• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Share Your Entries! (Fire Festival 2015 Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just submitted my photography contest entry!
Imgur uploaded the wrong one and I didn't even realize it until after so I hope it's okay that I changed it real quick. .-.

PAvFVn3.jpg

Definitely not winning anything here. xD
My mom and I went biking at the park on Saturday and I took some pictures of the sunset over the lake. I really wish I could've taken some pictures at the fair that's happening this weekend but I'm not sure if I'm going this weekend so I figured I'd just submit this.

k0egiZ1.jpg

P5I0meu.jpg

bPVWwtZ.jpg

Last edited:
Just submitted my photography contest entry!
Imgur uploaded the wrong one and I didn't even realize it until after so I hope it's okay that I changed it real quick. .-.

PAvFVn3.jpg

Definitely not winning anything here. xD
My mom and I went biking at the park on Saturday and I took some pictures of the sunset over the lake. I really wish I could've taken some pictures at the fair that's happening this weekend but I'm not sure if I'm going this weekend so I figured I'd just submit this.

k0egiZ1.jpg

P5I0meu.jpg

bPVWwtZ.jpg

These pictures are beautiful! :O Looks pretty peaceful.

A harsh breeze sent down a sprinkling of pine needles. Mary giggled and caught a few in the air.
“The trees seem so sensitive… don‘cha think ‘Liza?” Aliza nodded and sat down abruptly on the freshly cut grass below her. Her pink hair had collected both grass clippings and pine needles. It was thick and highly textured, leaving her an easy target for having things get caught in her hair.
Mary got on her knees behind her girlfriend and picked a few needles out.
“I guess.” Another gust of wind brought down a rain of green. “Maybe we should head back to the cabin. Judging by the sky, it’s gonna storm soon.” Aliza leaned back into her girlfriend and gently nudged her.
The brunette playfully pushed her in return and stood up, then helped Aliza up. Both of them shivered as the wind blew. It was getting dark.
“Want drinks when we get to the cabin?” Mary nodded excitedly. Aliza knew just what to make to get her in a good mood.
Slowly the forest got darker, leaving the girls to stumble blindly back to their temporary home. Even though it was cold now, the rain would cause the air to grow more humid. Aliza practically jumped out of her skin with the first sound of thunder. Her girlfriend giggled and grabbed her hand gently.
Raindrops started to patter down, slowly at first, then gaining speed.

I have to say I love your sig art! and why not try? you can still earn embers & get the mote of flame (✿◠‿◠)

ahh thank you, it was by kimber~

yeah, i just need to find time to draw, sigh... and motivation xD;;;

i currently have 2 possible art entries but i'll post the first one first

this 1st one is a quickie, took me about 1-2hrs in total only because i tried to make it as clean as possible but i couldn't get the hands and arms right???? w/e i'm done with these chibs.

LhQk0xn.jpg

trying my hand at anime style on my second one, which i will show here in a day or two when i'm finished. >.<

- - - Post Merge - - -

oh yeah explanation, summer is when i work out, so this drawing is me jogging with my friend, who seems to never get tired when jogging

View attachment 140165

This is my entry c:
Most people would enter something like the beach, or the sun. But to me, the beach, or sun, or even ice cream isn't exclusive to summer. It's never too cold for ice cream c;
But some flowers only bloom in summer. And they're pretty. The flower in the picture is a dragonfruit bloom, which is really rare where I live, since they don't grow here. I'm glad to have a plant in my backyard cx
Anyways, there are many other plants that only grow in summer, like strawberries, and you have to wait until it's their season to eat them. Dragonfruit plants don't smell like anything, but they are berry pretty and big c: I have so many pictures of them, which I took yesterday, but that's the best one. Thanks! (*∩ω∩)

Grrrr, this was my photography entry ;^; it doesn't feel summery but oh wells :D I'm pretty sure it wasn't accepted xD But yeah, the sun is always there, but these flowers arent c:
If I'm not aloud to quote my exact entry, can someone let me know? I wasn't sure if I could x:

