• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The 3DS Amiibo reader is region locked

Boccages

Bells
Switch
0347-4629-2695
Silver Mailbox
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Mailbox
Source : http://mynintendonews.com/2015/07/3...tendo-3ds-nfc-amiibo-reader-is-region-locked/

Bad news for those of you who were considering importing the Nintendo 3DS NFC Reader/Writer as PlayAsia has confirmed that the accessory is region locked. This means that the device will not work with your European or North American Nintendo 3DS consoles. The retailer is also warning people that the Animal Crossing Cards may be region-locked as well.

Aw poo. Was hoping to use my Japanese reader/writer with my NA 3DS. :c
I guess it's good that I bought some of the Japanese Amiibo cards then, since I was originally going to try the NA cards with the JP version once they're out. I can still give it a try to confirm if there's no definite confirmation by then.

I highly doubt the cards are going to be region locked.
The amiibo cards work by reading the data from the card, and finding it in game, unlocking that content. So each card has a certain unique chip number (not each individual card, but each card itself - ie; all Isabelle cards would have the same chip number). So let's say Isabelle's chip number is #ABC001, Tom Nook's is #ABC002, K.K. Slider is #ABC003, and so on all the way up to #ABC400 to account for the 400 amiibo cards they're going to release - and since the Villager amiibo is confirmed to work, his chip number can be #ABC401.
So now that we have 401 different chip numbers for all amiibo, when we go to scan them in the game, the reader will read that chip number (ie; #ABC253) and search the games content for that number, to give you that villager in game. If the amiibo were region locked, then Nintendo would have to reprogram the game for every region to give every single amiibo in that region a different chip number (ie; Isabelle's number in Japan would be #ABC001, but in North America it would be #XYZ999), which is literally so much extra work just for unlocking data in game. Nintendo would essentially need to reprogram the amiibo data in each regions game, instead of copying and pasting it.
Not only that, but it would get incredibly confusing for Nintendo to have every regions amiibo use a different chip number instead of a universal one - they may make their next batch of amiibo figures region-free and spend a lot more time trying to find a spare chip number in each region to hold that amiibo data.
Code digging had also revealed that Nintendo have actually saved certain numbers to be used for potential Pokemon amiibo, so they can all share the same similar values (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...or_a_future_of_pokemon_cards_and_mii_fighters). If they're doing this for Pokemon, I see no reason for them to do it for AC either.
If these cards actually stored a considerable amount of data (which they don't, they only store items), then I could see them getting a region lock. But since no amiibo so far have been region locked, and these are only for unlocking purposes, I don't see any reason for a region lock to exist.
Plus, considering the smash amiibo aren't region locked, that means that any villager amiibo will work in any game, and it'd be kinda dumb for 1/401 of the games compatible amiibo not to be region locked.

The NFC reader makes sense to me region locked, because it's actual hardware, so the programming is different. The amiibo cards aren't hardware, and are a simply chip with a respective number attached to them, and considering they literally just unlock content (and store items for trade - which brings up another point, you trade items through the cards. Trading would be more difficult if the cards were region locked), there's no reason for them to be region locked

Last edited:
I highly doubt the cards are going to be region locked.

Wow, long post :p
Thanks for the info, it's put my mind at ease a bit! I have roughly 180 cards on their way to me and I'd like to collect all 100 villagers, so having to re-buy them would be a huge waste of money :/

Wow, long post :p
Thanks for the info, it's put my mind at ease a bit! I have roughly 180 cards on their way to me and I'd like to collect all 100 villagers, so having to re-buy them would be a huge waste of money :/

I mean, that's just my opinion/speculation, so it could be totally wrong. But considering the amount of extra work involved, it'd make no sense to do so.
Also should probably note that Australia saw an amiibo shortage shortly after the first wave of Smash amiibo released back in November 2014, and started important amiibo from Japan to sell here - literally, for a whole 2 months, the only amiibo you would ever see were Pikachu and Mario, and that was only if you were lucky. Not saying that it will happen again, but if that were to happen again with the cards, but if it were, if they had implemented a region lock, then that'd be a huge sales loss for amiibo card sales in Australia, considering AUS and JPN are basically neighbours and can easily import from one another.
So yeah, like I've said, it really makes no sense for there to be a region lock.

I mean, if someone is really desperate to find out if the cards are region locked, they could import a pack, and then try to use them in a game like Hyrule Warriors or Captain Toad which support every amiibo. If the Japanese cards unlock the content in the English versions of those games, then they probably wont be region locked in HHD either.

Last edited:
I mean, if someone is really desperate to find out of the cards are region locked, they could import a pack, and then try to use them in a game like Hyrule Warriors or Captain Toad which support every amiibo. If the Japanese cards unlock the content in the English versions of those games, then they probably wont be region locked in HHD either.

I can give that a go when my cards arrive if someone hasn't tested it sooner :)

Dont mind if the amiibo reader is region locked but hoping and praying the cards are not locked,
As i want the japanese cards over eu cards :p
Cause much cooler to have japanese names on the cards :)
Besides i am going to Japan in January and hoping to stock up good with amiibos during my 2 week stay lol...

Play Asia has said that amiibo cards may be region locked. Not a good sign, still buying one pack because I want to see what they are like.

Play Asia has said that amiibo cards may be region locked. Not a good sign, still buying one pack because I want to see what they are like.

Play Asia literally knows nothing more about the cards being region locked than anyone else.

Play Asia literally knows nothing more about the cards being region locked than anyone else.

Yeah but still. There must be at least one person in the world that is in Japan with a English 3DS that also has Japenese amiibo cards.

Yeah but still. There must be at least one person in the world that is in Japan with a English 3DS that also has Japenese amiibo cards.

The game isn't out in English though so how would they be able to test...?

Yea, which is accessed by playing the game.

I swear if you click the top left of the main menu and scroll down there is a amiibo menu where you can scan your amiibos, that would work with the cards would it?

I swear if you click the top left of the main menu and scroll down there is a amiibo menu where you can scan your amiibos, that would work with the cards would it?
Aren't the cards read-only though? All it does is give you new villager data for the game (pretty sure, anyway), I don't think the amiibo menu will let you do anything besides scan it.

Aren't the cards read-only though? All it does is give you new villager data for the game (pretty sure, anyway), I don't think the amiibo menu will let you do anything besides scan it.

Yes but if it scans then it's not region locked.
Yeah they are but they might not work on other regions

Back