• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

amiibo Festival Is Amiibo Festival going to the only AC game for the wii U?

I doubt there will be a main AC game on Wii U. The last direct was lacking in new Wii U games. If there was a AC game coming, that would have been mentioned in the direct to increase the number of Wii U things to talk about.

Plus, the Wii U sold a disappointingly small number of consoles and the NX is incoming, so it makes business sense to hold off the game and release it for the new console. Nintendo seems to be doing this by coasting along with spin-off titles keeping the old consoles coasting along.

I doubt there will be a main AC game on Wii U. The last direct was lacking in new Wii U games. If there was a AC game coming, that would have been mentioned in the direct to increase the number of Wii U things to talk about.

Plus, the Wii U sold a disappointingly small number of consoles and the NX is incoming, so it makes business sense to hold off the game and release it for the new console. Nintendo seems to be doing this by coasting along with spin-off titles keeping the old consoles coasting along.

You're wrong.
A mainline Animal Crossing will be on Wii U.
Wii U will have a long shelf life & NX is not Wii U's successor or a console at all.
I just posted in this thread the backstory on these conclusions.
Check it out & see for yourself. Post #20.

John Lucas

I think it is not from a business point of view. I mean it sells really well and they could earn loads of money by making a game for Wii U.

Sells really well on handhelds, console sales suck in comparison. You combine the lower sales on consoles with the U being the lowest selling Nintendo console ever (even trailing GameCube's), you're going to have a hard time getting it to sell- small user base who plays it on consoles combined with a smaller install base? AF is likely it since it also gets their high selling product more sales- amiibo!

- - - Post Merge - - -

You're wrong.
A mainline Animal Crossing will be on Wii U.
Wii U will have a long shelf life & NX is not Wii U's successor or a console at all.
I just posted in this thread the backstory on these conclusions.
Check it out & see for yourself. Post #20.

John Lucas

Like the GameCube did? Wii U is selling at a lower rate than the GameCube, Nintendo's lowest selling console. I've been with Nintendo nearly 35 years, I'm insanely pulling for them, but even I have to admit the Wii U isn't selling this generation, Nintendo can't keep pouring money into it if consumers aren't buying it. It's already been 3 years and it's struggling to get any kind of real install base. Unless sales pick up massively, it's not going to catch GameCube, and Splatoon was the biggest game they had for it, Zelda U is coming out pretty late in its lifetime (approx 4 years after launch), and most generations are 5 to 6 years for Nintendo. Do the math, look at 5 years past 2012 and that's 2017, clearly the Wii U is going to be replaced sooner rather than later, only the NES, SNES and Wii had long lifetimes but they also had a MUCH bigger market share than the N64, GC, and WiiU do.

i think that everyone that thinks there's going to be an ac for the wii u is looney

i think that everyone that thinks there's going to be an ac for the wii u is looney

Haha.
Yeh, I highly doubt there will be.
Yeh have HD models and stuff, but they'll probably wait for the NX.

Either way, I'm not a fan of the Wii-U and don't even have one :(
So I hope they stick to handheld consoles for AC to be honest...

I'm not so sure that they will.
And I honestly hope they don't.
Not because I don't want another Animal Crossing game, just because of how inconvenient it would be. Animal Crossing is a great way to pass the time on a road trip, in a waiting room, etc. So without the portability of the game, a lot of people will spend less and less play time on the game, thus, useless effort right there. Also, the Wii U doesn't have a high sales rate, so Nintendo isn't just going to release a game that they worked so hard on just so people who actually own a Wii U can play. What any big business wants is to make as much money as possible off of products, and with so little people owning a Wii U, that probably won't happen. So maybe they'll release a new one for the New 3DS? I'm not sure.

I doubt a main series game would release on the Wii U. The Wii U is near the end of it's life, it's Nintendo's worst selling console (other than the CD-i, Virtual Boy, and 64DD of course) and the NX is already deep in development.

If anything, we would see a game built on the Wii U, but ported and completed on NX.

I'm not so sure that they will.
And I honestly hope they don't.
Not because I don't want another Animal Crossing game, just because of how inconvenient it would be. Animal Crossing is a great way to pass the time on a road trip, in a waiting room, etc. So without the portability of the game, a lot of people will spend less and less play time on the game, thus, useless effort right there. Also, the Wii U doesn't have a high sales rate, so Nintendo isn't just going to release a game that they worked so hard on just so people who actually own a Wii U can play. What any big business wants is to make as much money as possible off of products, and with so little people owning a Wii U, that probably won't happen. So maybe they'll release a new one for the New 3DS? I'm not sure.

