• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

amiibo Festival Anyone else love this game?

It is definitely for the die hard fans of Animal Crossing but playing this with friends I have to say its actually really fun, especially when I stream this on twitch. Anyone else having similar experiences?

I'm DEFINITELY one who loves it. :D

When I first saw this displayed at E3 2015, I was initially disappointed because I kept telling all my Animal Crossing friends that Animal Crossing on Wii U WILL come out THIS year at E3.
And I was right but not in the way I thought.
When I saw Isabelle come out of that train station, I was ECSTATIC!!
Then I saw the board game tiles on the ground & I was like "Aw man". :(

However, it didn't take long for me to get over my disappointment.
I quickly realized that both this game amiibo Festival & Happy Home Designer on 3DS was Nintendo's way of saying that Animal Crossing is not just a high-level franchise for them but a TOP-level franchise.
A franchise that can branch out & sell games on the power of the series.
Animal Crossing is NOW a franchise on the level of Mario, Zelda, & Pok?mon.
As if that beautiful Animal Crossing track in Mario Kart 8 wasn't proof enough.

Not long after that I saw a few snippets of Happy Home Designer in action & realized that not only was Nintendo promoting Animal Crossing to the top of echelon...
...but they were ALSO using BOTH of these games as clues to how the mainline Animal Crossing on Wii U will be.
I got even HAPPIER when I discovered that!! :D

So I was on board for release & when I played the game it was everything I thought it would be & more.
It REALLY IS the game of Animal Crossing in a board game format.
They totally captured the spirit of these games in amiibo Festival.
It's just as laidback, relaxing, & pressure-free as the main games.
And that encourages me to play it more. I even have fun playing it single player.

The town tree grows just like in the main game of New Leaf.
The towns are randomly generated just like the regular games.
You can move villagers in & add public works.
It has a real time aspect that matches the calendar & you see it in every cutscene.
The villagers walk around town & do random activities.
The town grass & trees slowly change with the progression of the month.
You hear season-appropriate bugs throughout the month.
The music even shifts when the rain & snow fall.
It still has the special events & the random special visitors all acting in character through the gameplay.
Redd's a crook so he charges you, Katie a cute little girl so she plays with you, Katrina a mystic so she's mysterious, Dr. Shrunk is a cornball so he's...um...corny.
I even love tapping the amiibos to the sensor like a playing piece on a board game.
Loves how it makes use of the amiibo cards too.

The more I play it, the more I love it.
Just like the main games.
And I love the extra modes in the game too.
The reviewers are full of garbage on this game.
This game is good & it's so good I even like watching Let's Plays of it on YouTube.

Let 'em hate. I'm having fun with this game. It's exactly what I thought it would be & a little more. :)
John Lucas

P.S.: And yes I love the amiibos too. Had to get my boys Totakeke & Tom Nook if NOTHING else.
Waiting on Mr. Resetti next along with Sable, Label (Labelle), & the pelicans Pelly, Phyllis & Pete.
Oh & Tortimer too of course. And Kapp'n! And Lyle! So many to get.

Last edited:
I am a die hard animal crossing fan but sometimes it does get boring if I dont land on spots that do anything haha. But Im sure any would say so I think. I love to play and see the different things that happen.

I am a die hard animal crossing fan but sometimes it does get boring if I dont land on spots that do anything haha. But Im sure any would say so I think. I love to play and see the different things that happen.

Hey you ever got caught with your pants down on the turnip game?
So many times I bought big on Sunday then the market crashed or closed or something.
And doggone Sow Joan when she shows up in the middle of the week depressed.
It hasn't happened to me yet (thank goodness!) but I saw her take a computer player's turnips down to 0 after he bought tens of them. Towards the end of the month!
She said she accidentally sold him rotten turnips & just like that *POOF* they were gone!
I woulda been MAAAAAAAAAAAD.

I'm very cautious now when I buy them. I don't always go all in anymore.
Got sucker-punched too many times on that deal so I know better now.

Yes I know what you mean when you keep throwing bad rolls & landing on bad spots.
That's what makes the turnip game so good.
Sometimes it's BEST to land on a bad spot with a high turnip price.
I love that kind of strategy.

Some people hate the randomness of this game but I love it.
It's really like a good old fashioned board game except nobody gets to mark the chance cards.

