• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Why are the Octopuses Popular and the Cows aren't?

NicPlays

Bells
User Title Color Change
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Tasty Cake
Voodoo Doll
October Birthstone (Opal)
Orange (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
Just wondering. There seems to be a lot of love for all the Octopus villagers, because there are only 3. BUT, there are only 3 Cows, and they barely get a mention. I recently had Patty move into my town via campsote, and she's a joy. Do any of you guys like th cows?

To be honest, I prefer the cow villagers over the octopus villagers. I had Patty as one of my original villagers!

I don't know how many octopus villagers there has been (in all the AC games), but I think there has been around 7 cows in the AC games, but only three of them are in NL.

Maybe they're more popular than cows because the only octopus villagers in any AC game have been Zucker, Marina and Octavian?

Tbh though, I don't really care about either species.

Last edited:
I prefer the cow villagers, personally, but there are bulls too- that brings them up to nine villagers I think. And I thought there were four cows in NL? Idk, there's probably only three.

Maybe because there are only 3 octopus villagers and that makes them rare and special. Personally, I only like Marina. Or maybe a lot of people just don't like how cows look. Gorillas aren't popular, either.

I don't like either species lmao. I guess it's because octopi are new, same reason why deer and hamsters are so popular. (I love deer but I think the hamsters look weird :/ )

Well you can't get a octopus villager as a starter, so there's that (making them rare-special). Also the cows are pretty plain while the octopus have pretty interesting combinations of design, style and houses. Personally I like Naomi, she has arguably one of the best snooty styles. Sadly Tipper and Patty are pretty bland.

I personally prefer the design of the octopi (exception being Zucker; Octavian is my favorite) in comparison to the cows, which is why I prefer them. I despise Patty because she used to be a StreetPass tenth villager of mine.

I actually really like the cow villagers. The octopi, however, look odd to me. I don't really like any of the bulls though, but I do have a soft spot for Rodeo because he was in my CF town for over two years.

I think its mostly based on how they look. Alligators, gorillas, and hippos aren't exactly popular either since they have a large form unlike the smaller villagers. Maybe the smaller it is the more cute it is?

I think Zucker and Marina are super cute, but I'm not a fan of Octavian. ^^" I like their eyes and mouths, and think the way they walk is super cool!

I liked Rodeo when he was in my town, but haven't met any of the other cows/bulls. Rodeo was really great, though, because I changed his catchphrase to "Hail Satan" and headcanoned that he was trying to start a cult.

I've never liked the cows, probably because Tipper has haunted me in every AC game I play. She always turns up & takes forever to leave.

I've never been a fan of the octopi, I've had all 3 at some point & they don't do anything for me. I'd take them over the cows/bulls though. My favorite villagers are the squirrels, rabbits, & cats.

Thanks for the comments! I would just like to point a few things out:

•Cows and Bulls are SEPERATE species. In the thread I am referring to Cows.
•There are only 3 Cows in New Leaf
•Octopuses were NOT introduced in New Leaf. They (minus Zucker) have been in older AC games.
•Patty is a cutie

Yeah, hope this helps!

In my opinion, some of the cow designs aren't that appealing to me , the only one I like is Patty (who I have now). However I find it weird how there are octopus villagers yet you can still catch them in the sea.

For me, it comes down to design, nostalgia, and numbers.

I've been a fan of the octopus design since I first saw Octavian in the Gamecube game in a friend's town. Strangely enough, he decided to move to my town when I ended the visit. That love for the octopus design stayed with me through the years and I reacquired him in New Leaf, alongside Marina. I don't hate Zucker, but I don't care to acquire him.

I don't dislike the cow model, but of the three, I only like one of them: Naomi. I'd probably appreciate the cows more if there were more to choose from. As it stands, I have so many dream villagers that none of the cows have a chance of making it into any of my towns.

CL7dkhDUYAQ6Duq.jpg

CNTcIGlVAAAOXxf.jpg

I like those cows.If I had another space I'd probably get Naomi too.Generally,it seems like the "farm animal" villagers(cows,pigs,ducks,chickens,bulls,goats,some of the horses,etc.)just aren't very popular.Perhaps people think they're too common and not exotic enough to have in their town.The octopus villagers have that exotic quality plus,you can't get them as part of your starting five villagers when creating a new town.

The octopi villagers are kind of unique and exotic looking, it started in the first Animal Crossing game with Octavian, he felt very special because he was the only octopus villager back then, and I?m sure there`s this nostalgia feeling for him c:
I also like Marina ever since I?ve had her in my Wild World town, she`s a sweetheart<3

Back