• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I don't understand something about the new Anti-Bump rule

King Dorado

you can do anything
Bells
Rebel Gnome
Fossil Easter Egg
Ladybug Easter Egg
Paradise Planning Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Fossil Easter Egg
Classic Easter Egg
Togepi Easter Egg
Waluigi Easter Egg
Yoshi Easter Egg
what about users who didnt start the thread? can they still make bump posts?? and is there any restrictions on how frequently non OP users bump the threads???

:confused:

i saw you ask about this, only to have it overlooked. this is an important question.

I'm just wondering what prompted the change... 4 hours seems harsh to me

probably people who bump their thread constantly while they've been on the first page the entire time.

probably people who bump their thread constantly while they've been on the first page the entire time.

The original rule was every hour. And I see threads like that that blow up so it still doesn't make sense to me. Especially since the search is horrible

I'm not sure, obviously, I'm not a mod or anything, but I think it's *all* bumps, whether original poster or friendly bumps. That's how the rule read to me, at least.

I'm not sure, obviously, I'm not a mod or anything, but I think it's *all* bumps, whether original poster or friendly bumps. That's how the rule read to me, at least.

This ^. Rule applies no matter who posts it, a bump is a bump.

This ^. Rule applies no matter who posts it, a bump is a bump.

ok, that could be made more clear, as the rule only refers to "you" bumping "your thread."

If it applies to everyone, does that mean nobody can bump the thread for 4 hours; or just that any individual who bumps it must wait an hour before doing so again?

Last edited:
ok, that could be made more clear, as the rule only refers to "you" bumping "your thread."

If it applies to everyone, does that mean nobody can bump the thread for 4 hours; or just that any individual who bumps it must wait an hour before doing so again?

First option is correct, there must be at least four hours between bump posts regardless of who posted them. That being said if you actually have something to contribute to that thread then of course you can post within the 4 hours, it's just there has to be a 4 hour gap between the last post and when a 'bump' post is made (and 8 in amiibo card trading).

(I'm going to assume this counts)
But does posting "Good luck on selling/buying/etc -type message here" count as a bump? o:

Or will only messages that says or includes "Bump" count as a bump?

Last edited:
(I'm going to assume this counts)
But does posting "Good luck on selling/buying/etc -type message here" count as a bump? o:

Or will only messages that says or includes "Bump" count as a bump?
Pretty much. If the post has the intent of just bumping the thread (which a lot of those kinds of posts do) then yes. I'm sure there's some borderline exceptions so don't be so worried.

Wait, what new anti-bump rule? I've never heard of this before ;-;
It's not an 'anti-bump' rule. It's just clarifying and founding a uniform rule across the forums in regards to bumping. Bumping rules have always been present they have just been really vague and inconsistent in the past and thus hard to enforce.

personally, I hate this rule. What if it's a sub-forum like the TBT marketspace? The first page usually gets overwritten in 2 hours.

oh, I never thought of that! I don't hate this rule then, but it should be reduced to 2 hours ╰(◡‿◡✿╰) .

As Murray pointed out earlier, this isn't entirely new. For example, the Villager trading board has had a 2 hour rule in place since the very beginning. And the Re-Tail board has said only once or twice a day for years. Obviously these rules were very inconsistent and rarely followed or enforced, so that's what we're fixing here.

We have set the limit to 4 hours, but that doesn't mean it can't be changed later after we see the effect of it. But I would ask you to keep an open mind to it for now and see how it turns out. It is worth noting that part of the reason threads fell off the main page so fast was due to the lack of any bumping rule/enforcement. It's a problem created by itself essentially. A longer limit is more fair to everyone really; you're not disadvantaged somehow just because you're not sitting on your thread bumping it every half an hour.

As to the original question of the thread, I honestly didn't really think of this myself when writing the rule so the phrasing may be poor. However I think it is only fair if we include everyone, not just the original poster, or we're basically rewarding people who have their friends spam their thread for them. That doesn't sound very fair to me.

That's a good reason as well. I understand the need for bumping, but it's getting a bit ridiculous if your thread is still on the first page.

do people have to wait 4 hours after a regular post before making a bump??

or do people only have to wait 4 hours to bump if the last post made was a bump?

Last edited:
Back