicker lol. Me and my boyfriend always joke and say nintendo rigged the game to where the villagers you like the most are always the ones quickest to leave

I agree with this. I don't think it's all that bad when people harass villagers. I mean the choice is kinda up to them I guess. Some of the stuff they say when pushed into pitfalls is pretty funny so I don't see why nobody wouldn't want to try that out. I think it would be taken too far if people were actually doing these things to real life animals, now that's just morally wrong. It's good to give villagers a second chance, but there's just some villagers I absolutely cannot stand no matter how much I try to like them. It's kind of like real life - they'll be people who like you and people who won't. I don't think it's necessarily taken too far because all you can really do is hit them with a hammer, or a net or push them into a pitfall. They're programmed to react so the player can't really help how they react to it, even if the villager acts really sad about it they're programmed to say those things to make you feel pity. But I agree it's not nice to spread so much hatred but when it's NPC's it's not really all that bad.

Last edited:
I agree, I want Rasher out because he's ugly, and he's taking up a spot for one of my dreamies

People are always going to be immature so eh. My biggest problem with is that I don't get it. There's no benefit to it. They're not going to leave any earlier, so why bother.

There are villagers that I dislike, but I can just get them out considering how easy it is just to TT them out. No reason to get pissy over it. And if someone moving in on an unpleasant spot is a big problem, then maaaybe just maaybe you should consider plot resetting your mofos. Even like 10 min worth of resets can save your orchard.

Managing villagers isn't that hard either. You have 4 full days to prevent a move out, and move outs can happen about every 3 days. And just be careful when trading w/ towns w/ voids.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it's extra and a waste of time to hit them with bug nets or send them hate mail. I mean I have sent a hate mail to Hippeux in order to get him to move but he just replied back with a mail like he's so happy to receive my mail -_-' So now when I get a villager I dislike I just time-travel 2 days forward and 1 day back to get them out. Easy. Can be done in 10 minutes or less.

Ironically, if you send them hate mail and hit them with nets, they are less likely to leave than if you just outright ignore them (don't cite me on this though, but it's what I heard)

I did this once with Mathilda (hit her with a net) but she got all depressed and I FELT SO BAD, I know they're just pixels but I am a sensitive empathetic marshmallow so now I don't harass my villagers, I just let them live out their little lives until they move on to the next town >_>

Ever since the GameCube (Nintendo 64 version didn't have this option), you've been able to pester your villagers by hitting them with axes or nets, shoving them, and my favorite, putting them into pitfalls!! I like how in Wild World if you lock them in, and have one of your players just beat on them, shove them, etc, they'll refer to that player to the others as a "pest"! It's funny reading that about one of my players- yup, they're a pest! :p

i'd harass annalisa by burring a pitfall right infront of her every single day and when she came out i then bombarded her with net smacks to the face

HAHAHA, oh my gosh! Honestly, they're virtual, so I don't think it matters what people do to unwanted villagers. As long as they're not hitting my villagers, I couldn't care less.

Alright, thank you guys for your responses. Sorry for reading too deep into this and asking such a pretentious question. Maybe I shouldn't be playing ACNL at all. :\

Last edited:
I have felt bad in the past at how I'd treated certain villagers, but as said above here, they're taking up space where a dreamie could be.
Gigi was an original and she just seemed to hang around forever. She ended up being the last unwanted villager to get out and it took ages. I used to get so annoyed at just seeing her wander around, I was waiting on another villager in a cycle town and knew id miss out if she didn't leave soon.
Then one day she came to visit me randomly, as I must have had very high friendship with her, and she bought a fruit. Can't even remember what it was now. And she was saying I don't know if it's your sort of thing but thought you might like it.
Whatever it was about that made me feel so bad :( she was trying to be friendly and there I was wanting rid of her....
She asked to leave not long after and I now have all my dreamies though :)

and you need to be aware these virtual animals do not have any ''feelings''. sure they would say that they're sad when you dont talk to them for a long time blah blah blah but these animals do not have real feelings so hating them doesnt matter. they'll just forget about it at the end of the day and talk to you like nothing ever happened.

Back