• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's your least favorite thing about Nintendo?

Definitely the gimmicks. Motion control was almost completely a flop (in terms of what it brought to gameplay) and was downright annoying. The only game I really enjoyed it, and felt like it was worthwhile was Skyward Sword, but even there I got killed a few times (those Beamos) because of how it wasn't responding properly.

With the Wii U, I mostly play games with the Pro Controller. However, I will say at least they gave us options, much better options than on the Wii.

Definitely the gimmicks. Motion control was almost completely a flop (in terms of what it brought to gameplay) and was downright annoying. The only game I really enjoyed it, and felt like it was worthwhile was Skyward Sword, but even there I got killed a few times (those Beamos) because of how it wasn't responding properly.

With the Wii U, I mostly play games with the Pro Controller. However, I will say at least they gave us options, much better options than on the Wii.

I think motion control on the Wii was such a gigantic success though. The Wii was HUGE. It was incredibly popular and is credited as the video game that had non-gamers gaming before even mobile games.

I cannot think of a single time my family got together for almost three years where somebody failed to pull out Wii Sports, or Wii Sports Resort.

My aunt who hadn't played anything since Super Mario 64 could not get enough of her Wii. Especially Wii Fit--She managed to be one of the only people I've heard of who lost substantial weight on that "game."

So, I'm going to disagree. It wasn't completely a flop. Not even close.

When it's done right, it's magnificent (the Donkey Kong puzzle in Nintendo Land comes to mind).

But I am going to agree that when it doesn't work right, or isn't intuitive enough (Twilight Princess, etc) that it completely puts a whole sour taste on the whole motion control thing.

I think motion control on the Wii was such a gigantic success though. The Wii was HUGE. It was incredibly popular and is credited as the video game that had non-gamers gaming before even mobile games.

Listen, I could not even possibly care less how much of a financial success it was. I went out of my way to clarify that when I said "flop", I did not mean financially.

What's popular and financially successful does not always equate to quality. I think that this is clearly one of those examples.

So, I'm going to disagree. It wasn't completely a flop. Not even close.

When it's done right, it's magnificent (the Donkey Kong puzzle in Nintendo Land comes to mind).

But I am going to agree that when it doesn't work right, or isn't intuitive enough (Twilight Princess, etc) that it completely puts a whole sour taste on the whole motion control thing.

or Animal Crossing City Folk.

Nevertheless, I played a number of Wii games, and not a single one of them outside of Skyward Sword - which required an upgrade to the Wii Remote - ever did anything for me that wasn't gimmicky and annoying.

How they can't keep amiibos (and now the Animal Crossing cards too!) stocked. I perhaps understand a little about the smash amiibos because they're figures but there is no excuse to be short on the amiibo cards. How hard are cards to print? It's almost like Nintendo doesn't want our money.

The fact I couldn't even get 4 of the screws on the back of my gamepad off. Kinda ridiculous. Had the special screw driver and everything.

Less specifically aimed at Nintendo proper, I'm frustrated that they're allowing Intelligent Systems to turn one of their/Nintendo's longest running first-party franchises into a waifu/husbando simulator. I've been a fan of Fire Emblem for years, and it's disheartening that the games are going from cool tactical games with somewhat interesting stories to a game where the story suffers because everyone in your army has to have time travel babies. Money talks and they're going with what sold the most, but it's not like they ever actually tried to advertise the series before.

Why does everyone always claim that Awakening is 'nothing more than a Waifu/Husbando Eating Sim' That's only 1 part of the game. There's still a lot of strategic fighting that you do.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, the Story is still amazing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Probably how some of their games force you to use the Gamepad for player one while the other player gets to choose whatever other controller they want that's compatible. I've always found this frustrating in Mario and Sonic at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games. The Wii remote has big superiority over the Gamepad for this one event, but player one can't change their controller.

Why does everyone always claim that Awakening is 'nothing more than a Waifu/Husbando Eating Sim' That's only 1 part of the game. There's still a lot of strategic fighting that you do.

- - - Post Merge - - -

- - - Post Merge - - -

The story is laughably boring and uninspired compared to practically any other game in the series. The quality is dragged down by the future children mechanic. Time travel is terrible in pretty much anything, in my opinion, so it really drags it down.

The character conversations are also dragged down by the marriage mechanic. Because everyone has to be able to produce offspring with nearly every other person of the opposite gender, all of their base conversations have to deal with awkward flirtation and/or eventual marriage. God forbid they talk about stuff from their past or develop interesting, non-sexual relationships instead of discussing marriage and food.

Genealogy of the Holy War, the fourth game in the series, handled marriage and children characters perfectly. I won't spoil anything, but story events lead to the first army being replaced by their children. The children actually age naturally and the world and plot progress instead of having to rely on stupid portals.

Death also means nothing in that game because you can just recruit the major villains. What's even the point of anything?

The tactical aspect is still fun in Awakening, but it hardly feels worth it when I don't care about the cast. The older games can entertain me well enough in both aspects.

---

To try to stay on topic a bit, on top of the other annoyances I listed earlier, I'm annoyed by the Animal Crossing HHD bundle. I want the smaller New 3DS, and because it only comes bundled with Happy Home Designer, it costs even more than a New 3DS XL. That's ridiculous. They don't even have the decency to give you the physical copy of the game so you can sell it back to the store if you don't want it.

