• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

David Bowie dead at 69

man, what a legend.
we love you david bowie, rest in peace. :(

i'll always remember you as my goblin king.

i honestly couldn't believe it at first ): all of his music is wonderful but space oddity has a special place in my heart

rip david bowie ♥

yeah i learned the news this morning :c

it's pretty sad, i really owe his last album a listen.

RIP David Bowie

Went to sleep with the news David Bowie has died of Cancer at age 69.

Devastated, loved the guy. My Fianc?e burst into tears.

Thing is it's being rumored his new album has him singing his epitaph:
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/music/video/david-bowie-sings-his-own-epitaph/vi-CCnnTd?ocid=SL5MDHP

Kind of an amazing thing for him to do for his fans, not only try to 'hide' his cancer so we wouldn't worry about him but to give us all a final "Fairwell" when he knew it was too late.

Loved him, especially as the goblin king

His "Farewell" song 'I'm in Heaven' was amazing..

Wow man, takes me back to high school days when I listened to his things the most. And also more recent when I watched films with his music is, like Christiane F. and Breaking the waves.. ugh.

heh heh 69
i dont understand why people mourn celebrity losses, you don't know them personally.

I am definitely sad about David Bowie dying because I am a big fan, but it is different than if my best friend died of course, but there is still a valid reason to be sad. I never met him but I think people can in some way know a musician through their music because making art such as music and writing is a personal creation that they have shared with others. It is also sad to know that they will no longer make more music and we can never see them perform. And regardless, it is still very normal to feel sad when strangers die. I get terribly sad when I hear about animals dying in the news even though they are not animals that I know.

You ever listen to music that resonates with your soul? You ever hear something so beautiful, or so close to what you're feeling, that you can't do anything but continue to listen? That's....sort of what David Bowie was for me. He was an artist, and definitely one of my favorites. I'm very sad about this.

He had some decent music but questionable morals to be perfectly honest. Also accused of various things that some of his fans would be very angry about me bringing up. I personally feel like if he wasn't a famous musician, he would be widely hated among his peers.

what a sad day, tonight I'm gonna pour some out for the goblin king

I think a lot of his actions have definitely been swept under the rug and people should talk about them, but there's no denying the man was a legend and has influenced music as we know it today.

His work in the Labyrinth is what I know, he was a really chill actor, sad to see he's gone.

personally, im more upset about jeanne cordova dying today than david bowie. jeanne was a huge lgbt activist in the community. yeah yeah he was an lgbt icon or something but im kind of disgusted by his crimes. idc about his alleged racism whatever people change but the other one im not willing to even let pass. that's very depressing for me to think he even did that.

i get why people are mourning him but.. i just lost my sympathy for him after i read what he did a while ago. im not looking to argue with people about what he did (you can vm me or something if you're curious)

- - - Post Merge - - -

He had some decent music but questionable morals to be perfectly honest. Also accused of various things that some of his fans would be very angry about me bringing up. I personally feel like if he wasn't a famous musician, he would be widely hated among his peers.

yeah thats honestly how i feel about him. hes famous so thats why people are mourning but any other guy who died and did the same stuff as him wouldve been mocked at their funeral

Last edited:

well it's one thing to be accused and it's another thing to actually be guilty of what they were accused of doing. understandable people would jump to protect his image kinda like how people jumped to protect bill cosby.

What are people saying he did? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

There was this in the 70's.

There's a lot of back and forth as far as his beliefs and morals stood. He'd say something in '69 (IE: Relationship with Mick Jagger) and then turn around a few years later and call himself out on it. A lot of it all had to do with a tremendous amount of pressure + cocaine (because 1970's were the time for that.)

There were numerous accusations of other things, such as the post above mine. Nothing was really proven though. Honestly, wouldn't surprise me. It wasn't unusual for the era. Bowie's not got a clean slate in the least, but it's mostly his own back and forth in interviews that gave a really confusing perspective into who he is/was.

Guy was a guy with an eccentric personality. Easy as that.

It was confirmed by his producer that his last album was indeed a goodbye of sorts. No one knew he had cancer except for his immediate family and his close business partners (such as his producer).

Since he passed, a lot of obscure things have been popping up about him. I'll detail 2 of them.

First, he was in a video game called Omikron: The Nomad Soul which released on The Dreamcast and PC in 1999. Bowie, who had some input on the storyline and game's design, makes two cameo appearances within the game, although not as himself; first as Boz, a game character who's a revolutionary wanted by authorities, and secondly as the nameless lead-singer of the fictional musical group, "The Dreamers", who perform illegal concerts in Omikron.

Video:

You can find the game on Steam if you are interested, for $9.99.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/243000

Second, back in 2004, author Neil Gaiman and Yoshiitaka Amano (the legendary Final Fantasy illustrator) collaborated on a story called The Thin White Duke, a sci-fi reimagining of one of David Bowie's personas of the same name. In a recent interview with the Chicago Tribune, Gaiman explains the the story was written in two parts, with the first part featuring Amano's illustrations.

"It was written in two parts. I finished it for this book, but the first part was with artist Yoshiitaka Amano, who was commissioned to do pictures for a magazine called V. His images were Bowie and (Bowie?s wife, the model) Iman as sci-fi characters. Then I was asked to write a story, so it became about Bowie and Iman in this future New York." ? Neil Gaiman

Artwork in the spoiler below.

prYty93.jpg

z9vo37T.png

UjpBR8T.png

FJbjZOi.png

6mzSDD0.png

YtuJp0W.png

Bowie did a lot of questionable things, but it was a very brief period. He probably didn't even know the names of half the girls he slept with, never mind their ages. I don't personally believe he did anything of that sort, though. He used to be very chaotic, psychologically. He was on hard drugs and he always used to say he can't remember much about the production process of any of the albums he made during that period of his life.

People also try to drag him down for being a supporter of fascism, which he did say he was at one point, but he thinks he was deranged back then and he doesn't agree with a lot of what he says, which I suppose is why he didn't like doing interviews very much. He was a wonderful father and a loving husband, and I miss him for that alone, putting aside how great he was as an artist.

Last edited:
Back