• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Critique My Chicken Scratch

Albuns

Tough With All Dah Fluff
Bells
Jingle Christmas Doll
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Red Candy
Yellow Candy
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
People are fun to draw and all, but I don't think I'm making much progress there, so I wanted to move away from drawing humans and humanoids and go for something more basic.

And this happened:
Flower.jpg

Attachments

• Flower.jpg
    Flower.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
That's pretty cool! It's always good to try some different things sometimes ^ _ ^

Judging by the pic, I believe it's an observation/natural drawing? If positive i'd suggest you to try making the lineart less solid, mainly where there's more light, it helps building a more natural volume. Just suggesting cuz you said "critique" on the title haha, it's cool tho!

Good luck;

That's pretty cool! It's always good to try some different things sometimes ^ _ ^

Judging by the pic, I believe it's an observation/natural drawing? If positive i'd suggest you to try making the lineart less solid, mainly where there's more light, it helps building a more natural volume. Just suggesting cuz you said "critique" on the title haha, it's cool tho!

Good luck;

You can make the outline solid but then I wouldn't suggest shading the drawing at all and just doing an outline. This is because shading "fixes" the drawing and kinda hides the bad, without it you just have the lineart. That's at least how we did it at school (I go to an art school). If you're going to shade it has to look like it has no outline at all (well, depending on the object I guess?).
This is really good, though!

Good luck;

Yep! It was a still-life sketch that had been zoomed in a bit. And thanks, I'll take that into consideration next time I work shiny objects and lighting. c:

I love traditional art, its always nice to see an observational drawing.

Something to note about this drawing would be the shadows on the leaves and vase (?) on the right.
The light seems to be coming from the right side to the left, so the left sides should be darker, and the left side should be lighter.
You should also try blending the strokes! Just rub your finger pretty hard on the pencil and it will have a more natural look for drawings like this

keep it up

I love traditional art, its always nice to see an observational drawing.

Something to note about this drawing would be the shadows on the leaves and vase (?) on the right.
The light seems to be coming from the right side to the left, so the left sides should be darker, and the left side should be lighter.
You should also try blending the strokes! Just rub your finger pretty hard on the pencil and it will have a more natural look for drawings like this

keep it up

Don't you mean the left side should be darker and right lighter? xD I wanted to smudge it a bit, but I didn't think the teacher would let me... so ya. Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. :)

Try to do your best to hide the outlines. When you're doing realistic art, specifically still life, you don't want any outlines because... well... there aren't outlines in real life. The easiest way to go about this is make an area's "outline" the same level of darkness as it's shading level. Practicing shading would be good to help you along with this. Go get a roll of toilet paper, rip off a little chunk, and rub it against what you want to shade.

Back