• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Happy Home Designer - Frequently Asked Questions (Got a question? Look here!)

Does anyone know what's the deal with villagers wearing hats or accessories? I'm starting to think that they'll only wear certain things in certain facilities (glasses in the schools, nurse cap in the hospital, etc). I was hoping you could just pick something for them to wear yourself and now I'm kinda doubting that that's how it works.

Are the AC amiibo figurines compatible with HHD? I've been looking all over but haven't been able to find any info on this.

Does anyone know what's the deal with villagers wearing hats or accessories? I'm starting to think that they'll only wear certain things in certain facilities (glasses in the schools, nurse cap in the hospital, etc). I was hoping you could just pick something for them to wear yourself and now I'm kinda doubting that that's how it works.

If you put villagers into a community scene, by default they wear clothes that match the scene, and they have their own default clothes in their home. However, you can change their (and your) clothing and accessories by selecting the the character and dragging and dropping onto a clothing icon. There you can dress them up in any of the clothes you've unlocked.

Are the AC amiibo figurines compatible with HHD? I've been looking all over but haven't been able to find any info on this.

It appears they will work with the game, although it's not known for sure with what functionality. The villager one is already known to work, and to give you a trophy.

I dont know why I've just found this thread, but if anyone has any questions, or things they want checked in the game, I can look them up. :3

Also, in regards to the first post, you might want to include:

Is it true that villagers will like anything at all that you design, even if it's not what they asked for?
Might want to say you can throw away their required items when you redesign / edit a villagers house. The items are only required the first time you design for them, any later expansions you can do whatever you like without consequence. (so far. The rating option update will likely be affected when it releases.)

Not sure if there are any outstanding questions from before the 16th, but that's as far back as I checked on here.

I've noticed from the unboxing videos on youtube that all of the games with the NFC combo contain a special NPC card, while the normal games always have a normal villager card...

All copies of the game come with a special npc card. I haven't seen any come with a normal villager card. - I didn't get the NFC reader and I got Timmy Nook.

Thanks, I totally forgot about talking them inside the buildings! Yeah, as you said, the dialogue is totally dependent on what role they're in in the community building. Also, you can't talk to characters in their home: talking to them in their home just gives you the option to redesign or rebuild their house.

If you tell them you don't want to redesign they will then talk normally to you. (Mostly just how greatful / happy they are with their house and you, apparently.) Also once you design a house you have to save and start a new day to design again, but before that you can visit villagers houses in which they won't ask if you want to edit anything at all then. (also it'll be night when you visit after work.)

It appears they will work with the game, although it's not known for sure with what functionality. The villager one is already known to work, and to give you a trophy.

I think I read that the animals will have the same functionality as the cards. So if you have a KK Slider amiibo figurine and a KK Slider amiibo card, they should do the same things. The Villager is the only different one, since so far there isn't a card for him.

If you tell them you don't want to redesign they will then talk normally to you. (Mostly just how greatful / happy they are with their house and you, apparently.) Also once you design a house you have to save and start a new day to design again, but before that you can visit villagers houses in which they won't ask if you want to edit anything at all then. (also it'll be night when you visit after work.)

Hm, really? I don't remember getting dialogue but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I'll try again.

Hm, really? I don't remember getting dialogue but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I'll try again.

I know they have a couple different things to say (cause they done different emotions), but it's not much. I just remember v3lla saying a villager was really happy with their house when they spoke to one. And I've accidentally hit cancel when I was going to edit, and they spoke to me, but wouldn't let me edit afterwards.

I think I read that the animals will have the same functionality as the cards. So if you have a KK Slider amiibo figurine and a KK Slider amiibo card, they should do the same things. The Villager is the only different one, since so far there isn't a card for him.
Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say the figures will just work the same as the cards, since they'll both have the same chip number data (like how all Mario amiibo have the same chip data regardless of what version you have [smash/MP/gold/silver])

Two questions: What's the name character limit?

And do QR codes work like they do in New Leaf?

Two questions: What's the name character limit?

And do QR codes work like they do in New Leaf?
The game isn't out in English so I don't think it's known but I'm assuming it's the same as NL

and yes for both

Whats a NPC card?
Well NPC stands for non playable content/character so technically an NPC Card is any villager card, but I'm going to assume you meant special NPC card which refer to non villager characters like Isabelle, tom nook, etc..

So in HDD, you go outside and there's four villagers outside waiting for their house to get designed. Can you do all four, or you can only choose one?

So in HDD, you go outside and there's four villagers outside waiting for their house to get designed. Can you do all four, or you can only choose one?

You can only choose one. After you finish the first one you can choose another but the same villagers might not be there. or save and start a new day.

Last edited:
Maybe add something about street pass .;-)

A quick online search re: Streetpass (with results from other discussion forums, including input from those who are playing in Japan) indicates that there are no Streetpass features for HHD (though potentially Spotpass).

Am updating the main post to include comments and suggestions from Jinglefruit and the gang over the last day (apologies--I was out in the middle of nowhere overnight with no computer access!).

Thanks to all for the Qs, input and suggestions!

No street pass?!

- - - Post Merge - - -

That's a shame

Yep, can confirm. At this moment, there is absolutely no streetpass or online functionality besides getting the 7-Eleven DLC through their Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Yep, can confirm. At this moment, there is absolutely no streetpass or online functionality besides getting the 7-Eleven DLC through their Wi-Fi.

Which, by the way, I want to get this out there in case anybody is wondering: If you visit Japan with your NON-Japanese game, don't expect to get the DLC from the Japanese 7-11s even if you go during the limited time periods they offer it. Did not work with New Leaf (I live in Japan but play the US New Leaf), so I suspect it won't work with HHD either.

I know. It sucks. :(

Back