• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Satoru Iwata Passed Away on July 11th

His reformation of the gaming industry and of millions of minds have left a mark that a rare few can or ever will match. Satoru Iwata, you will be missed greatly, and remembered with the warmth and admiration that you exerted so wonderfully yourself.

A day after his death. At Nintendo headquarters.
It has to be a sign
image.jpg1_zpsekvt7wdt.jpg

It's Rainbow Road! He is being sent 'directly' to heaven. :)

Aahh but honestly, I remember waking up on Monday, checking my Twitter and seeing a tweet that said "I can't believe Iwata passed away". I just felt so... In shock?? It was so unexpected. I just couldn't believe it. Then I saw even more tweets and I just felt a sinking feeling in my chest. I've honestly never felt so upset over like a celebrity dying before (I'm not sure how to describe it lol). I mean I have experienced the death of a family member and I was absolutely devastated over that but... For some reason, when like celebrities or famous people die, I don't usually feel upset. I mean, it is sad, but it's like... I lack the connection with them. But with Iwata... Yeah, I won't lie, I felt like crying to be honest!

I think Iwata had something special that no gaming president could ever have. Sony don't have it. Microsoft don't have it. But Nintendo... They did have it. Because of Iwata. Iwata was just such a genuine person with such a kind soul and someone who deeply cared about their customers and their videogames. Iwata wanted to make the best games possible. He wanted to create games that EVERYONE could enjoy, regardless of their age, gender, race, sexuality, and so on and so forth. I always hate it when I see people bash Nintendo because they make "kiddy games" or that their games are too "cartoony". Because... 1... How is that necessarily a bad thing? And 2, they're REALLY fun. Nintendo have impacted my life so much. Animal Crossing was the first game I ever played, and from that day on, I realised that videogames were really fun, and could be enjoyed by everyone. I felt a bit afraid at first, because I thought I wouldn't be good at it. But then I realised, hey, I could be good at it. And it's all thanks to Nintendo. And all the people that work there. Including Iwata. I mean he even CUT his salary when Nintendo weren't doing so well, just to stop other people lower down in the company from being fired. He cared that much about his employees. He wanted them to carry on being creative and making amazing games.

I mean, Iwata was one of us. He connected with all of us. Maybe that's why we are all so upset.

I'm sad that he has gone. He is irreplaceable, and truly an incredible man. Nintendo will never be the same without him. But I know that, for sure, they will carry on making great games, and Iwata's legacy will live on.

I am directly sending my thanks and love to you, Iwata.

Last edited:
This just sorta hit me....

Do you think this why they did the puppet thing at E3?

I found out about his passing Sunday evening looking through my instagram and I saw something about Iwata died and I thought it was a hoax, but when I looked it up....

Thank You

Thank you, for making people laugh.
thank you, for touching the lives of millions of people.
Thank you, for making the games that would shape my childhood.
Thank you, for being a confident leader.
Thank you, for making sense of this huge industry we know as gaming.
Thank you, Mr. Iwata.

May your soul rest at ease.

I found out on Reddit..
I was reading something about fantasy life.
And I saw the banner said something about Iwata passing away, so I clicked the thing that said "Learn more here"
I thought it was a joke.. Sadly it wasn't.

Iwata, you'll be missed. Thank you for being so awesome and caring about video games, and not the wallets of the people who play them. <3

maxresdefault.jpg

Rest in peace, banana man.

Yes, R.I.P. Satoru (Banana Man) Iwata...
May you entertain the angels and better yet
watch over the Gamers' Union and look as
it grows and smile. Because you changed
the world and completed lives. You made
a difference to millions of people. We're
proud of you. Our idol, our distant friend,
our influence.
"On my business card, I'm a corporate president,
In my mind, I am a game developer,
but in my heart, I am a gamer."
-Satoru Iwata

I wonder if Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, and all the others are riding up on their karts with him to heaven on that rainbow road....

RIP Iwata, we all already miss you ; ;

Last edited:
is nintendo ever gonna post anything again.. ? i mean its been almost a week and the splatfest is tomorrow.. i know it's a difficult time, but they havent done much to commemorate him, besides this banner on the iwata asks page and some short tweets days after.. i mean really..
they should really release the games he worked on on the 3ds eshop (earthbound,pokemon gold/silver, balloon flight..) and donate some proceeds to cancer research.

hope there atleast nintendo minute coming later..

Last edited:
is nintendo ever gonna post anything again.. ? i mean its been almost a week and the splatfest is tomorrow.. i know it's a difficult time, but they havent done much to commemorate him, besides this banner on the iwata asks page and some short tweets days after.. i mean really..
they should really release the games he worked on on the 3ds eshop (earthbound,pokemon gold/silver, balloon flight..) and donate some proceeds to cancer research.

hope there atleast nintendo minute coming later..

Like us, they're probably still reeling from his death.

I hope they do something to commemorate him in a constructive way as you've mentioned, but I think they have every reason and right to mourn for as long as they need before reaching out to the public. Patience is our greatest asset and showing humility and respect might be more important than demanding more coverage in light of this beautiful man's tragic passing.

I'm definetly singing.
Woke up, checked my twitter, saw trending hashtags.
RIP Iwata. He was a wonderful man.

Back