• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Professor Layton "Puzzle Master" Akira Tago passes away

NerdHouse

The Collector
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Yellow Pansy
Red Pansy
White Pansy
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
The man many considered to be the real life Professor Layton, Japanese psychologist and professor Akira Tago has passed away at the age of 90. Tago’s death resulted from interstitial pneumonia.

latest

Tago played a big role in the Professor Layton series, and he was even credited as “Puzzle Master” in the different games. His Atama no Taisou / Head Gymnastics book series, which went on to sell millions of copies, is what Level-5’s franchise is based around.

Source

This makes me sad for the series going forward. Tago's puzzles were amazingly well-crafted and genuinely challenging. Excuse me while I go replay all of the Professor Layton games I currently own, in his memory.

It's amazing how the death of someone you don't know in person can affect you. The Professor Layton series was one of my new favorite series since I played the Ace Attorney crossover. I finished that one and went on to gather the rest of the series. I'm only missing Miracle Mask now, I believe. I'm even more motivated to play them now.

RIP Akira Tago.

HatLayton.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I'm feeling it now
RIP Akira Tago, your puzzles are and will always be enjoyed by many

RIP Akira Tago. Thank you for all the puzzles you've shared to the world.

Really enjoying The Curious Village so far. This man was a genius. How did he think up some of these puzzles?!
I'm hooked.

RIP, thanks to him we had such a wonderful serie, which was one of my favorite with Ace Attorney. I played this serie for nearly 8 years, the puzzles are amazing.
It is making me want to replay all the serie.

Last edited:
Ahh that's a shame, I have one professor Layton game and I really enjoy the puzzles. RIP.

R.I.P. Akira. I love the games, I never heard of Phoenix until the crossover was released. i was too young to play layton when it first came out (i was 7) but my nanna introduced me to this in 2011. i fell in love with it since. I have the film, all the games except the spectre's call and the crossover (sold out), instead, i watch youtube walkthroughs so im not missing out. i have one question, why do people think layton and emmy get together and have kids? does it specify that emmy is kat's mother or is it fanfiction? i just think it's weird with the age gap. i know they're (layton and emmy) not real cousins but it feels wrong.

Back