• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Official Homework Help Thread

I got an immunology questions for you guys! :p

I'm going to ask my professor tomorrow, but let's see who thinks they can answer.

For the classical pathway of the complement system of the innate immunity, I know that an antibody (IgM or IgG) binds to a receptor on a pathogen, which activates the complement system. C1 binds to the antibody, then C4 binds to C1 which cleaves into C4b, again C2 binds to C4b which cleaves in C2b and together you have C4bC2b which is a proteolytic enzyme called C3 convertase. The C3 protein then binds to the C4bC2b which also cleaves to become C3b. We know C3b facilitates in phagocytosis, in other words, when a macrophage is present, it has a receptor that will bind with C3b to engulf entire pathogen and destroy it.

However, if there is no macrophage around, then does C2bC3b just become C5 convertase and initiate the Membrane Attack Complex like so in the alternative pathway? What is a more common occurrence? Is a macrophage presence just by random?

I gave up after reading the first 10 words.

then again your probably studying college level stuff

Last edited:
i've never studied the immune system in that much depth so i'm of no help, but i just wanted to say that was actually really interesting to read. you should come back with the answer if no one here has anything good

I got an immunology questions for you guys! :p

I'm going to ask my professor tomorrow, but let's see who thinks they can answer.

For the classical pathway of the complement system of the innate immunity, I know that an antibody (IgM or IgG) binds to a receptor on a pathogen, which activates the complement system. C1 binds to the antibody, then C4 binds to C1 which cleaves into C4b, again C2 binds to C4b which cleaves in C2b and together you have C4bC2b which is a proteolytic enzyme called C3 convertase. The C3 protein then binds to the C4bC2b which also cleaves to become C3b. We know C3b facilitates in phagocytosis, in other words, when a macrophage is present, it has a receptor that will bind with C3b to engulf entire pathogen and destroy it.

However, if there is no macrophage around, then does C2bC3b just become C5 convertase and initiate the Membrane Attack Complex like so in the alternative pathway? What is a more common occurrence? Is a macrophage presence just by random?

no the C2bC3b turns into a meme and upon activation, generates three rare pepetides

https://i.gyazo.com/b8e8705f2b1bb47c73225e48e305bc99.png

im helping my bff with geometry (which i passed with an a wtf) and i dont understand what the **** this is. i can only solve the last one

- - - Post Merge - - -

and we dont know what the hell the ?s mean

Is that really how it's written? I did pretty good in geometry but I've never seen any use of question marks like that, it doesn't seem like there's enough info to solve for the other ones

Is that really how it's written? I did pretty good in geometry but I've never seen any use of question marks like that, it doesn't seem like there's enough info to solve for the other ones

idk if its some kind of error or what but yeah thats how its written and it says nothing else

im helping my bff with geometry (which i passed with an a wtf) and i dont understand what the **** this is. i can only solve the last one

- - - Post Merge - - -

ehhhhhhhhhhhh

- are the answers supposed to be something weird or does it have to be a definite number ?

- maybe all four equations are together and since you've found x you need to substitute x on the other equations to find ?(assume it's y)

sorry if i sound stupid i'm just throwing ideas and dont really understand the question either , haha. to solve something like that i think you would usually need 3 variables and more than one equation (at least that's all i remember going over)

Last edited:
idk if its some kind of error or what but yeah thats how its written and it says nothing else
I just looked it up on google, and apparently it's part of Minkowski's question mark function, but that's mostly used in calc. Are you sure that your friend's teacher gave them the right homework? Or could they be exclamation marks?

Maybe they could just stand for unknowns, idk. Sorry D:

Last edited:

- - - Post Merge - - -

Does your friend remember anything from class about Minkowski's question mark function or maybe quadratic irrationals? A question mark in a math equation can represent this function but it seems a bit unusual for a geometry class.

What are the directions?
it just says solve

ehhhhhhhhhhhh

- are the answers supposed to be something weird or does it have to be a definite number ?

- maybe all four equations are together and since you've found x you need to substitute x on the other equations to find ?(assume it's y)

sorry if i sound stupid i'm just throwing ideas and dont really understand the question either , haha. to solve something like that i think you would usually need 3 variables and more than one equation (at least that's all i remember going over)

no theyre seperate equations i believe. its very basic geometry too so idk why her teacher would give her calc stuff. she just started geometry too yesterday so like

i think its a printing error? theres like question marks on other problems too so im not sure what the hell happened

Back