Has anyone's ACNL save data been corrupted?

jiny

( ´ ▽ ` ).。o♡
Bells
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Leif
Leif
Leif
Leif
Leif
Hey! It's Kawaii here.

I was just wondering if anyone's save data has ever been corrupted? I'm just really scared that just one day, I open my ACNL and that red box of nightmares comes to attack. And if so, how can you avoid it from happening?

I've heard of it happening on a few occasions. Some people blame the resetting trick. Some people blame digital copies. Most just think it's pure dumb luck and/or damage to the cart, 3DS, or SD card. I'm assuming hacking your game can also potentially lead to data corruption depending on what you do and such.

I personally think it's a rare thing that you'll probably never experience, but to be safe, you can look into backing up your town every few days. That way you can protect yourself from total loss and have some peace of mind.

If it's any consolation, I have a digital copy and use the reset trick like a madwoman. I've never had a single problem with my data even through a 3DS data transfer and loooong hours of gameplay. But I also take very good care of my DS and I never mess with the SD card, nor do I hack.

If you're posting this because your data's been corrupted I can only say wow I'm sorry. It's sad when we hit those rare chances on the negatives. But don't let it deter you from enjoying the game. Just build back up and, as I said, look into backing up your file every few days~

Last edited:
I have seen people post screenshots of it happening before,
but I have never had it happen to me
I hope it never does D:

I've never had my data corrupted, despite the possibilities I've come in contact with. You're more likely to get corrupted with a digital copy (SD card broken, dirty, 3DS data messed with, etc.) than with a physical copy (powering off while you're saving). There are options to backup your save, if you ever do get into it, do it often! :)

it's such a scary thought though, it reminds me of the blue screen of death or the red ring of death for xbox/pc users D: as long as you're not messing around with your sd card i think you're good.

yea Im super scared of my 2 long years being thrown down the drain T.T

This is extremely uncommon. People shouldn't worry about it, just don't power off when the game tells you not to.

Hasn't happened to me, but my boyfriend's town corrupted awhile back...and he has a physical copy. It still isn't clear exactly HOW it happened, but I think it could have been due to ejecting the cartridge without closing the software first.

I've been terrified of this happening to me ever since and make regular backups of my towns every night.

If you're posting this because your data's been corrupted I can only say wow I'm sorry. It's sad when we hit those rare chances on the negatives. But don't let it deter you from enjoying the game. Just build back up and, as I said, look into backing up your file every few days~

No, my data's never been corrupted. I just got the game on 4th of July, and I'm going to reset my town as soon as I get my 3DS back. I'm just asking because it sounds veryscary. So yeah.

No, my data's never been corrupted. I just got the game on 4th of July, and I'm going to reset my town as soon as I get my 3DS back. I'm just asking because it sounds veryscary. So yeah.

Ok good~ Yeah don't be too worried. It's a very rare occurrence and there are ways to back up, so don't let it worry you too much.

Back