• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

amiibo Festival General info guide: amiibo card tricks, and town building

Kaede

Invisible mode on
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
So I just started to figure out how this game works, and the great importance to having a stack of amiibo cards to go along with the game.

First off, there is absolutely a strategy to how you play this game, and it involves moving in villagers, and asking for their assistance during the game.

On the top left corner of each card, there is a number which you can use to help sway the dice roll in favor of hitting that number. What it does is the villager will come out and roll a special die that doubles your chances of getting the roll you want.
You can only do this with villagers you moved into your town, so plan well!

My villagers right now are: Punchy (6), Stitches (6), Diana (5), Fauna (5), Rosie (4), Ankha (3), Bunnie (2), and Tia (1).

You can only have 8 villagers in your town max, and it will randomly cycle which one will host a board game at the time. The villager that hosts will not be able to help you with dice rolls, which eliminates one of your chances.

I have come to find now that having a set of 1-6 villagers is pretty nessecery, and you can have 2 backups that are duplicates for when you lose one as a host.
For my spread, if either Stitches, Punchy, Fauna or Diana host, I'll have a backup.
If someone else I don't have a backup for winds up hosting, I have decided it's easier to just reset the board at the start of the game to make sure the right animal hosts.

So the main way you win the game is most happy points, right?
The best way to do this is by hitting each of the 4 gyroids in the corner, and filling your passbook.
The number you get increases with each one in this order: 5pts, 10pts, 15pts, and then 30pts.
You can only hit each gyroid once, until you have a full passbook, then you can get an additional 5 from each one you pass again!
This really helps out on oposite day when you pass by a gyriod, run backwards through him, get another 5, then go forward past him again for another 5.

Also, keep in mind that when you use an amiibo card, you will not get any happy points for rolling that turn. This can really hurt when you roll on double dice day, since you won't even get the massive bonus points from throwing doubles.

So it's not entirely the best idea to use an amiibo card every time, especially with double dice. If you don't need it or there are mostly good things ahead of you, roll normally with your character. Save it for when you need to land on a good turnip price, or wish to push as far as possible. All those happiness points add up!

Also, now is a great time to discuss another feature I haven't heard much about yet. Town building!

I really hope you get a chance to read this before you get too far in the game, because guess what? The town you start in is going to be your town for the rest of the time you play, and it is random each time you begin a new save file.

Its just like town generation in new leaf, so there's a random grass pattern, native fruit, river formation, building locations, and other minor changes throughout the town.

You get to decide where your villagers live in a predesginaged location, and there will be different spots for the PWP you can place.

Don't worry, no need to ping reset here, all the PWP are unlocked from the start! You pay happy points to place new buildings, and other nifty things. The choices available are a mixture of brand new things, and some returning from new leaf.

It is encouraged that you build new things in open spaces, as filling in some spaces will result in a new path being opened around the development site you choose.

You won't be able to get the town building feature until you play 3 (or 4, not sure) board games and unlock it. So before get too far in the game, you should scope out what your new town looks like before you commit.

It's not a big deal in the long run, but the option is only available once, so may as well see what you can get in case you want to be a perfectionist with town setup.

Hope this helps you guys out!
It's great to see that there's a little more to this game than I expected, and now I got a whole new town to work on too!

Last edited:
Great info here! I figured a lot of this stuff out playing with the settings today but some of it I didn't know so thank you for exploring and sharing your finds^^
I'm really surprised how in depth the game turned out to be.

This post is full of information!!

I had found most of this through blindly playing over and over again.

My favorite part of my current AF map is a western beach, and the waterfall at the cliff is in a really nice place near the town hall. I don't know what native fruit I have because I haven't seen any perfect fruit.

There is town generation?!!!!! Wow I'd love to see what other people have for maps.

Here's my town layout.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkn2rtLvA

What villagers you have is also randomly generated. For example I don't have any black villagers in the mix.

I just strategize to maximize points for all four figures I'm playing with right now. I aim for positive money to start then invest in turnips right away. I use villagers to help pretty regularly but if my trajectory doesn't matter or it's Twice Dice day I skip it. I always try to land on Katie, Shrunk, Redd, and (good) Joan spaces as much as possible so I'll have maximum cards and profit. Buying fluctuating turnip cards from Redd and saving them for say a Tuesday of a given week is a big life saver. The movement chooser card is obviously also a lifesaver, and the positive card can help me push the number of turnips I'm investing without worrying about going into debt for a few days. With some luck, I've gotten up to 511 happy points in one game, 400 of that being from money!

Back