Pokémon Anybody entering the Pikachu Cup?

Jarrad

Bread
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Winter Mittens
Green Fair Pinwheel
Green Feather
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
Red Candy
I've just registered for it.
Time to churn out a full electric team! I was thinking to use an eviolite on some unevolved pokemon just to spice things up.

it's already obvious that the most popular pokemon in the cup will be Rotom, not pikachu

Never heard of it. I wonder if Serebii has mentioned it...

Never heard of it. I wonder if Serebii has mentioned it...

They've been talking about it for a week or two now. Basically if a lot of people enter it and use Pikachu, everyone who competes get a special Pikachu. Cosplay Chu doesn't count either, so if you're gonna use Pikachu use a normal Pikachu.

They've been talking about it for a week or two now. Basically if a lot of people enter it and use Pikachu, everyone who competes get a special Pikachu. Cosplay Chu doesn't count either, so if you're gonna use Pikachu use a normal Pikachu.

Hey, thanks for the heads up Tom. I might enter it myself :)

I entered and am working on my team (breeding, EV training, etc) now. I doubt I'll win very much, but I'm hoping for that special pikachu at the end of it all (mostly cause the other prizes are terrible; a Light Ball? You can get that in game easily. PokeMiles? Pfft...just participate in one Wonder Trade Wednesday or use PokeBank and you'll get more than the prize gives).

But, yea...agreed that Rotom is going to be insanely popular. Rotom-W is already popular in doubles from what I've heard, and the other one which will prolly be common is Heat Rotom. I'm considering whether or not to use one of the rotoms; they are fairly bulky, but their bulk is a little overrated since they sit at a base 50 stat for HP. Still, they can take hits pretty well, and there isn't much which can OHKO a Rotom-W in the Pikachu Cup since Grass Knot will do next to nothing to it...
...and if anyone uses HP Grass, I'm going to presume they hacked their mon because it's one of the harder HPs to get (along with HP Ground).
Easiest ones to get are Dark and Dragon; I've also gotten HP Ice on occasion, but the others are extremely more difficult to legit breed.

I bet Stunfisk will show up in team previews, at least, since it's one of the two electric types which gets a powerful ground-type attack. That thing is a beast in terms of bulk. I've used it on Showdown in the UU tier, and it wasn't OHKOed (or even 2HKOed) by a STAB scald and managed to take out a couple mons.
Unfortunately, it does have a lot of weaknesses (grass, water, ice, ground); people are going to be carefully building their teams to be able to handle the big threats such as Rotom (Wash and Heat), so it wouldn't be unusual for someone to have coverage for Stunfisk (heck, Rotom-W checks and counters it). It's also worn down very easily by status; I'm gonna throw a toxic or burn on any I see.

The time limit might be a slight issue. 60 seconds to pick your team, and 30 to pick your move; that alone nearly made me not enter.

Edit: Anyone who wants to test their team, Showdown has a dropdown option for the Pikachu Cup. Just beware of two things:
1. People WILL be packing HP Ground...cause it's Showdown
2. Unless you turn the timer on or self-time, there's no way to make sure you've made your decisions in the allotted time.

Frankly, if I wind up against someone in the actual competition who runs HP Ground on anything, I'll figure that there's a 99% chance they hacked their mons (again, that's a hard HP to get through legit methods).

Last edited:
I entered and am working on my team (breeding, EV training, etc) now. I doubt I'll win very much, but I'm hoping for that special pikachu at the end of it all (mostly cause the other prizes are terrible; a Light Ball? You can get that in game easily. PokeMiles? Pfft...just participate in one Wonder Trade Wednesday or use PokeBank and you'll get more than the prize gives).

But, yea...agreed that Rotom is going to be insanely popular. Rotom-W is already popular in doubles from what I've heard, and the other one which will prolly be common is Heat Rotom. I'm considering whether or not to use one of the rotoms; they are fairly bulky, but their bulk is a little overrated since they sit at a base 50 stat for HP. Still, they can take hits pretty well, and there isn't much which can OHKO a Rotom-W in the Pikachu Cup since Grass Knot will do next to nothing to it...
...and if anyone uses HP Grass, I'm going to presume they hacked their mon because it's one of the harder HPs to get (along with HP Ground).
Easiest ones to get are Dark and Dragon; I've also gotten HP Ice on occasion, but the others are extremely more difficult to legit breed.

I bet Stunfisk will show up in team previews, at least, since it's one of the two electric types which gets a powerful ground-type attack. That thing is a beast in terms of bulk. I've used it on Showdown in the UU tier, and it wasn't OHKOed (or even 2HKOed) by a STAB scald and managed to take out a couple mons.
Unfortunately, it does have a lot of weaknesses (grass, water, ice, ground); people are going to be carefully building their teams to be able to handle the big threats such as Rotom (Wash and Heat), so it wouldn't be unusual for someone to have coverage for Stunfisk (heck, Rotom-W checks and counters it). It's also worn down very easily by status; I'm gonna throw a toxic or burn on any I see.

The time limit might be a slight issue. 60 seconds to pick your team, and 30 to pick your move; that alone nearly made me not enter.

Edit: Anyone who wants to test their team, Showdown has a dropdown option for the Pikachu Cup. Just beware of two things:
1. People WILL be packing HP Ground...cause it's Showdown
2. Unless you turn the timer on or self-time, there's no way to make sure you've made your decisions in the allotted time.