My photography entry
Summer to me means family. Though I do not have the best of relationships with my parents, me and my sister are very close. Usually during the past few years we get a little at each other but of most recent we have been so close. The only issue is that she is in collage and 8+ hours away. So to me summer is the time for reunion and friendship between family. This picture was taken Sun August 2nd 2015, we had just returned from Disneyland, we will not get to see each other for a long while and it was the final embrace we shared. So to me, this is summer.
fflUPbK.jpg

My photography entry
Summer to me means family. Though I do not have the best of relationships with my parents, me and my sister are very close. Usually during the past few years we get a little at each other but of most recent we have been so close. The only issue is that she is in collage and 8+ hours away. So to me summer is the time for reunion and friendship between family. This picture was taken Sun August 2nd 2015, we had just returned from Disneyland, we will not get to see each other for a long while and it was the final embrace we shared. So to me, this is summer.
fflUPbK.jpg

Nice reason and pic :blush:

Two down and one to go! My story is really weird, I hope it gets accepted when I finish it >< It's about a chaotic Summer in two towns who compete for tourism. It's all set in a LOTR type world too. I'm 600 words in so I'm not giving up now anyway :p

My entries so far:

ChapelStile2015_zpspnn4g4k0.jpg

TBTFF.png_zpswa6g1qdw.jpeg

So many fab entries so far, TBTers are seriously talented! I wish everyone the best of luck, especially those who are still working on their stuff ^_^

I'm not sure how good this is compared to the others, I'm still new to photography, but oh well. :p

The story:​
I truly believe that some of my best memories are of summer storms. The way the skies grow dark so fast, with huge thunderclouds overtaking the sky, as my friends and I take shelter inside and play board games, listening to the rumbling of the thunder, seeing the flash of lighting illuminate the sky, if only for a moment. And the beauty of all the sparkling raindrops once the sun comes out. Such storms are only possible during the hot summer days, this is a photo of our mimosa right after one of those beautiful storms.

The photo:​
IMG_1153_zpsmqnjwkyb.jpg

Loved seeing everyone's entries!

I only entered the art contest so I could get an orange mote

summerpic.jpg

My photography entry
fflUPbK.jpg

Luv luv luv this!!!! Made me tear up :)

I finally finished my writing entry, I had a hard time fitting it into the maximum limit, but I managed to get the story to exactly 2,000 words :p Here it is, brace yourself though, it's pretty long.

Everyone has a flame of talent inside of them. Some have embraced their flame so much, to the point of where the flames become real. Over time, they developed to become magical users of their fire and are called "fire wielders," who are able to control and manipulate fire. Everyone was in awe with them. Though over time, the fire wielders became prideful and arrogant of their abilities, looking down at humans who didn't possess their power, leaving regular people to become resentful towards them. Eventually the two groups began to dispute, and peace seemed to have disappeared.

❦ ❦ ❦

One summer afternoon, inside of a small home, a young girl was playing piano. Her fingers danced across the keyboard as easily as if a person was walking. The song ended on a sweet-sounding harmony.

"That was lovely, Willow," an adult said, applauding her performance.

"Um, thanks, mom," the girl replied quietly, putting away her music. "But that was just a practice. Nothing big."

"You're too modest," her mother retorted. "Wait, where are you going? Oh! Are you going to call any of your friends or schoolmates?

"No," Willow responded callously. "I'll just head up my room to read." Her heart sank every time her parents mentioned friends.

Willow's mom frowned. "Honey, aren't you going to do anything...exciting this summer? Summer is practically a window of opportunities! You could go to the park, or swim, or play with your friends. Lots of things with your friends!"

"Except I don't have any real friends," Willow said glumly. "My class is full of fire wielders. They think their fire abilities are so great, and I'm just a normal kid. How can I make friends when I'm just...me?"

"...You're more than just you! I just want you to do something this summer," she said. "In fact, I have just the thing for you."

She pulled out a flyer and handed it to Willow. Willow took the flyer and read it.

"Camp Hearth, the perfect summer camp for...fire wielders? Mom, this is for fire wielders!"

"That's not what it says. It's a place meant for the alliance of both groups."

"But this is obviously targeted for fire wielders! Why would I want to go to a place like this?!"

"It's not about that, Willow," her mom said. "It says there it's to showcase the burning passion of talent and magic!"

