• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

golden stags

Crash

spooky
Bells
Spirit Candy: Wix
Black Feather
Black Feather
Black Feather
Black Feather
Black Feather

in all the time i've played animal crossing, i've never caught a golden stag. ever.
i recently got my boyfriend more or less addicted to NL in the past two weeks, and
i go into my museum today and guess what i find? a golden stag. he managed to
catch one in the town, not the island, in november, which I thought you couldn't do.

what are your golden-stag-catching stories, or how many have you caught so i can
show my boyfriend and knock his ego down a few notches? :D

Last edited:
Are we not counting the Island? I catch themm all the time on the island. About 3 a night if i go to catch beetles.
I think i might have seen one once in my town.

when i started, i ended up scaring the first few golden stags away, but after i figured out how to walk slowly and creep up on them, it was extremely easy. i've probably caught at least 50+? it's super easy to spot them when you go to the island after 9pm. when i used to ~hunt beetles~ i'd always play after 11pm. there probably wasn't much of a difference, but i liked to think they would spawn more around that time.

see like i see them on the island all the time, but i can never actually catch them.
and that's how it's been since i started playing, lmao. i'm not even bad at bug catching anymore.
and i swear he caught it in the actual town, not the island. which makes no sense at all, because i'm
pretty sure they're only supposed to be around in the summer.​

Golden stags appear easily enough on the island. It's just so easy to scare them away. You need to be like, barely moving.

i'd always play after 11pm. there probably wasn't much of a difference, but i liked to think they would spawn more around that time.

It doesn't effect the spawn rate for golden stags. But farming beetles on the island after 11PM is good anyway since then you have a chance for giant stags to spawn which are good money too.

They are a constant on the island. Beginning every night at dusk and ongoing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

If I am going bug hunting, I head over to the island at 7 pm. I hunt for about thirty to forty-five minutes and come home with approx 300 thousand bells.

yeah it took me forever to catch one too haha. but now I can catch them pretty easily. you seriously have to be barely moving, holding down A with your net out, if you're not directly facing it then don't get too close when you're trying to get lined up with it. if it starts to wiggle a little then you have to stay still for a couple seconds until it stops.

I'm amazing at catching sharks though, the trick is to listen for the hook to drop and not watch it (watching it messes me up lol)

Yeah, I got them while farming on the island. You have to move extremely slowly and it's easy to scare them away.

Oh golden stags, try practicing moving the control the slowest possible speed ever, once you get the practice of it, it's almost the same as catching the regular atlas and horned elephants except the speed is 3x slower. For my first few tries I missed it, I find that walking towards it horizontally or verically works pretty well, once you are fine, then diagonal another way to catch it, I find this one my favourite since it feels less time consuming and more efficient xD good luck!

Golden stags can appear in your town if you plant banana trees and coconut trees along the shore, as far as I know! I planted those fruits on my beach and found the same bugs that appear on the island. :]
As for golden stags, I've caught a lot I guess? (They sell for so much $$$$$). It's pretty hard though. It's like golden stags can see you from a 3-mile radius. Sometimes I don't even see them on screen, I just hear that sound stags make when they get scared and leave, and I'd whisper, "It's another one of those damn golden stags." But anyway, you need to move very, very, very slowly when approaching a golden stag. When it moves a bit, stop until it stays still. Then BAM, unleash your fury. x)

For sharks, I close my eyes when I try to fish for one. Sound travels faster than light, so you'd hear the "sploosh" of the bait before seeing it. You'll react faster if you only listen to it. Works every time. c: (Kidding, not every time. Sometimes in anticipation, I press the button too early. :C )

Good luck with golden-stag catching and shark fishing!

The ultimate easy guide to Golden Stags

Whenever I want to catch Golden Stags, I always take a trip to the island. They occur much more frequently there and year round! They more commonly spawn in the evening after like 5-6pm. In the island, grab a net and take a look at the trees located on the sand, NOT the grassy part. It takes some time because they're more rare than your common Goliath or Elephant beetle. I find that it helps starting from the bottom of the island map and working your way up, that way you spook your bugs a lot less. Also, don't forget to catch those pesky butterflies and spook those crawly bugs on the ground. They usually take up the bug spawns if they are out and don't let other beetles spawn.

As long as you're patient and you take some time going slow walking around checking every tree, you will eventually come across a golden stag, I guarantee you! I've caught hundreds this way -- It's how I make my $$$ ;)

I hope this helps you and anyone else looking to do the same thing! :)

Happy Crossing!
Leen

Last edited:
When you spot one, start slow walking. Take one step, stop. Take one step, stop. Do this until you get over by it. You can actually stand next to one and not scare it away if you take it slow.

i honestly forgot i even made this post lol, thanks everyone for your advice!
and i was actually referring to him catching the stags in the town, not on the island. but regardless, he's a better bug catcher than me ;-;
i'll have to make more an effort now and follow all of your tips! c:​

Last edited:
Is your town set during the summer? The golden stag isn't around in November in town. The island is the only place you can catch one all year long.
I've been playing since the release and it took awhile to figure out how to catch them. Going into stalk mode and walking slowly towards the tree helps. To help I carried shells in my pocket and dropped the shell when I caught a bug on the palm tree. I use it as a marker for stopping. Test it a couple of times and than bury the shell in the spot. A star is in spot.

I usually come home with 8 and sometimes 12 when I'm having a good day.

Last edited:
Generally when I go beetle hunting at night, I snag about 2-5, depending on how many spawn and how patient I am that night. But if plenty spawn, and I'm patient enough to move slow enough, I can get quite a few.

Is your town set during the summer? The golden stag isn't around in November in town. The island is the only place you can catch one all year long.
I've been playing since the release and it took awhile to figure out how to catch them. Going into stalk mode and walking slowly towards the tree helps. To help I carried shells in my pocket and dropped the shell when I caught a bug on the palm tree. I use it as a marker for stopping. Test it a couple of times and than bury the shell in the spot. A star is in spot.

I usually come home with 8 and sometimes 12 when I'm having a good day.
no, my town is set in real time and he swears he caught it in town. i'm not even sure if he'd unlocked the island at that point.
that's why i made the thread, because i wasn't sure if anyone else had managed this, or if he's just a liar. cx
i know how to catch them now as i've been playing for years, i'm just not patient enough to anymore!​

i've never even seen a golden stag in game.... i'm such a loser.

Back