City Folk is NOT Wild World

pika62221

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
After reading over and over how City Folk is Wild World, I just to point out how City Folk really is a mix between the previous console AND handheld versions. First, here's what director Aya Kyogoku had to say about City Folk in 2008 in the Iwata Asks segment.

Kyogoku: Now that Animal Crossing will be played once again on a TV screen, I think that people who first came into contact with Animal Crossing on the DS will find that there's a very different feel to this game. And then on the other hand, I think it will bring back fond memories for people who first played the game on the N64 or the GameCube. The titles in the Animal Crossing series start with the player working for Tom Nook, so there's that feeling of familiarity, while at the same time there are many things that are different and many fresh elements for the player to enjoy. I'd especially like the players to enjoy the animal's dialogue. We've really paid a lot of attention to detail, so as well as the regular conversation, I'd like the players to enjoy all the subtle reactions of the animals, some of which will come as a total surprise.

Source:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/accf/0/4

City Folk brought back real world holidays from the original. It brought back cliffs/ramps from the original. It brought back individual houses for players from the original. It brought back the fountain from the original. It brought back the Reset Center (originally from e+), that was absent in Wild World. It also brought back villagers tied to holidays such as Jingle, Franklin, etc that were left out of Wild World (no real holidays, no special villagers). Those who are adamant that they're the "same game" really didn't play Wild World and the original that much, as they'd see exactly what Kyogoku was saying- they wanted a feel of the prior games, THAT is why IGN said it best when saying City Folk is a "blending of the GameCube and DS games"- there's FAR too much from the original to just lump it in and say it's from Wild World- NO, IT'S NOT!

Take the gold axe as further proof. You had to do a ridiculous amount of trading with special villagers to get the lucky item you needed to continue (their picture was the other item), until you finally got that gold axe. How did you get the gold axe in the original? From Farley. Where did Farley live? In the tree AT THE FOUNTAIN- you get the gold axe from Serena in City Folk, and she lived where? Next to the bus stop, IN THE FOUNTAIN. See? They brought back elements from the original, NOT just porting the exact same game. Now, I'm not saying there's a lot of similarities, yes, City Folk uses Wild Word's soundtrack, and has a majority of the same things setup the same way as Wild World, but there's just too many additions from Animal Crossing that return to truly say this game is a true port, as it's been merged with the original- a good 20% just from what I've noted already in this. Give it the roughly 10% new content with the city, Labelle, Kicks, Phineas, Nat, etc, and that gives it 70% Wild World.

IGN called it the right thing saying it's a "blended version" of the first two. That's what Kyogoku also said. That's what I pointed out here as well. That's what fans need to be calling it, not this bias statement of a "Wild World port", but a blended game of Animal Crossing GameCube and Wild World. It's returned too many things from Animal Crossing/e+ to be called a port of a game that removed them from the series!

I've been trying to say that its not a rehash of WW too, but everyone keeps saying it is.

It has brought back many villagers that weren't in WW. Grizzly is a good example.

Also, it introduced at least one new villager ( Carmen ) , introduced PRO designs, brought back a few of the holidays from the other versions, introduced Festival and Bunny Day, and had more customization, such as what kind of Nook store you can have, the aforementioned PRO designs, and the town fund.

I'm still not sure why everyone hates it besides "its a rehash", "theres grass wear", "the city's a gimmick", and "its on a console and it isn't portable".

It's similar, but different. Yeah there's the city, and they brought back holiday celebrations, but overall it's pretty much the same game with just some added features that no one really cared about, compared to New Leaf which added a ton of features that people wanted. I still like the game though.

I gotta say that Wild World sucked in so many ways. I Don't understand why some people would choose WW over City Folk. I loved ACCF and I hated WW so much.

I gotta say that Wild World sucked in so many ways. I Don't understand why some people would choose WW over City Folk. I loved ACCF and I hated WW so much.

You're not alone...
Tbh i liked CF waaaay more than WW, like wtf?! Nonsense holidays replaced good holidays

You're not alone...
Tbh i liked CF waaaay more than WW, like wtf?! Nonsense holidays replaced good holidays

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I only like WW because it's handheld and the only WW event I liked was flower fest.
After that I got bored of it because the holidays like Halloween, Christmas etc weren't in it.

To add if those WW only Holidays were good enough Nintendo might've put them back in the newer games..but did they, nope.

Last edited:

Same here, City Folk is WAY better.

Also, love your signature. Mako (Think that's correct spelling) Mermaids? xD

I really like Let's Go to the City, but my problem with it is that it doesn't really offer that much new, original content to the table. The only thing that was really a new concept in LGTTC was the city, but there's really not a lot you can do there, unless you're rich and have an internet connection and friends to use the auction house. The rest was really just a rehash of all the other games before it.

FINALLY!! Someone who also thinks that City Folk (I'm just going to call it that since Let's Go to the City is a mouthful) is a good game. Sure, it re-used locations and music but that was because it was meant to be the home version of the second generation Animal Crossing games. If they changed the game too much then it could've been an entirely new generation all together which would mean that generation 2 would only have 1 game which would be Wild World. I really like the rounded character models and simplistic graphics in the game. This game has my favourite style in the series (New Leaf's style was pretty good, but I kinda miss the curve at the bottom of the player and cat head models). Not to mention that it also bought back holidays such as Toy Day and Halloween which were mysteriously absent from Wild World despite the fact that the DS and the game's cartridge had enough capacity to have holidays. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the Wild World fanboys extremely irritating. They are the scum of the series' fanbase in my opinion and you wouldn't want to know how many I have seen and how obnoxious they can get (to the point of hating every game in the series except for Wild World which they claim is the best game of all time). Don't get me started on when they think that Wild World is the first in the series since it was the first Animal Crossing game they played and know nothing about the series' history. Heck, even the movie was better and that was based on Wild World (not that the movie is bad. Hell no, in fact it's my favourite movie of all time and I think it's brilliant). I think Wild World is good, but gets way too much credit and it's a little overrated (yes, I just used that word even though I absolutely hate that word. Call me a hypocrite but I don't care). OK, enough rambling. I just wasted so much energy on bashing the game's fanbase to itsy bitsy pieces. I expect a lot of hate after posting this but I don't give a crap.

Back