• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Mafia Critique Thread

I honestly don't know. I'm usually asleep when everyone decides to get on you. But from what I've seen, you can get very emotional and heated, which usually never ends well.

I'm wondering how to improve on my scum play. I've only been scum twice, but I want to blend in more. How should I do so?

Don't be afraid to incriminate the most suspicious of your teammates if it's obvious their getting lynched soon. Don't do any weird 180s on reads or behavior (read on Hayden in reindeer mafia is a prime example), and know your town meta, but try to surpass it

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yes yes this 1000% more towards me, please tell me how I can just live past D1 for once in a blue moon.

You get overly emotional very early and that tends to make other people suspicious of you for your reactions. Don't be a pineapple head

Last edited:
Help - How to avoid people always killing me night 1 or 2? :mad:

Be a terrible town player so they won't want to kill you

Observe more on D1. Don't go being fierce and accusing as early as Day 1 because that will most likely make scum want to silence you. You could also be killed out of meta, and there's unfortunately nothing to do about that. Unless you want to be unpredictable.

Act townie but not townie enough to afford a NK, then later go full out and try to find scum easily.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I honestly don't know. I'm usually asleep when everyone decides to get on you. But from what I've seen, you can get very emotional and heated, which usually never ends well.

I'm wondering how to improve on my scum play. I've only been scum twice, but I want to blend in more. How should I do so?

In all honesty, you try way too hard as mafia. You're too apathetic as well, and you choose to make cases that seemingly aren't even showing scumtells in the first place.

ok serious question time

any tips for getting better reads as town? I feel incapable :L

Oh no be like me Natty, be an emotional ***** it gets you lynched D1 everytime

As of late, this applies to me too :(

My play style is usually pretty aggressive (I guess?) and involved - is there any way to avoid being a target to the mafia despite this? Besides being on the wrong track ofc

- - - Post Merge - - -

ok serious question time

Try looking as to why someone would say something. Are they trying to defect attention from themselves? Then they're prob blue or scum. Are they making filler posts and not scum hunting? Town would want to scum hunt so they're prob scum

As of late, this applies to me too :(

My play style is usually pretty aggressive (I guess?) and involved - is there any way to avoid being a target to the mafia despite this? Besides being on the wrong track ofc

- - - Post Merge - - -

Try looking as to why someone would say something. Are they trying to defect attention from themselves? Then they're prob blue or scum. Are they making filler posts and not scum hunting? Town would want to scum hunt so they're prob scum

I was literally killed over and over N1 by both town and scum because both were afraid of me back before I quit. It was actually one of the reasons I stopped playing mafia because I could never actually play at one point, even if I barely posted on D1. If people are gonna meta kill you, then they're gonna meta kill you. You just have to hope the doctor has the smarts to protect those that will help town later in the game and not waste it. Tbh I would say it's more harmful to town if you ARE silent on D1 even if you die N1 because then there's nothing to go off of. If your reads are horribly wrong, chances are most scum teams will let you live. If you're more on track, they gonna kill you, but that gives the rest of town something to go off of at least.

I will speak more about this involving the current game when it is over.

Be a terrible town player so they won't want to kill you

Observe more on D1. Don't go being fierce and accusing as early as Day 1 because that will most likely make scum want to silence you. You could also be killed out of meta, and there's unfortunately nothing to do about that. Unless you want to be unpredictable.

No don't do that. This is bad advice. Most of the people being N1'd are because of meta, so they're going to be killed regardless of how active/inactive they are. Those that are meta killed tend to be smarter and more intuitive players, so anything they can provide the town before their unavoidable death is good.

- - - Post Merge - - -

ok serious question time

Tbh I go back about 4 games on a player (by using the TBT mafia wiki) I feel is acting weird (if they've played before) and analyse how they acted when they were town and when they were scum. I have yet to meet a player on TBT that does not follow their meta every single game because there's always scum tells. People post quickly and slip. I can usually pick out similarities and then formulate a case based on that.

Then there's a good bit of reaction testing to see how they'll respond to that. I.e. OMGUS usually can signal probably scum and lots of anger and upset mostly is town.

New players are easier to reaction test simply because they don't have enough experience to respond to it if they're actually scum.

Last edited:
life is meaningless.

be like cory

what does this mean?
also how do i make longer posts?
I feel like i have nothing to say i see everyone else making longer posts
whats the secret?

what does this mean?
also how do i make longer posts?
I feel like i have nothing to say i see everyone else making longer posts
whats the secret?

If you thinking someone scummy, read all of their posts(isolate them). Then you could find something wrong with it that could be because they're scum. I try to pick one or two people to do this every day and night, but they take really long so I can slack on it sometimes. But if someone's scum, most of their posts should feel fabricated, so read all of them(or most of it).

If you thinking someone scummy, read all of their posts(isolate them). Then you could find something wrong with it that could be because they're scum. I try to pick one or two people to do this every day and night, but they take really long so I can slack on it sometimes. But if someone's scum, most of their posts should feel fabricated, so read all of them(or most of it).
Except if you read them in ISO, you lose context which can be very important ;)

Back