Frankly, if I wind up against someone in the actual competition who runs HP Ground on anything, I'll figure that there's a 99% chance they hacked their mons (again, that's a hard HP to get through legit methods).

Surprisingly I haven't actually seen many people using HP ground on showdown as of yet. I think the most popular duo that people are leading with are Emolga + Electrivire, since Emolga is immune to Earthquake. The only useful way to get rid of pesky Emolgas is either using an Ice rotom, HD ice/rock or just teaching an Electrivire rock slide (seems to do the trick for me).

This is literally going to be the first official competitive event I've registered for. Kinda wish I hadn't missed the little cup because that would have been so fun.. fighting with un-evolved baby pokes..

Surprisingly I haven't actually seen many people using HP ground on showdown as of yet. I think the most popular duo that people are leading with are Emolga + Electrivire, since Emolga is immune to Earthquake. The only useful way to get rid of pesky Emolgas is either using an Ice rotom, HD ice/rock or just teaching an Electrivire rock slide (seems to do the trick for me).

This is literally going to be the first official competitive event I've registered for. Kinda wish I hadn't missed the little cup because that would have been so fun.. fighting with un-evolved baby pokes..

Emolga's defensive stats aren't really that great, so it shouldn't be too tough to take it down; I dunno cause I've never faced a team using Emolga yet. I've used it (not in the Pikachu Cup, but in NU; up against hard hitting threats, it probably won't stay on the field long, though it should stay in long enough to get up a Tailwind).

But, yea...I see a variety of leads, but most people lead with at least Electivire. That, or it's on every single team (it's on my team, too, to be honest).
I actually considered using Magnet Rise Heliolisk since it outspeeds any ground-type user (Electivire and Stunfisk), but if eq isn't used, it's a wasted moveslot so I replaced it for Protect.
The problem is, for a poor defense stat, Electivire is actually fairly difficult to get off the field. I don't have a solid way to get it out except for countering with Stunfisk.

I did run into a Synchronize Jolteon, which was painful. Willing to bet there'll be more of that.

Emolga's defensive stats aren't really that great, so it shouldn't be too tough to take it down; I dunno cause I've never faced a team using Emolga yet. I've used it (not in the Pikachu Cup, but in NU; up against hard hitting threats, it probably won't stay on the field long, though it should stay in long enough to get up a Tailwind).

But, yea...I see a variety of leads, but most people lead with at least Electivire. That, or it's on every single team (it's on my team, too, to be honest).
I actually considered using Magnet Rise Heliolisk since it outspeeds any ground-type user (Electivire and Stunfisk), but if eq isn't used, it's a wasted moveslot so I replaced it for Protect.
The problem is, for a poor defense stat, Electivire is actually fairly difficult to get off the field. I don't have a solid way to get it out except for countering with Stunfisk.

I did run into a Synchronize Jolteon, which was painful. Willing to bet there'll be more of that.

I just encountered my first Synchronize Jolteon too, needless to say I was a bit surprised. I didn't even know it was an egg move for the eeveelutions lol

I have a magnet rise Electrode on my team and I gotta say it's probably my most treasured monster as of yet. It out speeds most pokemon, it's an awesome supporter for an electrivire, since setting up a light screen lets me hide and stall, then a swagger + foul play combo is guaranteed to deal a lot of damage to almost all of the pokemon in the pikachu cup.

Yeah, I've found that the only way to get Electrivire off the field is either with your own or a stunfisk too.
I've seen a few people actually using a pikachu w/ a light ball and it's literally like a magikarp compared to the other power houses in the cup.. I have one on my team because I want it to be the most popular pokemon in the event (though I'm not entirely sure whether you have to use it in battle in order to contribute towards its popularity in the cup)

idk, this cup is going to be fun! (I'm ******** and have no idea when it comes to IVs and breeding so I hack all of my competitive pokemon. I might start breeding legitimate pokemon soon just so I can gain a sense of accomplishment when I create a battle-ready poke. Idk. People put in like hours and hours of work just for a specific pokemon when it can be created almost instantly through using a powersave/exploitable 3DS)

Another popular strategy I'm encountering is Lanturn using "Soak", then another mon (typically mega-Ampharos) with T-bolt. It's really good as a strategy, and I'd use it if it weren't for the fact that they have to lead off (so it would be hard to fit Pikachu in there).

I went up against my first Electrode the other day; they're great for using taunt, too, since it outspeeds everything and keeps the opponent from setting up screens. There are so many good set-up mons I'd love to use in place of Pikachu (like Electrode or Emolga, or even Pachirisu). Though, I wonder if the "pikachu in the top 3" means it has to actually hit the field, or if being in the battle box/on the team is good enough.

I also don't really know what I'm doing; I've played around in the NU and UU tiers on Smogon, but I've only done doubles a couple of times; really, I'm just practicing to be able to make my moves within the 30 second time limit. XD
Expecting a lot of hacked pokemon for sure (including HP Ground ones).

The best/most hilarious team I encountered while practicing was someone who put an Air Balloon on their Eelektross.

I did all 15 battles on Friday, and one today before I got tired of it. XD
Or, more precisely, I got tired of seeing a rotom (or variation) on every single team.

So, I'm sitting at 12-4 (W-L), with a score over 1600...so I'm happy with that.

How's everyone else doing in it?

Back