• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

amiibo Festival This game sucks Grunkle Stanus's Anus

Happy Home Designer doesn't need amiibo cards to play properly, you get random villagers as you progress. Amiibo cards are just for if you want specific villagers right then and there.

Amiibo Festival only requires one amiibo to play, and it's bundled with two, as well as three amiibo cards. All players without amiibo are allowed to play as villagers.

In the two amiibo games they have, the extra amiibo are optional and not necessary to play the game.

To be honest, HHD wasn't that bad at first. After you do a few homes, though, it starts to get more and more boring.
Amiibo Festival is a disgrace, in my opinion.

Last edited:
To be honest, HHD wasn't that bad at first. After you do a few homes, though, it starts to get more and more boring.
Amiibo Festival is a disgrace, in my opinion.

^ Basically this. I agree :/
I'm glad I never purchased AF and HHD becomes repetitive real quick.. though designing the buildings were fun ♡

IMO Nintendo didn't even need to create any spin-offs of AC. Nobody even really asked for them. The fanbase was pretty calm and chill until this <.< Now everyone is demanding an AC WiiU game (which I have no complaints for).

I wouldn't have a problem with HHD if they didn't price it like a full game. I feel bad for kids who might not read up on what's coming out, see a new AC game on the shelf, and buy it thinking they're getting a full game.

I don't know anything about AF because I know a cash cow when I see one so I haven't bothered with it.

*shrugs* Idk, I don't see the point in paying $35-45 for filler content. If spin offs were priced like spin offs then "yay, new content!" would be a valid enough reason to be happy about it, but a mini game priced as a full is reason enough to snark IMO.

I absolutely agree. When word first got out about Happy Home Designer, I thought it was going to be DLC or something (which would have been pretty sweet imo, if they could have worked that out) and... it turns out that DLC is exactly what it feels like, to me. For that price, that's ridiculous; it would have been fine if it was half the price of full games, but it (and Amiibo Festival, let's be real) just feels like a money-grab at this point. No thank you.

My problem with AC spin offs is mostly that there's so few main games and so to me it seems that AC has always had very solid games released with reasonable distance between them. None of them seem to have been rushed/released just for cashgrab/released to keep interest. And now we suddenly have 2 spin offs released within half a year, one that is fair enough and one that is just bad. So yeah, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. Wouldn't have been so bad if the spin offs were good, but eh, neither of them are all that good at all, certainly not worth the price they ask for them.

Last edited:
pls take your annoying whining elsewhere pls and ty <3

Last edited:
It's just a few small and decently entertaining games. I think you're taking it a little seriously, so I'd tone down the expectations. If you hate them so much, you'd probably be better off opting out of purchasing them and waiting for later titles.

I can guarantee there will be bigger games for the series in the future, but this is better than nothing. It's content and content is good.

It's just a few small and decently entertaining games. I think you're taking it a little seriously, so I'd tone down the expectations. If you hate them so much, you'd probably be better off opting out of purchasing them and waiting for later titles.

I can guarantee there will be bigger games for the series in the future, but this is better than nothing. It's content and content is good.

i agree with you. i haven't bought the board game yet, but i did buy hhd. it's a decent game and tons of fun when i don't have a lot of time to really do anything. i've clocked about 200 hours into it and still enjoying it at least a bit. for $40 that is totally worth it to me and then some.

I'm happy to have more AC related games, I love this series so much I even registered on a game-related forum.

Happy Home Designer might not have content to be played 4hr+ a day, but enjoying building 1-2 houses a day for over a year is very much worth it.

Amiibo Festival is a really fun board game where you play the life of NPCs with your friends and family. Really adorable to play with kids (at heart, too).

i agree with you. i haven't bought the board game yet, but i did buy hhd. it's a decent game and tons of fun when i don't have a lot of time to really do anything. i've clocked about 200 hours into it and still enjoying it at least a bit. for $40 that is totally worth it to me and then some.
Yeah, I think so too. I'd vouch for HHD in a second. It completely revamped the furnishing system and it's a really nice asset if you've ever wanted to exhaust the creative aspect of the Animal Crossing games.