Last edited:
One of the things that's happening now that really annoys me about Nintendo is the fact that they're starting to rely more heavily on merchandise like Amiibos, Amiibo cards, and plushies and stuff more heavily than the games they're releasing, and I just hope that they don't rely on it too much for income and still care about quality games. Not saying Amiibo or plushies like that stuff is bad, I have about 10 of each of those, it's just not good for people who want to enjoy actual content in newer games faster.

Last edited:
Probably how some of their games force you to use the Gamepad for player one while the other player gets to choose whatever other controller they want that's compatible.

^^^^

Hyrule Warriors, I want to love you, but you're so full of yourself and your "dual screen feature" that you've failed to take a very important detail into account:
Nearly everyone ever owns a large, flat-screen TV now. We finally have the room for split-screen games on our TVs, and you give us this stupid little screen on my controller, and force us to use it for half of your games.

As a secondary? It's fine. It makes a good map screen for LoZ: Wind Waker.
But as the primary screen? I got a home console for a reason. I don't want your crappy 4"x4" screen, I want to see it on my 50" TV tyvm

REGION LOCK WHY

also their bad distro, cause we don't get a lot of games that Japan gets. Oh well they wanna keep their family/kids tradition in the wests... :rolleyes:

I don't like that they're focusing so hard on new game consoles and trying to get ahead that they're ending up almost completely forgetting something.
"Hey, Nintendo, this new hardware is great and all, but we need SOFTWARE, too, don't we? Where are the games?"
"Uhhhh... Here! Have some thrown-together-at-the-last-minute games! And some spinoff games! And a whole bunch of Mario games that aren't innovative at all but easy for us to crank out in seconds! .... :D"
Thanks, Nintendo. I mean I'm pumped for the new Zelda next year and all, but in the meantime I wish I had something else new and quality from them, you know?

I'd venture to say that's an issue with most consoles though.

But I agree, there should actually be a number of games lined up if they want someone to buy their system. When the 3DS came out, it seemed like such a gimmick and I didn't see the point. Didn't actually get a 3DS until Ocarina of Time was re-released and because it was a few months before ACNL was about to come out.

I think there was a two year gap there, that's pretty significant as far as modern technology goes.

My least favourite thing about Nintendo would be what happened today... I had two copies of the Rodea the Sky Soldier Limited Edition for the Nintendo 3DS pre-ordered. I looked at my pre-order budget and it seems like I could just barely afford it and so I asked them to cancel the pre-order for just those two items and they told me no because I had a Luigi Wii Wheel previously despatched at a value of ?11.99 (hardly worthwhile to a big corporation such as Nintendo, surely) and so I now feel pressured to make sure that I can afford the pre-orders due out on Friday the 13th of November...

I am not happy with this as I am genuinely unable to return the Luigi Wii Wheel.
They offered me a freepost label, but I am literally too skint at the moment to even buy a box to send it back in...

But I love pre-ordering things so much. <--The size BB Code is not working?
I have it set out as SIZE=1 and /SIZE with both [ ] symbols... It is all correct as I pressed the Size Menu at the top of the post menu.

Last edited:
They're really bad when it comes to supply-and-demand (not just for amiibo, but for gamecube adaptors and other stuff as well), have little faith in the Wii U, they're really stingy with the Youtube community, and unlike smash bros, they mostly ignore the demands from fans.

WHERE'S MY POKEMON SNAP 2, NINTENDO????

FOR THE WII U? THE CONSOLE MADE FOR A PHOTOGRAPHY GAME?????

Thank you for this thread, that was cathartic.

I'm unsure of you already know or not, but there's never going to be a Pokemon snap 2. A different company has copy right to Pokemon snap and its even been confirmed by game freak that it would be incredibly hard to get a sequel.

Also, being a big mother fan, I want mother 3.

That they don't give me all of their games free of charge... and how damn long it usually is between good mario and zelda games (always worth it).

I'd venture to say that's an issue with most consoles though.

But I agree, there should actually be a number of games lined up if they want someone to buy their system. When the 3DS came out, it seemed like such a gimmick and I didn't see the point. Didn't actually get a 3DS until Ocarina of Time was re-released and because it was a few months before ACNL was about to come out.

I think there was a two year gap there, that's pretty significant as far as modern technology goes.

I agree for sure. I didn't buy my 3DS until New Leaf came out because the other games sucked.

I hate that all they do is tease and play games. Like they'll hint at something but never go into detail until like the week it comes out. Sure teases are great for fans as they can get their imaginations going, but announcing something and having everyone die from excitement works just as well.

I also hate how they're pushing for the NX and practically throwing the Wii U away. I had my Wii for four years before the next console was released, and even then the games keep bringing me back to that system. Now I've haven't even had my Wii U for two years and it's time for an upgrade? The Wii U has so much potential but very little in terms of games. I really don't want to keep playing it just for Splatoon and Smash (but I will), which are the only real significant games for the console. I sure hope that if they don't release some quality stuff before the NX is released they'll at least make games for both systems for a while.

Last edited:
I hate the way there's a region lock. In acnl, we can't even get other special items only available in Japan devices.

Back