"Obviously directed towards showcasing fire magic. See, there's even an 'initiation of worthiness' before you're even considered a camper at Camp Hearth!"

"Which is exactly what you're going to be doing tomorrow!" Willow's mom exclaimed. "I've already signed you up, and since you're so exceptionally talented at music, that's what you're going to do for Camp Hearth's initiation!"

Willow nearly fell. "I'm...going to be initiated? People will be watching?" She couldn't believe her mom was making her do this.

"It'll be fine. Just...pretend I'm the only one there watching you. Pay no heed to the judges."

Willow merely sat on the floor and sighed.

❦ ❦ ❦

In the car, Willow hummed to herself a comforting song, "Summertime." Willow had secretly started to teach herself how to sing, but the only audience to hear her voice was herself. She dreaded heading to this summer camp. She couldn't believe that she had passed the initiation even though she showed no fire magic (she had just played the piano), and now she was going to be the most bullied camper at Camp Hearth.

The car pulled up to a small clearing in a cedar forest. Willow looked out the window. An arch with a sign read: "Welcome to Camp Hearth". In the distance, she saw several cabins and buildings surrounded by grass and picnic tables. Campers showed off their fiery powers.

Willow stepped out of the car. The trunk opened, and her mother took out several bags, which contained her clothes and a sleeping bag, and handed them to Willow.

"This is it. Have fun!" her mom exclaimed. The parents of the other campers glanced at them oddly.

"I...will."

Her mom started the engine. The car groaned and rumbled, then turned around and headed back down the road as Willow watched.

"Bye..."

❦ ❦ ❦

Willow walked into the campgrounds, hoping to avoid any of the campers. She heard the crackling of fire as someone threw flames over her head, laughter sounding after.

She walked up to a cabin door and opened it. Willow tossed her stuff at the nearest bunk bed and threw herself against the mattress, sighing.

"Can I join you?"

Willow looked up and saw a girl about her age walk into the cabin. She looked at Willow and smiled.

"Um, sure."

The girl tossed her stuff at the bunk next to Willow. "Are you a fire wielder?"

"Well...no."

The girl was silent for a moment, then shrugged and grinned. "Oh, ok. I'm Mana. What's your name?"

"Willow."

"Nice to meet you, Willow!"

"You, too," Willow replied, surprised by the girl's kindness.

"Come on," Mana said invitingly, "let's go to the welcoming barbecue!"

"Um, ok."

❦ ❦ ❦

The scent of barbecue wafted through camp. Willow and Mana ate on a nearby bench. Willow enjoyed her burger's succulent taste. She looked up and saw a large torch set up in the center of the campgrounds. It seemed to be set for a special occasion.

Willow was enjoying her food until a group of boys walked up to her.

"Yo, want to show us some fire tricks or something?" they taunted. Willow looked away shamefully. Mana put her burger down and glared at the boys.

"You guys stay away from her!"

The boys looked at each other and laughed. The tallest one snatched Willow's plate away from her. He put his hand over the plate and in a matter of seconds the flames disintegrated the dish into a pile of ashes. Willow's eyes became misty. Mana stood up and faced the boys.

"Leave her alone!"

"What, do you want hot sauce with your burger, too?" one of them sneered. His fists steamed with smoke.

Mana turned her palms up and fire rose from them. "Not unless you want some."

The boys glanced at each other. "Come on, let's get out of here." They chortled as they left. Willow wiped her face.

Mana turned to Willow. "Come on," she said sympathetically, "let's go get you another hot dog."

❦ ❦ ❦

Nightfall arrived. The campers gathered near the large platform where the torch was set up, watching a tall man step onto the platform.

"Welcome to Camp Hearth! I'm Matthew," the man said. "Tonight will be quite a special night. As you can see, we have a huge torch set up right in front of us."

He pointed to the black bowl-like structure.

"But, this torch isn't just any old torch. Only blue fire will light this torch. Once the torch has been lit, a surprise will begin! But no known fire wielder has been able to create blue fire...until tonight.

"Tonight, we will call each of you up to the platform and have you perform a feat similar to what you did during your initiation. You can only light the torch when the torch recognizes...a true fire, to say the least. So do your best when you are called up. Now, let us begin!"

