• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Pokemon Super Bowl Ad

toadsworthy

Tangsworthy
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1777-6372-7112
White Star Fragment
Yellow Star Fragment
White Star Fragment
Yellow Star Fragment
White Star Fragment
Dreamy Party Popper
Christmas Gold Candy
Weird Doll
Christmas Gold Candy
New Year's Party Popper
Nintendo and Pokemon bought a 60 second ad to air during the super bowl, and have released the commercial already online. In case you haven't seen it
But why in the world would they spend so much money on literally the biggest possible TV advertisement to not have some big announcement in store?
The music also cuts out at the end.... so something else has to follow after what we see.

I think we are in store for some big info sunday!

Last edited:
There better be something worthwhile out of it because the ad sure as hell was disappointing.

There better be something worthwhile out of it because the ad sure as hell was disappointing.

I thought the ad was fine, I really wasn't expecting them to announce or reveal something at an American sporting event especially given their disgust of international fans (SHINY JIRACHI PLS).

That said if something happens one of ya'll better tweet or text me.

I'd imagine there will be since it costs 5 million dollars for a 30 second ad, and since this is over 60 seconds they are probably paying 8 figures for it. If that is really it for the ad, they may as well pour some gasoline over their profits and light a match.

I thought the ad was fine, I really wasn't expecting them to announce or reveal something at an American sporting event especially given their disgust of international fans (SHINY JIRACHI PLS).

That said if something happens one of ya'll better tweet or text me.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I don't think the ad is that bad, but it's just more like them paying homage to Pokemon. I was expecting something OTT and thrilling, kind of like a "this is how far we've come" type of thing and instead we got a "20 years of Pokemon! Yay! Bye." type of thing.

also I'm p sure I'm working sure the super bowl so RIP someone message me too LOL

i hope they give out a shadow mewtwo like the one in smash.... i already got the Mew from Gamestop...
I doubt they've patch "Shadow" Mewtwo into the game unless you mean a giveaway with a special moveset Mewtwo. Plus I doubt they'd do plain ol' Mewtwo since these are all event only Pokemon.

I'd imagine there will be since it costs 5 million dollars for a 30 second ad, and since this is over 60 seconds they are probably paying 8 figures for it. If that is really it for the ad, they may as well pour some gasoline over their profits and light a match.
They've got money to burn more than likely, what better way to ensure money flow other than celebrating their fans? Especially those who don't attend local leagues, state events, nationals, internationals etc.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I don't think the ad is that bad, but it's just more like them paying homage to Pokemon. I was expecting something OTT and thrilling, kind of like a "this is how far we've come" type of thing and instead we got a "20 years of Pokemon! Yay! Bye." type of thing.

also I'm p sure I'm working sure the super bowl so RIP someone message me too LOL
Well they can't really sit there and have video game footage play to an audience who mostly doesn't care. I think what they did is something that could easily appeal to the masses instead of saying hey look a game!

Well they can't really sit there and have video game footage play to an audience who mostly doesn't care. I think what they did is something that could easily appeal to the masses instead of saying hey look a game!

Oh. I'm not saying there should be a game reveal with gameplay footage at all. I'm just saying the ad could've been done better. I know they're not going to put a video game footage in the middle of the super bowl LOL.
I'm just saying it's a little disappointing and if there isn't any hint or teasing at the end of it then the ad is just plain boring to me!! Of course, if the ad had been done better it wouldn't need a reveal at the end because I'd already be satisfied.

I am with Red Cat though, I think something crazy is gonna be released... they wouldn't blow that much money just to say, "hey its 20th anniversary of pokemon" theres gotta be marketing for something that is gonna bring in cash-flow back for this. They have never paid so much for an advertisement or done a commercial like this ever... and they never made a mobile game like this before so I bet its related to Pokemon Go

I'm thinking given the real life mixing with pokemon stuff they are doing in the commercial means its at least the release date... plus who else likes mobile games more than americans lol!

I will write anything that happens on this post as soon as possible if I see it... knowing my luck i will probably be doing a takeout or some other work when it airs

I am with Red Cat though, I think something crazy is gonna be released... they wouldn't blow that much money just to say, "hey its 20th anniversary of pokemon" theres gotta be marketing for something that is gonna bring in cash-flow back for this. They have never paid so much for an advertisement or done a commercial like this ever... and they never made a mobile game like this before so I bet its related to Pokemon Go.

Yeah my bets on Pokemon go too. As soon as I saw the promo it reminded me of Pokemon go a lot so that's the game I expect them to showcase (which is unfortunate, I couldn't care less about it). Also makes more sense when you consider the BETA was meant to be out this month (and it isn't so either delay or they being sneaky)

I am with Red Cat though, I think something crazy is gonna be released... they wouldn't blow that much money just to say, "hey its 20th anniversary of pokemon" theres gotta be marketing for something that is gonna bring in cash-flow back for this. They have never paid so much for an advertisement or done a commercial like this ever... and they never made a mobile game like this before so I bet its related to Pokemon Go

I'm thinking given the real life mixing with pokemon stuff they are doing in the commercial means its at least the release date... plus who else likes mobile games more than americans lol!

I will write anything that happens on this post as soon as possible if I see it... knowing my luck i will probably be doing a takeout or some other work when it airs

I doubt it's Go related, they're going to be talking/showing it off at GDC. So unless it's Beta sign-ups, I doubt it's GO.

The ad in the Super Bowl won't be 60 seconds - they'll probably cut it.

I don't think the ad is specifically advertising anything, just the franchise - it's more of a reminder that "hey, pokemon still exists, it's turning 20, expect big things", and to put pokemon back on the mainstream map.

People who faithfully follow game blogs/serebii aren't the same audience as the people who watch the super bowl, but it's highly likely that the Super Bowl watchers will remember playing the original games and how big pokemon was in the 90s. so they might check it out what's new, and who knows? they buy a 3DS or sign up for GO. nostalgia is a powerful thing.

I don't think their intent is to announce the next big game.

Last edited:
Just saw the ad on YouTube, before my video started! :)
It has begun.

I think the commercial is stupid because like why spend all that money on a super bowl ad just to remind people its pokemons 20th anniversary?

I think the commercial is stupid because like why spend all that money on a super bowl ad just to remind people its pokemons 20th anniversary?

My thoughts exactly, the super bowl commercials are known for being suspenseful and jaw dropping too... So I would expect something along those lines, also it's really hard to get people who have been absent from the series to get back in.... I wouldn't buy a 3ds just because of a super bowl commercial

Although it sounds so nintendo to try to inspire that feeling you had from your youth in a commercial... But with how poor their sales and stuff with wii u, I don't think from a business standpoint they would blow that much money if they didn't think it was going to be generated back to them

I saw the video when it was first released and I just saw it aired for the Superbowl.

Even if it's not advertising anything it sure did make me feel proud to be a Pokemon trainer ;u; I grew up training and never quit!

It would be nice if something huge gets released though o:

yeah literally anti climactic! lol... but yes, it was cool to see it on the tv!

Back