• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Animal Crossing: The Movie Discussion

Am I the only one who dislike the movie.

It would appear so. I like this movie. Making a movie is like making a fine meal. The plot is the main ingredient, it's pretty good. There's a good mix between comedy and drama. This meal has a bit too much randomness. If I were a food critic and this were a fine meal, I'd give it four stars and write in my review "Too much salt" to say that there's too much randomness, like Hopper's fishing, but namely the aliens.

Last edited:
In reply to AccfSally; No, you're not the only one... sadly. Throughout this thread, you can find people saying they liked it as a child, but now they find it as a generic kids' film. I don't see it as a generic kids' film, even the two main characters are persumably kids. Part of this is why I think the "it's for kids" excuse is lame, overrated and dumb as f---

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I don't care what anyone says, I LOVE this movie! It's my favourite movie and I don't see why people hate on it. The randomness never bothered me (I fail to see how Hopper's fishing was bothering since it was funny) though I can see why people thought having aliens at the end was weird but even that didn't bother me. When you think about it, the games can be pretty random (if trading the Statue Of Liberty for a toilet isn't random to you then you need to see a doctor) so it'd make sense for the movie to be the same. At least the movie actually follows the games pretty accurately (unlike Super Mario Bros: The Movie) which is the big selling point for pretty much any video game movie. The animation in the movie is beautiful and still looks good nearly 11 years later. It had quite a few pretty funny moments as well such as Hopper's fishing scenes. The drama was also well-written and executed nicely too. The characters are all memorable and the movie introduced me to Rosie and Alfonso, who are some of my favourite villagers. I love the movie's music, it's some of my favourite in the entire series (even if they are renditions of Wild World's music). Also, I liked the English fandub. Sure, Sable's voice could've been more feminine and Celest's voice actress should've either been given a better microphone or not been too close to it but other than that I'd say that the English voices are actually BETTER than the Japanese voices. Alfonso's Italian (I think) accent in the English version fits FAR better than whatever accent he had in the Japanese one. Overall, I'd say this movie is an underrated masterpiece (when you really think about it, the only people who like it are Animal Crossing fans) and I'd give it a 9.8 out of 10. If only they made a sequel or an animated series and release/air it outside of Japan as well-- (see's posts around the forums saying that it would be too risky, should not be like the movie because they hated it or think that Beardo should be one of the main characters). All I have to say to those posts are inside this video:

Last edited:
I will admit, the movie had it's ups and downs. The A-I-O-U thing and the cherry pie metaphor were both super annoying. I was sad when Marcie moved away without telling her best friend. The alien thing didn't make any sense whatsoever, so I don't really know what to say about that, but it gave the movie a bit of comic relief. The main comic relief however is Hopper and his fishing. No matter how long he stays out there, he doesn't catch anything good.

I will admit, the movie had it's ups and downs. The A-I-O-U thing and the cherry pie metaphor were both super annoying. I was sad when Marcie moved away without telling her best friend. The alien thing didn't make any sense whatsoever, so I don't really know what to say about that, but it gave the movie a bit of comic relief. The main comic relief however is Hopper and his fishing. No matter how long he stays out there, he doesn't catch anything good.

It's actually a-e-i-o-u, which are all vowels. Also, I remember it only being said like twice in the Movie so it never bothered me.

Wow, I really thought I'd commented on this post! I guess not...

Anyway, I love this movie! It looks awesome and has a very memorable plot. It also meant the creation of animal crossing merch, so that's a bonus! The movie also introduced some awesome characters to me and it's just very nostalgic to me, maybe that's why I like it as much as I do.

Wow, I really thought I'd commented on this post! I guess not...

Anyway, I love this movie! It looks awesome and has a very memorable plot. It also meant the creation of animal crossing merch, so that's a bonus! The movie also introduced some awesome characters to me and it's just very nostalgic to me, maybe that's why I like it as much as I do.

I agree, though Animal Crossing merchandise has been around since the GCN games (Takara, known for the Choro Q toys and video game series, made figurines based on Doubutsu no Mori+ back in 2001. Doubutsu no Mori+ is the Japanese version of the GCN Animal Crossing). I think there were also some international merch as well, but I'm not so sure.

Back