• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I just commissioned an artist and I have some questions...

Bells
On tumblr, I commissioned an artist to draw a bunch of my villagers to use as a signature on here. The whole thing is gonna cost around $90 i think but I'm confused how I pay her. I have a paypal account and stuff but like I'm just confused how the money gets to her. Please comment any info you have regarding this process, thanks!! :)

$90?? man.. you have to talk to her about it she's the owner of the product so you gotta ask her about her paying methods

On tumblr, I commissioned an artist to draw a bunch of my villagers to use as a signature on here. The whole thing is gonna cost around $90 i think but I'm confused how I pay her. I have a paypal account and stuff but like I'm just confused how the money gets to her. Please comment any info you have regarding this process, thanks!! :)

$90 dollars for a few villagers? No offends, but why would you pay that?

Either she will email you requesting the payment with a link to pay via paypal or you can pay her via paypal with her email. She might have a shop where there is a checkout button or something as well, it all depends on how she likes to be paid. I would ask her.

- - - Post Merge - - -

She might wait until she's done to accept payment, some artists do, or they will show you a rough before you you pay so you can request any changes.

actually i dont think its a lot of money... people just get offended here if something costs over $10 dollars.
if you have 8 villagers and 1 character, each one is $10.
i find that that fair enough...

actually i dont think its a lot of money... people just get offended here if something costs over $10 dollars.

Yes but it's Sig art. The villagers are smaller. I find it too much for a little sig...

Her artwork must be really good ��
When you send money via PayPal , first have an account if you don't already. Have some money in it or input your card info.
Ask for her email when you look for the send money link. Make sure to type it correctly. She will get a confirmation to accept the payment. Or you could ask her to send you a request for money. Just give her your PayPal email. You'll receive an email saying so-and-so is requesting $90 from PayPal. Pay now

Would you mind posting the art here once it's done?<3
I would love to see the result of something worth more than I could afford rn xD

ah ****s sake. this is true. "oh my god art actually costs mONEY??!?!?!?! WHAT IS THIS"
11 characters IS A LOT. sig art is not necessarily "smaller" -- its resized so it looks smaller. usually, its drawn at a higher resolution. i have paid 80$ for two characters multiple times -- because, this may come as a surprise to you guys, but artists need to make a living and if they can sell it for that much, you can be damned sure they will. people underprice and undercharge so much that they hurt themselves and the attitude that $80 is "too much" for 11 characters is so bad.

yes, art is subjective. what you find to be worth 80$ is different than what i find to be worth it. but when you have the money to spend and find an artist you really like, youre going to spend it. sure you might wish its cheaper, but you have to again, understand that this artist is working for pennies because its SO HARD to get an audience and to keep that audience, which is why people underprice. many freelance artists work for below minimum wage. below. minimum. wage. to get a grasp on their audience.

undervaluing art is really awful and needs to stop.

(hope you get your payment sorted out, others have given advice on that~)

^^thank you guys so much for all these responses, they've been super helpful. yes i am aware $90 is a lot of money but the quality of this person's art and the nature of my request (13 villagers in a pic) warrant that amount. and like Shirohibiki stated, when you think about it, this may be the artist's only income, and I can't imagine paying any less than minimum wage considering how long the piece may take. once again, i really appreciate the time you all are taking by answering in my thread :)

Last edited:
A little educating for the childrens:

art takes time, so when you're getting 13 characters like our good friend is, $90 is a kickass price, considering that the art is high quality.

So, let's think about it this way:

90/13= 6.9 (which we can round up to 7)

$7 per character is an awesome price

Paypal is easy. You just need her email.

You log in, click my paypal, hit "pay or send money", send to friends and family, enter the email the artist gives you and the amount, and voila, you've sent the money.

I can't wait to see the finished product of this!

Last edited:
Ahh I'm just strict with money.
It's probably a good price to normal people, but to me who is 14 who's job earns them around 3 pound a week, not worth it xD.
But to an adult or something it's probably good. :=

Beardo, I didn't do the math, but now I completely agree. That is definitely worth it!

ah ****s sake. this is true. "oh my god art actually costs mONEY??!?!?!?! WHAT IS THIS"
11 characters IS A LOT. sig art is not necessarily "smaller" -- its resized so it looks smaller. usually, its drawn at a higher resolution. i have paid 80$ for two characters multiple times -- because, this may come as a surprise to you guys, but artists need to make a living and if they can sell it for that much, you can be damned sure they will. people underprice and undercharge so much that they hurt themselves and the attitude that $80 is "too much" for 11 characters is so bad.

yes, art is subjective. what you find to be worth 80$ is different than what i find to be worth it. but when you have the money to spend and find an artist you really like, youre going to spend it. sure you might wish its cheaper, but you have to again, understand that this artist is working for pennies because its SO HARD to get an audience and to keep that audience, which is why people underprice. many freelance artists work for below minimum wage. below. minimum. wage. to get a grasp on their audience.

undervaluing art is really awful and needs to stop.

(hope you get your payment sorted out, others have given advice on that~)

right!!! i appreciate you backing me / the op / and the artist up on this!!

Would you perhaps show us all when it's completed? I LOVE seeing great art. C:

Back