This is the reason why I barely played City Folk. Given the fact that City Folk and Wild World were basically the same game didn't help either.

I know that Animal Crossing began on a console but I think it does better on a portable gaming device.

Honestly I don't want an Animal Crossing on Wii U, but I don't want another portable one either. I hope the NX brings a new AC game.

We just need to get the series more popular in this era, like possibly make an Xbox or PS4, or even a computer release, and then this game would become a lot more diverse in who can play, since almost anyone can get a console. I do hope AC makes another game, because I want to see what potential AC has for the future.

Though seeing the Wii U released games like Sonic Boom(Now a notorious worst game ever), Mario Party 10(With it's "EVERYONE'S A WINNER" mechanic, taking every minigame we hated and putting it to the forefront of game mechanics), and Cube Life: Island Survival(Another Minecraft clone, AGAIN), Wii U needs to release better games and I think console companies should have the right to order a game to be reviewed for bugs, possible plot holes, and look at everything a gamer looks for in a game.

Animal Crossing New Leaf really had their work done, and we're glad it is one of the best games in the world.

Last edited:
I'm sure it is, because the NX will be releasing soon and amiibo Festival didn't get the best reviews, if you know what I mean.

I think Animal Crossing should stay on handheld consoles...
You never know, they might make an Apple/Android AC game for smartphones xD

But seriously, Population Growing was awesome, don't get me wrong, but Animal Crossing is so much better when you can take it with you etc and not have to be restricted to sitting in front of a TV... and City Folks controllers where poop, so... I doubt Nintendo will ever release a full AC game on a home console again.

Likely, I kind of want it to take a while so they can add so many new features into the next game. I think that there will be 500 villagers in the next game.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I would honestly like to wait until 2020.

With no new news this year, and NX on the horizon, it seems almost like it is not going to see an actual title in the series- probably why they released the Select version of City Folk again, 5 years after first releasing it since Wii U also plays Wii games. Neither of the titles will sell that well on Wii U, it has struggled since its launch, but thanks to Splatoon, it's surged in Japan, and Japan loves Animal Crossing- too bad they love it more on handhelds, like pretty much 90% of everyone else (as indicated by polls constantly on here with 90% roughly agreeing they want to see it on handhelds).

Just look at HHD, you can see it had WAY more thought and development put into it than AF did- ND Cube clearly modeled it after Amiibo Party from Mario Party 10. At least HHD LOOKS like an Animal Crossing game! That sold over 2 million in Japan alone, and AF will be lucky if it tops 500,000 worldwide. I seriously doubt any actual game in the series would have done 2 million given the low install base, so Nintendo poured more time and effort into HHD, and gave their subsidiary AF, knowing it was only there to push more amiibo (clearly).

On the number of villagers though, if they want to keep them from having multiple birthdays in the same town, 366 is the highest amount they'll be able to have. Otherwise, you're going to risk towns having more than 1 birthday villager. Once they added that feature into the series in WW- cool idea though, that started limiting how many villagers you can have total, so they'll have to "retire" villagers- ones like Penny who never showed up after the first, to create new ones after 366.

Personally, I don't think a new one is too far off, HHD didn't take that long, so clearly they're working on other projects- I'm sure they're going to also be working on a Splatoon sequel given how massive that became. If they're working on them both at the same time though, given how they'll slow each other down, I'd say between 2017 and 2019 we should see another AC, and/or Splatoon.

Last edited:
I'll be blunt with my opinion: the wii u was kinda ofa failure and smash 4 only managed to barely save it

The wii u's time is almost up so I think the next MAIN game will be on NX

I wish, and it would make sense, but I don't think so. Maybe on the NX!

Personally, I don't think a new one is too far off, HHD didn't take that long, so clearly they're working on other projects- I'm sure they're going to also be working on a Splatoon sequel given how massive that became. If they're working on them both at the same time though, given how they'll slow each other down, I'd say between 2017 and 2019 we should see another AC, and/or Splatoon.

I agree completely, in fact, I've actually been having similar thoughts lately. Imo, with the NX coming out soon, and with it having been about four years or so since we've seen a new Animal Crossing game for the main series, it's around the time it seems like they would release a new one. Of course I've thought they'd be releasing a new one soon since before the NX was announced. Honestly it's very popular, so I'm sure they make another one, but it may not be soon, but it just seems logical to me that they would.

As for the Wii U, I highly, highly doubt that we'll ever see an AC game for the Wii U, sure we might see one, but considering that the Wii U hasn't been all that successful, and the NX will be launching before too long, they probably won't be releasing one for it. But who knows.

Back