John Lucas

Last edited:
I have played the board game several times with my husband and it seems like the game is rigged for Isabelle to win. We switch amiibos sometimes but Isabelle beats Digby no matter what.

Isabelle won when I played all girls abunch of times. Same went with Nook when it was all Boys.
Last night I played Cyrus/Reese VS Lottie/Digby. The married couple won and Digby came in last.

I've been playing by myself and love it. Usually pick 30 and than add more minutes.
Favorite part is watching the villagers laughing, lounging or fishing. One thing I wished we could do is fish. Game is just picking the winner.

I was worried about the cards getting ruined. Not sure why we have to keep switching them for some of the games. Once you pick them the controller could take over.
To fix the problem I loaded the house from HHD and than got the doubles from my stash.
No mixing up HHD cards with this game.

Last edited:
Big key is with friends, trying it alone with an AI isn't going to be as fun since you can't talk to them as you all play. It's the interaction in the game and outside the game that's insanely fun. I mean it's a board game, played on your tv with the playing pieces being amiibo. Plain and simple. Don't expect or compare it to other Animal Crossing games, it's entirely different. That's why so many are hating it, they're wanting Wii U AC, and we may not get it, so instead of throwing a hissy fit, and burning the amiibo, and blending the disc (I saw the youtube video), don't play it, but don't buy it then act like it's garbage. If you don't like it, sell it, don't destroy it. I in fact LOVE board games, it's what we did in the 70's and 80's for fun before video games took over the livingroom.

I really enjoy Amiibo Festival. It's fun and relaxing, and one of the only video games I've ever gotten my mother to play with me.

My mom uses the Lottie figurine, I use Digby, and it's an enjoyable way to spend and evening together.

We both miss the era of board games, and had to get rid of most of ours after they were damaged by basement flooding. So, now we've gotten ourselves a video-board-game and caught up with the modern times.

It helps that we both love the adorable randomized scenarios, and we're both cautious about the stalk market. When playing with friends and family, I think it goes best when everyone has similar/matching play styles.

It's so fun and cute. Like, my depression goes back to the depths of hell where it belongs whenever I play.

I like it but, like you said, it seems like it's more catered towards die hard Animal Crossing fans.

i am a die hard AC fan lol i got a calander for christmas and decorated my DS with the stickers i got along with it :p and plus i want it so badly i will kill for a Wii U... sadly i would have to kill my mother because she is against the Wii U

EDIT: I might be getting a Wii U if my grades are good...SO PUMPED.... HYPE TRAIN WOOT WOOT

Last edited:
I haven't played the game before yet, so we'll see when I get there.

I got it for Christmas and I actually really like it. Me and my partner are constantly playing it. I'm not sure I would enjoy it so much if I was playing by myself though.

Last edited:
My family loves to play this together, and its Animal Crossing. Not much more I could ask for! :)

I got the game a few days ago and I'm having fun playing by myself trying to unlock all the outfits/emoticons (for 8 characters) Anyone know what the max level is and how many happy points do you need to get there?

I unlocked the town editor but reset my save file because I thought I put the campsite in an empty spot but it ended up being right behind the town hall... -__-

Anyway I'm enjoying the game way more than I thought I would. If I played it in 2015 it would've been my "game of the year" :eek:

Last edited:
Just had our first game of this tonight (just the board game)... myself, my husband and our two boys aged 11 and 8... took us 2 hours to get around the board, but it was great fun!!!

I really wish i had this game... my mom wont allow me to get a wii u because of the controller.... i really want to convince her because all i can do with my AC amiibos right now is just use them for HHD

I really wish i had this game... my mom wont allow me to get a wii u because of the controller.... i really want to convince her because all i can do with my AC amiibos right now is just use them for HHD

Which controller? GamePad? Pro Controller? Wii Motion Plus? There's no problem with any of them but maybe Wii Motion Plus would be a little trickier for learning controls.

This is the most relaxing party game ever. It's very luck based so family and friends can never get too angry at each other when things go wrong and someone loses. The pace is leisurely, the characters are cute, gameplay is simple. It's exactly what I expected for this franchise :)

I'm really salty that this game got such bad reviews by people thinking this was going to be a different kind of game. Me and my friends always play on Fridays after a really intense round of smash (or even mario party lol) and it's such a great way to unwind!

(I think the most angry we've gotten is when one friend landed on a spot that gave her 98,000 bells or something, needless to say, she won lol)

Back