And so the event began. Willow watched as one by one the campers were called to the platform. There were spectacular feats; one camper balanced a plate on his nose and lit it on fire while juggling flames; another created images of animals out of smoke. One even twirled a fiery ribbon around her as she danced. Willow felt her stomach twist into a knot. She wasn't a fire wielder; she could never perform such acts. Why was she even accepted here in the first place? The torch stayed unlit, not even acknowledging that all of this was happening.

The campers became impatient of the torch, perplexed that nothing was happening. As a fire wielder named Perry stepped down from the stage, Matthew quickly called the next camper. "Miss Willow, please come on up."

Willow's heart gave a sudden jolt. She was up already? The campers mumbled to each other curiously.

Willow stepped out of the crowd and out onto the platform. The crowd watched her with dubious eyes. "Is she a fire wielder?" she heard someone mumble. Matthew smiled at her.

"What are you going to do for us tonight, Miss Willow?"

Willow sweated. "Well, for my initiation I played piano."

The crowd jeered at her, some yelling, "You're just wasting our time!"

"Quiet!" Matthew shouted. The campers settled down reluctantly.

A staff member pushed a piano onto the platform. Matthew gestured Willow to the piano. "Well then, whenever you're ready, please begin."

Willow, trembling, sat in front of the piano. How did she ever get stuck in this mess? Playing piano in front of a couple hundred fire wielders? What a joke she would become! She felt her eyes become wet. Then
she heard something in her head.

"The point of Camp Hearth is to showcase the burning passion of talent and magic," she heard her mother say. "The alliance of both."

Willow, remembering this, felt better. She glanced into the crowd, and in the midst she saw Mana smiling at her. Willow, knowing what she was going to do, took a deep breath, and began to play.

The melody started low, then it took a slow, yet suspenseful ascend in A minor. Her mouth opened.

"Summertime," she started to sing, "and the livin' is easy..."

The campers at first were uninterested, but upon hearing her melodious voice, began to watch attentively in awe as the tune of "Summertime" swept over their ears. This person, one who couldn't make a single flame appear in her hands, they thought, played with such passion and beauty, and her voice was soothing and full of tone.

As she played, Willow felt warm with comfort and joy as the music was at her fingertips. She continued to sing "Summertime", singing the phrases as if they were her own. This, this was what she truly enjoyed doing, sharing her own music and passion with those around her, hoping they would feel the same joy inside.

Suddenly, the campers gasped as Willow began to glow and shimmer. Willow, too, noticed, but she couldn't stop. Instead, she felt warmer, and played and sang with even greater joy. A spark of light rose from Willow, and floated over to the torch. The spark shimmered, and a small blue flame ignited.

More sparks rose from Willow and came to join the first one. They all landed on the torch and rejoiced in blue flares. Soon, the torch was lit with waves of blue fire, and Willow sang, "Summertime....." The last notes of the song ended. Willow got up timidly.

The campers, silent for a few moments, erupted in cheers and joyous applause. Mana shouted, "You did it, Willow!"

Afterwards, there were questions thrown around all at once. "How did she do it? Why didn't it work with us? How can a non-fire wielder light the torch?"

Matthew joined Willow on the platform, applauding, then lifted his hand in silence. Then he spoke.

"Miss Willow here has showed us something we all have forgotten over these years. The torch recognized Willow's burning passion for music as its fuel. It is passion and motivation that sparks our fire. Only one who truly embraces their fire can spark a special kind of flame, the one you see burning in this torch right now. With that said..."

Suddenly, the sky erupted with colorful sparkles and stars. The fireworks burned and filled the night sky with brightness.

As Willow watched the fireworks, she felt blissful. For the first time, she felt accepted and appreciated. Maybe she would enjoy this summer camp. Willow felt herself glow warm with pride and touched where her heart was, feeling it burn with the fire inside of her.

1zzwna.jpg

My final entry for the Fire Festival! Summer has always been my favorite season and sunsets at the beach in California are the essence of summer! This photo is special to me on so many levels - it's of my sister who is going to have a baby, for me it represents a celebration of life and makes me realize how lucky I am to be able to see a beautiful sunset on the beach anytime I want... in Southern California, we have an endless summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back