It's a little difficult to do that when you acquire one piece at a time and can only mentally visualize how it'll look, so at the very least, Happy Home Designer is a really nice tool to help you design future rooms if you can afford it.

to be fair HHD is actually pretty good, not a lazy spinoff at all.
dunno about that amiibo **** though dont have a wii u

I haven't played Amiibo Festival because I don't have a Wii U, but I watched a couple of Let's Plays of it and thought "Hmmm, this doesn't look that bad, maybe I judged it too quickly when I watched the trailer." Then I watched this other video from someone who hates Amiibo Festival and found out that all you do is slap the amiibo on the game pad then watch the screen. That's literally all you do. Guess I was right when I watched the trailer.

I wouldn't call either game mediocre. I think peoples' problems with either game is that they're not New Animal Crossing Wii U/3DS, but they were never meant to be. They're completely different games. Personally, I haven't been able to hardly keep Happy Home Designer down since I got it.

Same with me, HHD feels more like Animal Crossing: Nook's Decorator, than Animal Crossing: Buy All Our Amiibos Just To Play. The way they tailored HHD where you don't need the cards, the decorating aspect was one I've loved since 2002, so making a game entirely of decorating? YES, PLEASE!! I won't say I hate AF, because I don't, what I hate is how they're making you buy more amiibo, because the Wii U isn't selling. It isn't like it's a choice either, you can't even freaking start the game without tapping an amiibo to the pad!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Happy Home Designer doesn't need amiibo cards to play properly, you get random villagers as you progress. Amiibo cards are just for if you want specific villagers right then and there.

Amiibo Festival only requires one amiibo to play, and it's bundled with two, as well as three amiibo cards. All players without amiibo are allowed to play as villagers.

In the two amiibo games they have, the extra amiibo are optional and not necessary to play the game.

Not true, there are mini-games in AF that require 6 cards, so you HAVE to buy at least one pack of cards to play it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Not true, there are mini-games in AF that require 6 cards, so you HAVE to buy at least one pack of cards to play it.

Am I the only person who likes Amiibo Crossing? I think it's super cute and it's a good game to play with friends if you and your friends need a chill game to play. Idk it calms me down when I'm upset or in a panicy mood so I love it because of that. It helps that I collect Amiibos so I have all of them to mess with in that game save most of the cards.

I can't speak for Amiibo Festival, but I hate HHD. I hate decoration games in general. I'll play it if it's on the side and I can make a cozy den for my character, I love that, but if a game is ?20-40 for "Oh. That's a nice couch. Let me place it in your house for you."
I can't stand it. To be fair, though, I just don't like it that much, they both look good to me. Just a little too price-y.

Am I the only person who likes Amiibo Crossing? I think it's super cute and it's a good game to play with friends if you and your friends need a chill game to play. Idk it calms me down when I'm upset or in a panicy mood so I love it because of that. It helps that I collect Amiibos so I have all of them to mess with in that game save most of the cards.

I think it takes a special kind of person to love it. I like Amiibo Festival (probably should be called Amiibo Crossing), but I also like the luck-based board games too, because no two games are ever the same- your dice rolls are so random that you'll never know what you're going to roll. I love board games, I love Animal Crossing, so I should love Amiibo Festival- in theory I do, but it seems like the way they do it like in Amiibo Party of Mario Party 10 where you have to tap the amiibo every time to move is a bit tedious, and really redundant, and can be a chore when playing alone, watching the computer 3 dominate you turn after turn after turn is a major turn off. It kind of has to be viewed as a board game though, they all suck alone (Solitaire isn't a board game), but can all be quite fun when playing with others simply for the interaction you get with other people. That interaction is what AF has, you play this with people, and no matter who wins, it turns out to be quite fun as one person in the lead all game ends up losing on the final round- most don't expect that. They nailed it with the that aspect, but really swung-and-missed with so many others is why I think it's viewed so negatively. One plus in so many minuses turns so many off. Topping it off there is no other AC game for Wii U, telling a lot of fans they really don't care about putting one on Wii U given it's a 4 year old system this November, and NX is right around the corner.

I enjoy HHD, although it can get repetitive. I usually play it almost weekly.

Amiibo Festival, though, I've only played once. I don't think it's a bad game, but I'm having a hard time trying to get back to it.

it takes a special type of idiot to get disgusted over an animal crossing game

Back